Choosing a light for new setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Choosing a light for new setup

Hello,

I am new to planted tanks but I used to run a 25 gallon fully automated sps reef tank that I had to dismantle because of a move a few years ago. It was a really sad day for me.

I am now in a position to start another tank but I am looking to go with a high teck planted one this time.

The tank will be fairly small around 20 gallons 23.5-24" long 15" high and 14 1/4" wide.

I am planning to grow mostly one plant (Micranthemum tweediei or "Monte Carlo") as a lush carpet with some hardscape and a few neon tetras. Looking for a very clean setup.

I have been looking at the 24" Current USA Satellite Plus Pro for the tank. From the review I have seen it puts out about 75 par at 12" so about the depth of my tank after soil and accounting for some rim.

In your opinion would this be bright enough? I have had a hard time finding the required par levels for some plants.

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. I was interested in the current pro partial because of the clean build built in timer and dimming. I had this with my reef tank on my lights and it was nice but not required.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

I have a current led plus pro and like it a lot. 60-70 is where high light starts, and that's what this lights puts out at 22 inches of water or so (I measured with a par meter). This light makes my rotalas start turning red at 18 inches or so which is another good sign that it puts out high light.

I love the sleek look of it but be warned, the light brackets from current are big and ugly. You'll need to go a custom route to keep a completely sleek build. Besides that, price may be an issue for some people. I barely use the built in settings and rather just set the daylight colors manually all at 100%. I had it around 50% before I had co2.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info on this light, good to have first hand experience.

Bump: Thanks for the info on this light, good to have first hand experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode