LED bulb source or name? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
LED bulb source or name?

I've been using these bulbs for a while and would like some more but now can't find them. Looking for the first bulb Roy lists in this posting and called, "Corncob Spotlight LED" but I was finding them called "downlight" at the time and now I don't know if I'm missing the magic name or if they are just not offered.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ted-tanks.html
Roy was promoting them as a mod for the old light fixture that so many have but I also like to screw them into any bulb holder as a stand alone item.
Anybody know where they've gone?
I've got one but want two!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED downlight bulb.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	880647  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
"e27 horizontal led" or technically us plugs are e26 but pretty much interchangable and e27 has more results (make sure bulb is rated down to 115) but aliexpress may be cheaper than amazon for these. corn brings up a lot of the ... more 3d corn looking ones than the flat one sided ones.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.dx.com/p/kinfire-e2715w-...5-265v-2047485

Never had much "luck" w/ Alibaba.. Just frustrates me.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Spot on with that info! Horizontal is the key word that I was missing in my search. Makes sense but had not thought of it! Even a blind hog misses the acorn if they have no idea of what they want!!!
Thanks much!

I was finding lots of corn but just wanted the corn all on one side?

I will often check other sites but the "evil bay" often gives me the best offer as I do often want a US shipper, even if it costs a few more.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-18-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

Seen these on amazon. 2 bulbs and dual flexible gooseneck. 2 or 3 color bulbs available, If that spectrum graph is right might be a good bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/Growstar-Spec...mw_13963425011

Hereís one for aquarium thatís also dimmable supposedly at adjustable brightness (0% / 10% / 25% / 50% / 100%) RGB and white, 88 LED

https://www.amazon.com/Relassy-Repla...relass&sr=8-17
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, folks! Got what I wanted on the way.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are you using these for Rich? If you don't mind me asking. I'm looking for alternate lighting options and have never seen bulbs like that. They look cool!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I've been using these bulbs for a while and would like some more but now can't find them. Looking for the first bulb Roy lists in this posting and called, "Corncob Spotlight LED" but I was finding them called "downlight" at the time and now I don't know if I'm missing the magic name or if they are just not offered.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ted-tanks.html
Roy was promoting them as a mod for the old light fixture that so many have but I also like to screw them into any bulb holder as a stand alone item.
Anybody know where they've gone?
I've got one but want two!
Hi @PlantedRich,

Sorry, just got back online......glad you found them. There are a lot of sellers on Evilbay - try searching variants of "G24/E27 5050SMD Horizontal Plug LED Corn Light Ceiling Lamp 110V/220V 5/7/9/13W".

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
What are you using these for Rich? If you don't mind me asking. I'm looking for alternate lighting options and have never seen bulbs like that. They look cool!
I like to keep my lighting flexible as well as cheap, so I use lots of different small type lights, rather than a single large/expensive LED fixture. These bulb come in lots of different wattage, number of LED and colors, so that makes them handy for me to screw into most any bulbholder that I want to place around the tanks of various sizes. I can never say really how much light I have nor how much I actually have, so there are times that I've felt like I needed just a small light and stick one of these in a lamp that swivels out over the tank or other times, I've wanted to have just a bit more over one particular plant and lay it on a glass top. At other times, I like to have lighting come on in "stages" rather than all at once, so these bulbs on separate timers gets me a low priced sunset! If all else is out, they screw into the old plastic canopies that used to use incandescent bulbs to really make the glow. Part of the neat design is that the metal used as a heat sink for the LED swivels on the portion we screw in so that we can direct the light where we want it. I like to play with lighting but I also like the price to stay real low?
For $5-10 dollars, I can buy quite a lot of these and mix and match to get what I feel at the time is right. Just find them very cheap and flexible as bulbholders or lamps are pretty much free if I look around. I live and move around a large college and that means folks set the study lamps out on the curb when they don't fit in the car to move!
I'm going to have to write down the HORIZONTAL part of the name!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I like to keep my lighting flexible as well as cheap, so I use lots of different small type lights, rather than a single large/expensive LED fixture. These bulb come in lots of different wattage, number of LED and colors, so that makes them handy for me to screw into most any bulbholder that I want to place around the tanks of various sizes. I can never say really how much light I have nor how much I actually have, so there are times that I've felt like I needed just a small light and stick one of these in a lamp that swivels out over the tank or other times, I've wanted to have just a bit more over one particular plant and lay it on a glass top. At other times, I like to have lighting come on in "stages" rather than all at once, so these bulbs on separate timers gets me a low priced sunset! If all else is out, they screw into the old plastic canopies that used to use incandescent bulbs to really make the glow. Part of the neat design is that the metal used as a heat sink for the LED swivels on the portion we screw in so that we can direct the light where we want it. I like to play with lighting but I also like the price to stay real low?
For $5-10 dollars, I can buy quite a lot of these and mix and match to get what I feel at the time is right. Just find them very cheap and flexible as bulbholders or lamps are pretty much free if I look around. I live and move around a large college and that means folks set the study lamps out on the curb when they don't fit in the car to move!
I'm going to have to write down the HORIZONTAL part of the name!
Thanks Rich!

I may order some of these to play with as well. I have been running my tank off of the 23W CFL bulbs, but noticed I have massive problems every time the plants fill in (took me too long to realize that was a problem). So I am trying to increase lighting, both spread and power. Like you, I like things cheap and flexible! The CFL's are great, but you can only fit so many over an area with those large dome reflectors.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Thanks Rich!

I may order some of these to play with as well. I have been running my tank off of the 23W CFL bulbs, but noticed I have massive problems every time the plants fill in (took me too long to realize that was a problem). So I am trying to increase lighting, both spread and power. Like you, I like things cheap and flexible! The CFL's are great, but you can only fit so many over an area with those large dome reflectors.
Yes, I know the space problem and one of the great benefits of LED is the small size for the amount of light we get. I had converted an old plastic lid to fit CFL but then wanted more light without more space, but it was simple to unscrew the CFL and add these.
One point on these is that the heat sink does get reasonably hot since there are 52 LED, so I did make more venting on the backside of the plastic and added a tinfoil heat shield between the sink and the plastic. Not certain it was needed but I wanted to avoid warping the plastic before rather than kicking myself after. Since the old plastic cover was pretty much wasted, due to the lack of good light, I felt it worth the gamble.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-18-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode