5Likes
  • 4 Post By Kubla
  • 1 Post By AguaScape

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting options breakdown.. strange tank size. help

I have a 10 gallon, 17.7 x 12H x 10D (50cm long), low tech low-medium light with mostly low growing plants.
Relatively it says 2 to 5 watts per gallon.. so im looking for 30 watts roughly?
LED, sleek design. Dont want flush with the top. I like the controls on the top, but not necessary.

I was looking at:
Nemolight 36W
AquaMaxx Prism LED Light fixture 24W
MICMOL- Smart LED Aquarium light, dimable, programmable 30W
Twinstar C doesnt have one that fits my tank (50cm)
Chirhiros RGB Aqaurium LED 50W

Am I missing something? does anyone have any comments on any of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I really like my Kessil A80 Tuna Sun. I've got it hooked up to the controller and the lighting scheme is now totally customized. My tank dimensions are 24L x 7H x 14D. So far so good.

Last edited by shattersea; 04-16-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: grammar
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wish we could let the whole watts/gallon thing just die. Judging the useful energy a light will put out by watts is like deciding how fast a car will go by looking at it's gas mileage.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would definitely recommend a light that has dimming and is programmable. You will be much happier in the long run. The MICMOL 30w seems like a pretty solid option for adjustability and power output. Hopefully someone has personal experience with it and can tell you what the color looks like. You probably want a light that is rated higher than the maximum light you plan to use (if it is dimmable). There are a few reasons that I prefer a higher output lamp. First, you will be suspending over the tank which may require more power than a light positioned at the top of the tank. The second and third reasons are that you will be running it at a fraction of it's rated power which will give you both more control and the LEDs will run cooler making it last much longer. I prefer to not run lights at or near 100% of their rated power.
livebearerlove likes this.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
I really like my Kessil A80 Tuna Sun. I've got it hooked up to the controller and the lighting scheme is now totally customized. My tank dimensions are 24L x 7H x 14D. So far so good.
Thanks for the recommendation. I dont consider that a sleek design, as it looks like a drone, lol. Im really considering the above ones- anything you have heard about those?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mr Happy light..

At that price point I'd take the Chiros over it..
Chihiros WRGB Sunrise Sunset Bluetooth LED Light Water Plant Grow Commander 4
US $155.90

45 states 18-26.. not sure how 17.7 would fit though..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Mr Happy light..

At that price point I'd take the Chiros over it..
Chihiros WRGB Sunrise Sunset Bluetooth LED Light Water Plant Grow Commander 4
US $155.90

45 states 18-26.. not sure how 17.7 would fit though..
The 30 says 12-18 on amazon.
But that's the problem Im running into with all the other lights... I guess I learned a new aquarium lesson, again. ha! I cycle without lights- so I have some time to find something. I didnt mean to be overly critical of the flying saucer... It is not what I pictured in my head though.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-17-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Im still asleep
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
No worries. I like it because the quality of the light is nice, the shimmer looks beautiful, and it's easy to customize. I needed something that would allow for emergent plants at the top, and a bar type light mounted on the tank just got in the way. Could you hang an 18" Twinstar suspended off brackets attached to your stand?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

UPDATE: so I bought the Chiros... got it all hooked up and it DOESNT FIT. Its too small.
So when going to get the largest size, I just splurged and got the Wifi controlled version as well with oodles of light settings as I need the tank design to stay sleek and I plan to put all the chords into the desktop underneath.

Chihiros Aquarium LED Light Aquatic RGB LED Lamp, Full Spectrum for Plant Grow, WRGB Serial APP Timing Control Sunrise Sunset

Its black, and larger, but it will cover the length of the tank and the top will blend in with the above shelf (so I think i may even see it less). Ill review this once it comes...

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lighting options breakdown.. strange tank size. help

Here is some info led requirements
The appropriate measurement for LED driven aquariums is lumens per litre.
Instead of watts per gallon.

Lumens is the most accurate measurement of light intensity. That being said you have to make sure you have the right spectrum for growing plants i.e. lots of white LEDs and a mix of red green and blue.
Pretty much Calculatethe same way you would calculate watts per gallon with flourescent lights.
I.e. my 15 tall tank has 18 W of grow LEDs on it. That works at the lumens per litre of around 32. Perfect for most plants especially with a touch of DIY CO2.

Just planted so work in progress. Are used to have 36 w of T5 full spectrum With aluminum mirror reflectors. That set up used to grow plants like nobody's business. The LEDs I replaced it with are just as bright if not more.

After two days I can already see the effects of the new lights on the plants compared to the crappy lights at the aquarium store they were under.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
No worries. I like it because the quality of the light is nice, the shimmer looks beautiful, and it's easy to customize. I needed something that would allow for emergent plants at the top, and a bar type light mounted on the tank just got in the way. Could you hang an 18" Twinstar suspended off brackets attached to your stand?
I dont have a stand... I have a hand made countertop with a shelf above. Ill post pics once the light I purchased comes...

Crossing my fingers it works. Its more powerful, but as others mentioned I can run it dimmed slightly, or even put it higher up and out of the way.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode