Amount of Light in 36 Gallon Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amount of Light in 36 Gallon Bowfront

Hey folks! I've seen a few threads about this but I'm still a bit confused. I have a 30" Finnex Planted + fixture on my 36 gallon bowfront. Is this considered, low, medium, or high light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrodonRacer View Post
Hey folks! I've seen a few threads about this but I'm still a bit confused. I have a 30" Finnex Planted + fixture on my 36 gallon bowfront. Is this considered, low, medium, or high light?

This gets confusing sort of..

sometimes they call the 24/7 "planted plus 24/7" or ar you referring to the orig. no program planted plus?

If "standard" dimensions 30" x 15" x 21" deep youwill be hard pressed to do medium light over a lot of the tank at the substrate..
and will depend on model, ass stated above..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think regardless of version (OG, 24/7, SE, CC, v.2), you will be lucky to get low light out of a single one of these on a 21" deep tank.

Sadly, I don't have a PAR meter, but I've read most of these range between 40-60 PAR @ 18" deep (depending on model). It's going to be somewhat less than that.

If you would like more light and have a way to hang these, I would highly recommend a Chihiros A series tossed near the front for a carpet or lower height plants. The 24" (60cm) version is the most cost effective at right around $35. It jumps to like $65 for the 80cm version...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Orig "Planted Plus" was reported to have a PAR of 68 @ 18"..
and this:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ar-values.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! It is a 24/7 SE model. How much improvement would there be if I used two of these fixtures instead of one?

In addition, are there any light fixtures that would give me medium-high light on their own?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

Astrodon, I have the same 36 gal bowfront with a Finnex planted + 24/7 SE model light. Low and medium light plants do fine for me.
However the light spread is pretty narrow. I just ordered a Finnex Fugeray to add to this tank. It doesnt have the 24/7 feature, which is fine, dont really care about that. But it does include the 660nm red led's that the SE model has.
The new light should arrive by Thursday and I'm going the combination of the two lights will help with carpet plants and lillies at the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode