Fluval 3.0 vs Finnex PP 24/7 CC Seneye - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate you doing that. It's so kind of you to be willing to take the time! I'll keep checking back every so often 🙂 Do you know if there's a way to get notifications when people reply to posts? I don't know how to do that, so I just check my posts every few days, haha. I emailed admin to ask, but I haven't heard back...


I can send you a DM when itís done, that should give you a notification.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower
 
Patric's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 17
I have looked extensively at all lights available for my new six foot, 125G tank and I will go with the 3.0.
varanidguy likes this.

10 G / 20 G long, low-tech planted / 125 G, working on the aquascape and collecting hardware
Patric is offline  
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate you doing that. It's so kind of you to be willing to take the time! I'll keep checking back every so often 🙂 Do you know if there's a way to get notifications when people reply to posts? I don't know how to do that, so I just check my posts every few days, haha. I emailed admin to ask, but I haven't heard back...
Here is the ladder test that you requested! I apologize, with the way the plants have grown in, I had to do these measurements about 14.5 inches away from the face of the fixture. Also, these measurements were taken without a glass lid, just water between the sensor and the light.

Every % was taken with white only, and the final "max" was taken with every color setting set to 100%.

I would subtract at least 10% from each value to account for an extra 2" + lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finnex PP 24.7 CC ramp test (14.5 inches).PNG
Views:	16
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	883181  



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by varanidguy; 06-24-2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Adding info/suggestion
varanidguy is online now  
 
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! These measurements are incredibly helpful to me, as well as many others, I'm sure!
I really appreciate you taking the time to do this! Now I just need to figure out what my light diffuser screen deducts. Lol! Long story short, I bought a diamond light diffuser (the kind that go over florescent ceiling fixtures) in an attempt to reduce the shimmer/strobing effect caused by the leds. It works amazing, and really calms things down visually, but I have no idea how it affects par values. (If anyone else hates the shimmer effect like I do, give that a try - it works great) For now I have removed it though so that I can guess at my par based on varadidguy's numbers 😃. Thanks again Varadidguy! You rock!
varanidguy likes this.
Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! These measurements are incredibly helpful to me, as well as many others, I'm sure!
I really appreciate you taking the time to do this! Now I just need to figure out what my light diffuser screen deducts. Lol! Long story short, I bought a diamond light diffuser (the kind that go over florescent ceiling fixtures) in an attempt to reduce the shimmer/strobing effect caused by the leds. It works amazing, and really calms things down visually, but I have no idea how it affects par values. (If anyone else hates the shimmer effect like I do, give that a try - it works great) For now I have removed it though so that I can guess at my par based on varadidguy's numbers 😃. Thanks again Varadidguy! You rock!


Glad to help in any way that I can! Given the extra 2Ē, lid, and diffuser, you could probably run it 100% without having to worry too much about having too much light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 AM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
Thank you for the advice. I was running it that way, but got tons of algae, so I thought maybe it was still too bright. But it could also have been the fact I was using the custom 24/7 settings. I had it at 100% at 12:00 & 3:00, 50% at 6:00, and then off for the rest. I've read that the long 3 hour ramping up and down could cause problems. With my settings it would actually come on in the 9:00 time slot and then slowly ramp up to the 12:00 setting - and vice versa, ramping down from 6:00-9:00. I'll try it again on a wall timer now that I have that super helpful par data 😃.
Did you notice much par dropping off toward the front and back of the tank? (mine is 12 inches fron front to back)
Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Thank you for the advice. I was running it that way, but got tons of algae, so I thought maybe it was still too bright. But it could also have been the fact I was using the custom 24/7 settings. I had it at 100% at 12:00 & 3:00, 50% at 6:00, and then off for the rest. I've read that the long 3 hour ramping up and down could cause problems. With my settings it would actually come on in the 9:00 time slot and then slowly ramp up to the 12:00 setting - and vice versa, ramping down from 6:00-9:00. I'll try it again on a wall timer now that I have that super helpful par data 😃.
Did you notice much par dropping off toward the front and back of the tank? (mine is 12 inches fron front to back)


What does your dosing regimen look like? Are you running co2? Depending on the setup, you could actually be running too little light which can also cause an algae bloom. Increasing the PAR in my tank actually helped curb algae by getting the plants to grow much better.

The ramping could be contributing too because, as Iím sure you know, algae can utilize far lower light intensities to grow. Balance isnít only fertilizers and water parameters, itís also balancing that against light. Try connecting it to a timer so itís on and off with no ramp.

Unfortunately all measurements are taken right under the light, but I did move the sensor around and yes, PAR does drop off towards the front and back. But 12Ē front to back with this light shouldnít be too bad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
I am dosing tropica plant growth daily (weekly dose divided). I run diy co2 through a ceramic diffuser and can see the plants pearlng. I think you are right about the light. With all the ramping up and down, there were a lot of low light periods. I suspect that was contributing to the algae problem. But my plants have had good growth, even with the 24/7 setting, so it's really confusing. I honestly can't decide if I have too much, or not enough light, lol! Here is a pic of my tank when I started it on April 14th and another taken today (two months later). It's definitly been doing better since I added the co2 and set the lights on a wall timer. But I'm still getting a fair bit or algae...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1555271359707_1561606103152.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	892.7 KB
ID:	883353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_184119_1561606122243.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	883355  

Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
<a href='http://i.imgur.com/nrFIsSH' title=''><img src='http://i.imgur.com/nrFIsSH.jpg' alt='' title='Hosted by imgur.com' /></a>

<a href='http://i.imgur.com/fUDIgVN' title=''><img src='http://i.imgur.com/fUDIgVN.jpg' alt='' title='Hosted by imgur.com' /></a>
Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
I am dosing tropica plant growth daily (weekly dose divided). I run diy co2 through a ceramic diffuser and can see the plants pearlng. I think you are right about the light. With all the ramping up and down, there were a lot of low light periods. I suspect that was contributing to the algae problem. But my plants have had good growth, even with the 24/7 setting, so it's really confusing. I honestly can't decide if I have too much, or not enough light, lol! Here is a pic of my tank when I started it on April 14th and another taken today (two months later). It's definitly been doing better since I added the co2 and set the lights on a wall timer. But I'm still getting a fair bit or algae...
I mean, I think it looks really good! What kind of algae are you getting? Any close up shots of it and the plants?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks! I think the algae is getting better since I put the lights on a wall timer and started the co2 &#x1f603;. It's mostly on the older leaves, wood and rocks now. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-17~2_compress61_1561664573933.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	883387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-23~2_compress84_1561664587934.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	883389  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-00~2_compress95_1561664601139.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	883391  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-35~2_compress12_1561664621445.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	883395  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-28~2_compress99_1561664634725.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	883397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-51~2_compress12_1561664654574.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	883399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-30-41~3_compress80_1561664666355.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	883401  

Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Thanks! I think the algae is getting better since I put the lights on a wall timer and started the co2 &#x1f603;. It's mostly on the older leaves, wood and rocks now. Here are some pics.
Your algae issue looks very mild, actually. I wouldn't worry about it much on the hard scape, unless you simply don't like the look of it. It is beneficial in that it will consume some nutrients and feed some fauna.

As far as the algae on the plants, most of what's already there will not go away without manual removal. I'd suggest a good pruning/trimming and see how the new growth fares. I think you've got it, though.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower
 
Nocturnal Flower's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
Thanks so much for all the support and advice! I think I sort of panicked when the algae first started because it was spreading so quickly. I've already removed most of the affected leaves, so it looks better in the pics than it did a few weeks ago. I don't mind it on the hardscape, but I was so worried when it started covering all the plants! I'm going to take your advice and trim away the rest of the affected leaves and see how it goes. Thanks for being so kind and willing to help me (a total stranger) out with the par measurements and friendly feedback!
varanidguy likes this.
Nocturnal Flower is offline  
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Thanks so much for all the support and advice! I think I sort of panicked when the algae first started because it was spreading so quickly. I've already removed most of the affected leaves, so it looks better in the pics than it did a few weeks ago. I don't mind it on the hardscape, but I was so worried when it started covering all the plants! I'm going to take your advice and trim away the rest of the affected leaves and see how it goes. Thanks for being so kind and willing to help me (a total stranger) out with the par measurements and friendly feedback!


No problem! Iím no pro like a lot of the people on here, but Iíve learned a lot and am still learning. Please donít hesitate to PM me if you need anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is online now  
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 725
@varanidguy

What length fixture did you use for the 24/7 CC PAR numbers. Only reason I ask is that I'm running the 36" one on my 3-foot tank. Right now the plants I have are mainly low-light, but I bought the light since my tank is only 10" deep so I figured it would be non-limiting if I want to change it up. Right now it's hanging around 15" off the top of the substrate.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finnex PP 24/7 CC and Fugeray PP PAR readings varanidguy Lighting 4 11-30-2018 04:21 PM
2 x Aquasky 2.0 vs 1 Fluval 3.0 Cooper Patterson Lighting 9 11-25-2018 04:57 PM
Torn between fluval 3.0 and my unknown alternative options WetrootsNH Lighting 13 10-30-2018 10:12 AM
Finnex Fugeray Plated + vs 24/7 SE klinger988 Lighting 4 06-28-2017 01:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome