LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
Yeah, I ordered the KL model not too long ago thinking it was the newest/best and returned it for the CRV with the 660nm reds. I'm happy with it.

- I'll say again that had Fluval made a 30" 3.0, I would have kept it. 24" is too short for a 29g.
$140 for the 36" free shipping from Petco last week.

But this week's deal is even better... coulda saved $4.80 lol. Did the math with the new promo they're offering and its $135.20 for the 36". The 48" is about $150. Beats a Finnex 48" on Amazon was $160, but I haven't shopped a deal on the 24/7s. Been waiting months for these sales at Petco. (additional 9% off via discounted gift cards from cardpool)

There are ways around MAP (minimum advertised price) mwahaha. More light, less money, sounds good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
If figuring out how to use petcos sale stuff is too much effort like it is for me kensfish still does 15% off the 3.0s with coupon code "fluval" but it doesn't apply to the nano anymore :-)
Quote:
Quote:
If figuring out how to use petcos sale stuff is too much effort like it is for me kensfish still does 15% off the 3.0s with coupon code "fluval" but it doesn't apply to the nano anymore :-)

Where were you with that code last week!? :-)

Looks like they don’t add on tax. Comes out to the same price as my big work around since they don’t do tax, tho that’s with my local sales tax rate at 9.25%. Which I was using discounted gift cards to negate, but if my local sales tax were less my work around saves a few dollars. Well... like $1.40 for each percent.
Petco has 20% right now. Code Spring20. $134.99 for the 36" plus free shipping. Loving this light, it is a lot brighter than the finnex I had!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 AM
Planted Member

I just ordered one of the 36" 3.0s for my 40b low tech. Right now its got one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and its just not cutting it. Ive got the smaller version on my 10g and it works great considering low tech. The algae is very controllable with the current live stock. The 40b however is not very controllable and the plants arent doing very good IMHO.

Hopefully it works out.
varanidguy likes this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I just ordered one of the 36" 3.0s for my 40b low tech. Right now its got one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and its just not cutting it. Ive got the smaller version on my 10g and it works great considering low tech. The algae is very controllable with the current live stock. The 40b however is not very controllable and the plants arent doing very good IMHO.

Hopefully it works out.

It will help a lot because you can fine tune it! Figure out that “sweet spot” for low tech and it’s all gravy. And the beauty is if you ever want to go high tech, you don’t need to replace it, just ramp up the intensity. However you may need to get a second light to cover the full spread of the tank, but that’s the 40b’s fault, not the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:35 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
It will help a lot because you can fine tune it! Figure out that “sweet spot” for low tech and it’s all gravy. And the beauty is if you ever want to go high tech, you don’t need to replace it, just ramp up the intensity. However you may need to get a second light to cover the full spread of the tank, but that’s the 40b’s fault, not the light.

Appreciate the input. With the 24" light its just too short, hoping the 36 will take care of the dead spots on the end. The front to back could use a little bit currently but its doable.

I still need to silicone the glass top to get rid of the black center strip. Its very annoying.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Appreciate the input. With the 24" light its just too short, hoping the 36 will take care of the dead spots on the end. The front to back could use a little bit currently but its doable.

I still need to silicone the glass top to get rid of the black center strip. Its very annoying.

It’ll help a lot. And for low tech and low light plants, you’ll likely only need the one light.

Yeah I just removed that stupid thing and left it as two glass plates lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelums View Post
Petco has 20% right now. Code Spring20. $134.99 for the 36" plus free shipping. Loving this light, it is a lot brighter than the finnex I had!
Ken's fish has a 15% discount and they don't charge tax ... since they have a lower advertised price then Petco the 15% still works out to more or less the same price as Petco... until you add the sales tax that Petco collects (Kensfish does not).

The workaround to the tax is 9% discounted online-only giftcards. For me all that does is negate the tax. If you live in a state that has no sales tax... then the savings is $12-13 via discounted gift cards.

The saving grace for Petco for me, since sales tax here is the nighest in the nation... pals points. In the end Petco gives me another $5.

And technically/legally, you're supposed to pay your state's sales tax on purchases from sites that don't collect the sales tax for you. The site isn't obligated to collect the tax if they have no presence in your state, but YOU still have the obligation to do so. There was a case involving the state of Connecticut(?) and Newegg and that in the end resulted in Newegg handing over data to the state so the state could send out tax invoices for the past 3 years + interest on sales tax that they didn't collect from buyers in the state.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 04-23-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fact check
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Planted Member

Yep tricky situation. I know WA state and a few others passed laws last year that require the non tax collecting (out of state company) to submit a yearly form to WA state showing the total expendeture for the customer. The company is then required to send a form to the customer showing the same amount (yearly non taxed expendeture totals). In WA state I have to then go online and plug in the total amount where it prints out a form to pay the 8.7% "use tax".

Fun stuff.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelums View Post
Ken's fish has a 15% discount and they don't charge tax ... since they have a lower advertised price then Petco the 15% still works out to more or less the same price as Petco... until you add the sales tax that Petco collects (Kensfish does not).

The workaround to the tax is 9% discounted online-only giftcards. For me all that does is negate the tax. If you live in a state that has no sales tax... then the savings is $12-13 via discounted gift cards.

The saving grace for Petco for me, since sales tax here is the nighest in the nation... pals points. In the end Petco gives me another $5.

And technically/legally, you're supposed to pay your state's sales tax on purchases from sites that don't collect the sales tax for you. The site isn't obligated to collect the tax if they have no presence in your state, but YOU still have the obligation to do so. There was a case involving the state of Connecticut(?) and Newegg and that in the end resulted in Newegg handing over data to the state so the state could send out tax invoices for the past 3 years + interest on sales tax that they didn't collect from buyers in the state.
The code is still active, but the light doesn't qualify anymore..
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which code? Spring20 @ petco?
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Which code? Spring20 @ petco?
Yeah it worked on the Fluval 3.0 light for a day, then the next day it said that it didn't qualify for it anymore. Only working on certain other things.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

Hello varanidguy! I just stumbled appon this thread while researching the finnex which I own for my 29 gallon. I am trying to figure out how much the par drops off on either side of the fixture. And also what the par rating would be in the white setting at different percentages (10-100) I think this info would be so helpful for someone like me trying to fine tune the light in a low light setup! It happens that your tank depth is exactly the same as mine (16.5")! Have you taken any of these measurements with your light? Would you be willing to share the results? You would be my hero! Lol, I've been searching for hours!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
Hello varanidguy! I just stumbled appon this thread while researching the finnex which I own for my 29 gallon. I am trying to figure out how much the par drops off on either side of the fixture. And also what the par rating would be in the white setting at different percentages (10-100) I think this info would be so helpful for someone like me trying to fine tune the light in a low light setup! It happens that your tank depth is exactly the same as mine (16.5")! Have you taken any of these measurements with your light? Would you be willing to share the results? You would be my hero! Lol, I've been searching for hours!
I can definitely take those measurements for you. Give me a day or two and I'll post here.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower

THANK YOU!!! I'm so excited to find out what it puts out at the different percentages (10%, 20% etc up to 100%) I've got it set at 60% currently, and it will be so awesome to know what each setting gives so that I can fine tune it! You are amazing for doing this! Thank you so much!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Flower View Post
THANK YOU!!! I'm so excited to find out what it puts out at the different percentages (10%, 20% etc up to 100%) I've got it set at 60% currently, and it will be so awesome to know what each setting gives so that I can fine tune it! You are amazing for doing this! Thank you so much!

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about you. Things just have been busy in these parts. I’m going to try to get the data to you as soon as I can.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks so much! I really appreciate you doing that. It's so kind of you to be willing to take the time! I'll keep checking back every so often 🙂 Do you know if there's a way to get notifications when people reply to posts? I don't know how to do that, so I just check my posts every few days, haha. I emailed admin to ask, but I haven't heard back...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode