4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/light-buying.html

Nice synopses...
swarley likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
I would recommend against the fluval 3.0 for both spread, color rendition, and par. all quite bad on the fluval 3.0. The Twinstar is just the best light for your buck imo. Yeah it doesnt have customization, dimming via 3rd-party tech, but it's just a great light out of the box. I have used all of those lights, fluval 3.0, twinstar S, chihiros RGB (not vivid), Titan1, a finnex 24/7 (original model), and T5HO. My recommendation is that T5HO is amazing especially at tanks from 4ft(120cm) and longer, because of Par, Color Rendition, and Spread at such a cheap price (my Agrobrite 48" was 60$ during blackfriday sales and 120-140 at Full price, haven't swapped bulbs out yet bc it looks quite nice without nicer bulbs like giesmann bulbs which I will swap to eventually). Twinstar is great for 3 feet(90cm) and shorter. The Twinstar I've heard struggle a bit with super wide tanks that tend to come with the longer tanks so thats why I don't usually recommend it for the larger tanks, and they can get pricey at that point too. And Titan1 is great if you want a Solar RGB for half the price of the ADA Solor RGB.
Where did you find proof the Titan was a clone of the ADA Solar RGB? I have heard that mentioned but the specs look totally different.

90W versus 130W
160LEDs versus 200 LEDs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The Titan 1 sucks. It's a red pigment destroyer. The spectrum chart UNS published is an absolute lie to the real product. My LFS has a setup with 2x UNS 90P's side by side with an squascape that flows between the two tanks. The tanks were setup with Twinstar 900SP's initially. Exact same plants on both tanks. The second they put in the Titan 1 all the reds started to lose color and now there is ZERO red in the tank vs the one next to it with the Twinstar still on it. The visual color is insanely blue on the Titan 1.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure the spectrum chart is a "lie"...SPECTRA (your fav.. ) estimate shows 10200K w/ a predominant "aqua" tone.
88CRI w/ a R9 (saturated red) score of 42 (out of 100)

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Not sure the spectrum chart is a "lie"...SPECTRA (your fav.. ) estimate shows 10200K w/ a predominant "aqua" tone.
88CRI w/ a R9 (saturated red) score of 42 (out of 100)
The spectrum chart is a carbon copy of the ADA Solar RGB. I know what a solar RGB can do and the UNS is not even close.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...vivid-rgb.html

Quote:
Titan 1 = ADA Solar RGB with a UNS sticker on it. Not really a replica. They went to the factory that produces the Solar RGB for ADA and bought the units with a UNS sticker.
wondering why you changed your mind??
Both are simple RGB arrays. Except for some minor nm shifts and possibly drive current adjustments. and watt efficiency not much to change..
There s some hearsay pointing to one being "Stronger" than the other overall.

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Both are simple RGB arrays. Except for some minor nm shifts and possibly drive current adjustments. and watt efficiency not much to change..
I am scratching my head on this as well.

Comparing Twinstar S versus ADA Solar RGB the Twinstar definitely has punchier reds I can see that from the internet photos. But the ADA RGB solar looks more natural to me. If thats what he doesn't like than that is a seperate issue.

However my bigger concern is the PAR values of the Titan 1 and RGB Solar. The Titan is supposedly 90w and that is a hell of a lot less than the ADA light (130W) if the specs are published correctly.

I can't find anyone who has tested the PAR on the X400, RGB Vivid or any of the chinese clones of the RGB Solar so it makes it difficult for me to want to be the guinea pig on those lights.

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Titan 1 = ADA Solar RGB with a UNS sticker on it. Not really a replica. They went to the factory that produces the Solar RGB for ADA and bought the units with a UNS sticker.
Both are simple RGB arrays. Except for some minor nm shifts and possibly drive current adjustments. and watt efficiency not much to change..<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a>
This guy is clueless. Sorry. I have multiple Titan 1s and a Solar RGB. It’s definitely not a clone, and I can confirm they aren’t built in the same factory. Color spectrum is nearly identical. The chassis may appear similar, but they are different. Titan is lighter and smaller in size and mass. Basically you can get two titans for the price of one Solar. I’ve had no issues with my titans, however my solar rgb failed leaving my color to be a bright yellow until the new ballast came in. Fortunately I leave my tanks in the window so the plants didn’t suffer.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang
I find that Solar RGB has higher red saturation compared to the Twinstar S, which is offset by the green spikes in the Solar RGB. Whereas Twinstar S has more reddish glow as a whole. However, Solar RGB has a narrow range of rendering - oranges and purples look much more reddish than under other fixtures. The Twinstar S doesn't have such an extreme effect despite the redder background glow.

Hows the build quality on the Titan 1 ?

The other Solar RGB copy on the market is Maxlite (from Hongkong). PAR seems similar to solar RGB... Not sure of the pricing overseas though.
(Maxlite pics below)

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
I find that Solar RGB has higher red saturation compared to the Twinstar S, which is offset by the green spikes in the Solar RGB. Whereas Twinstar S has more reddish glow as a whole. However, Solar RGB has a narrow range of rendering - oranges and purples look much more reddish than under other fixtures. The Twinstar S doesn't have such an extreme effect despite the redder background glow.

This is likely due to the solar RGB only using RGB leds and no white, whereas the Twinstar also includes white LEDs in the mix, relying less on pure-green LEDs for lighting up near-green plants, and moving to a pinkish tint which seems to be popular for your LED fixtures and T5HO setups.

Plugging the solar RGB into the TM-30-15 (color rendition) spreadsheet shows that the colors are more vibrant, much less accurate than sunlight, and most orange/red-tinted tones are hue-shifted red, just as you observed.

For reference, this spreadsheet shows graphs of the spectral output, the Rf-Rg plot which is a newer interpretation of CRI that scores both fidelity (accuracy) and gamut (saturation). The third plot compares measured hue and saturation (red ring) to the reference (gray dashed ring). The last shows the overall tint of the light compared to an "ideal blackbody" or "pure white" curve.

There are no published measurements for the Twinstar S, but going from the 6500k specification and pictures of the individual LEDs, plus your pink-hue comment, I'm guessing it's a more red/pink focused light using RGB+W leds. Looking at the Rf-Rg plot, we see that it scores much higher on the fidelity (accuracy) axis, while still having the same gamut (saturation) as the ADA. This might help explain why the Twinstars are more versatile and popular for a variety of aquascapes.

Cheers,
Spring
Xiaozhuang likes this.

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't actually see the maxlite life aqua master pro rgb for sale anywhere on the internet or I don't know how to search for it. Just see some results on social media at this point and their own website.

http://maxlite.hk/intro/wp-content/u...ver2018nov.pdf technical specs...
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

UNS Titan is a better "ADA "clone"...

Like I've said before, and my personal opinion.. RGB lights can look "punchy" but you don't know what you are missing..

If they used phosphor converted reds .(i.e like the "full spectrum" LED's) then maybe.

lights everywhere..
https://www.banggood.com/UP-PRO-LED-...r_warehouse=CN

post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

Quote:
Both are simple RGB arrays. Except for some minor nm shifts and possibly drive current adjustments. and watt efficiency not much to change..<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a>
I like how you think ADA solar RGB equals the same to UNS! Both are two different companies. Yes, you get what you pay for. While UNS is cheaper than the ADA RGB, there are huge differences when compared side by side, which I was able to see at a local aquascape store. Hands down I have to say the ADA RGB is much better quality than UNS! Although I am not techy on the light spectrum, ADA RGB gives off a nice light distribution and pleasant to my eyes, compared to the UNS. The ballast is another story: ADA is made of metal, while the UNS is plastic, which the ballast heats up to extreme heat! Price wise, UNS will be good for anyone’s budget!
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erirku View Post
I like how you think ADA solar RGB equals the same to UNS! Both are two different companies. Yes, you get what you pay for. While UNS is cheaper than the ADA RGB, there are huge differences when compared side by side, which I was able to see at a local aquascape store. Hands down I have to say the ADA RGB is much better quality than UNS! Although I am not techy on the light spectrum, ADA RGB gives off a nice light distribution and pleasant to my eyes, compared to the UNS. The ballast is another story: ADA is made of metal, while the UNS is plastic, which the ballast heats up to extreme heat! Price wise, UNS will be good for anyoneís budget!

Well I was referring more to spectrum than build quality.

both are gappy no matter how "pleasent" they look. That's just physics..
Neither is my cup of tea...
https://aquaforestaquarium.com/produ...ighting-system

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Its great that you where able to see the difference in person. Most LFS do not stock either light. I also keep reef tanks so even 800 dollars for a ADA RGB is not unheard off in the saltwater world.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode