T5 Community Par Contribution thread? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich Decatur
  • 2 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By gus6464
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 2,012
T5 Community Par Contribution thread?

Hey guys - it's a strugle to find data sometimes and I was thinkin, if anyone has a par meter and has tested their T5 bulbs we can post em up here and I'll ad them to the original post.

Maybe we can organize it in a nice spreadsheet at some point.

I don't have a par meter but in tryin go research my own bulbs (powerveg 633, Spectralux 3000k, Red Sea Reef-Spec 15000k blue white, Generic 6500k bulb) I found the following.

Spectraralux 3000K || Teklight Fixture || Apogee Par Meter || 2x48" @ 18" Depth = 90 PAR.

Spectraralux 6500K|| Teklight Fixture || Apogee Par Meter || 2x48" @ 18" Depth = 50 PAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Decatur View Post
Geissman super tropic 6500K || ATI Sunpower|| Seneye || 2x48" @ 18" Depth = 88 PAR.
Giesemann Super Flora 80w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x60" @ 12" Depth = 108 PAR

Giesemann Tropic 80w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x60" @ 12" Depth = 95 PAR

Zoo Med Ocean Sun 54w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x48" @ 12" Depth= 89 PAR

Plantmax 3000k 54w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x48" @ 12" Depth= 87 PAR

ATI Purple Plus 54w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x48" @ 12" Depth= 80 PAR

TrueLumen Flora 54w || Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x48" @ 12" Depth= 76 PAR

PowerVeg 660|| Individual Reflector || Seneye || 1x48" @ 12" Depth= 55 PAR


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chlorophile; 02-24-2019 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Add More
Chlorophile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower
 
Rich Decatur's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Brandenburg, Ky
Posts: 55
Geissman super tropic 6500K || ATI Sunpower|| Seneye || 2x48" @ 18" Depth = 88 PAR.
Chlorophile likes this.

75 gallon reef to planted tank conversion. Definite work in progress! TJ Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rich Decatur is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Decatur View Post
Geissman super tropic 6500K || ATI Sunpower|| Seneye || 2x48" @ 18" Depth = 88 PAR.
You tha Man!
Thank you!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chlorophile is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,388
Here are a few from my thread............

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10787369
Chlorophile and Immortal1 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Here are a few from my thread............

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10787369
I will add these to the first post!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chlorophile is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,362
Problem with PAR data like this is that unless they specifically state what reflector is used the number won't mean much. A person might see a bulb with a low number because the reflector is crap and think that it's the bulb or vice versa and see a bulb with insanely high par because it was measured on an ATI Powermodule and then put it on a fixture which is not that one and get a much lower number. Individual reflector doesn't tell you much because it could have been on a specular, parabolic, or flat type which will have very different output.
Quagulator likes this.
gus6464 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Problem with PAR data like this is that unless they specifically state what reflector is used the number won't mean much. A person might see a bulb with a low number because the reflector is crap and think that it's the bulb or vice versa and see a bulb with insanely high par because it was measured on an ATI Powermodule and then put it on a fixture which is not that one and get a much lower number. Individual reflector doesn't tell you much because it could have been on a specular, parabolic, or flat type which will have very different output.
Well this is why you need lots of data - the more datapoints and the more info we can get the better.
Side note: I may be a layman here but I thought most of us use a parabolic reflector? I sure don't know of anyone spending money on 30 dollar bulbs to put in a shop light style flat reflector housing


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chlorophile is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Well this is why you need lots of data - the more datapoints and the more info we can get the better.
Side note: I may be a layman here but I thought most of us use a parabolic reflector? I sure don't know of anyone spending money on 30 dollar bulbs to put in a shop light style flat reflector housing
There are basically 3 true parabolic fixtures on the market. Pacific Sun Diuna, Pacific Sun Althea, and ATI Powermodule. The ATI Sunpower is not a true parabolic but a specular in parabolic shape. Hydrofarm units are specular, and so is the Giesemann Matrixx II.

Specular vs parabolic has it's pros and cons.

Parabolic - most penetration but least horizontal dispersion
Specular - mid penetration but better horizontal dispersion than parabolic
Flat - least penetration but best horizontal dispersion
gus6464 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
There are basically 3 true parabolic fixtures on the market. Pacific Sun Diuna, Pacific Sun Althea, and ATI Powermodule. The ATI Sunpower is not a true parabolic but a specular in parabolic shape. Hydrofarm units are specular, and so is the Giesemann Matrixx II.

Specular vs parabolic has it's pros and cons.

Parabolic - most penetration but least horizontal dispersion
Specular - mid penetration but better horizontal dispersion than parabolic
Flat - least penetration but best horizontal dispersion
Well I have a generic hydroponic setup - its a good quality reflector that curves around the bulb - its not specular (specular reflectors have dimples and good scattering)
I guess you could call it flat? It's kind of like a curved U around the bulb?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chlorophile is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Well I have a generic hydroponic setup - its a good quality reflector that curves around the bulb - its not specular (specular reflectors have dimples and good scattering)
I guess you could call it flat? It's kind of like a curved U around the bulb?
Specular has nothing to do with dimples. It has to do with the angle it reflects the flight at it's first reflection point. A true parabolic fixture will reflect the light straight down and it's designed for a single reflection point. Specular has multiple reflection points with emphasis on both vertical and horizontal reflection. Flat is all horizontal reflection.
gus6464 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOW TO Calculate your tank lighting (in LSI) ucrdave Lighting 14 04-06-2016 06:41 PM
How much par should I have if I doubled up my Current freshwater+? Absolut Talent Lighting 9 12-15-2014 04:16 AM
Catalina 2 x 24 watt T5HO Retrofit - PAR meter results Dave-H Lighting 13 04-25-2011 03:14 PM
Anyone actually beat established thread algae without algae eaters? scolley Algae 87 01-19-2010 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome