• 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By KZB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED Tube Lights and Algae ??

Seeing as to much light can cause algae growth...can to little light also cause it. The tank in question is a 10 gallon...many plants...Co2 8 hrs a day. Old style MetaFrame tank, used to have 2 fluorescent tube type lights and I changed them over to 15Watt LED tube lights. Lights on for about 8 hours per day.

Water conditions are 7.2 PH.....0ppm Ammonia......0ppm Nitrite...... 10/20ppm Nitrate...... 12ppm GH......8ppm KH......1.0 - 2.0 ppm Phosphate.
One squirt of Thrive per week.
Two gallons of water changed every week. For this small tank I am using " Crystal Springs " Spring Water for each change .

Getting algae on some leaves and wondered why.
Much obliged for the guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Oh my goodness !!!! My timbers have been shivered !!! It seems that there are 50 plus other people who have no idea of how to answers those questions. Just think....if someone who had more knowledge than myself; or those other 50 plus people had even bothered an attempt to answer the questions, there would be 50 plus people, and myself who understood more about the workings and the ins and outs of successful aquarium keeping.
ReeferRob likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
First of all, have you ever heard of "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

You should look it up.

And what makes you think everyone should know how much light "15w LED tube lights" create. Heck, I don't even know what they are.

What does 1 squirt of thrive provide? Why 20% water change? What other maintenance do you perform? What kind of plants? How many plants? What is pH drop from CO2 injection?

Just saying if you want help, and expect folks to make the effort to help you, make the effort to look up some things yourself, and to provide as much information as possible.

And always post pictures of the tank. It provides more clues than anything else.

To your general question, yes, too little light can create unhappy plants which invites algae. However, most often it is too much light, dirty tank conditions, and poor CO2.
Ken Keating1, RCB, EMR and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Instead of flaubisquating all over the place, why didn't you ask those questions in the first place ? I prefer to get to the point, sorry to have ruffled your fins.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Seeing as too much light can cause algae growth...can to little light also cause it.

sure.. Light is only one part of the equation..

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping...n-the-aquarium
RCB likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:38 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Too much lights, without enough ferts and co2 will cause algae. Too little light with plants that require high light will cause algae. Algae loves struggling plants and any imbalance in a tank. I dont know how bad your algae issue is but you can lower your light period to 6 hours and see if that helps. Can you post a picture of your tank?
RCB likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Appreciate the informative reply's and suggestions. I ordered and received a number of books related to the hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode