Chihiros WRGB, Vivid, or Orphek LED Bar - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi. Im looking to replace my damaged chihiros rgb. What is your opinion on the wrgb so far? if any of you have been running them for some time.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
I am using the light with a wifi connected surge protector. I like to cut the outlet off when the lights are not running to save energy. I’ve set the auto schedule with the magic app. I seem to have an issue with the light coming on when set to the automatic sunrise/sunset setting when I’m not home. Wondering if you have experienced the same issue? I noticed yesterday when I got home I had to actually go into the controller for the auto setting to kick in. Isn’t the whole point of the auto setting is so that it comes on when your NOT HOME. It would be utterly pointless if I had to connect to the commander 4 with the app to run the light cycle every time.
Quote:
I’ve emailed them, posted on their fb wall and sent a fb dm. So far no response. I’ve contacted the dealer that sold me the light and controller on Ali express and they were slow to respond but got back to me. Trying to get a new controller shipped to me. It’s definitely an issue with the controller not the light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrebel View Post
Ah good to hear. Please keep us updated.

That is a design issue. A new Commander 4 will not solve the glitch. I have the same problem. I told Chihiros and they keep ignoring me. Posted in their facebook wall as well and PMed them. To no avail. They simple don't give a s**t.
The problem stems from the fact that you are powering off your outlet. Once the outlet is off, the commander 4 is off. When juice comes back on, Commander 4 does not seem to acknowledge that and the only way your light will turn on is by opening the app and selecting your light. Bummer yes.

If you have a blackout same thing will happens. I live in a country were blackouts (even very short ones) are not uncommon which makes the Commader 4 utterly useless since when electricity comes back the light will not turn on.

Last edited by Hanuman; 01-24-2019 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Added additional quotes
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnafisrusly View Post
Hi. Im looking to replace my damaged chihiros rgb. What is your opinion on the wrgb so far? if any of you have been running them for some time.

Been running mine for over a month now (WRGB 90). The light is ok but the Commander 4 is just a bad product in my opinion. The app is finicky and also it has some on/off problems as you can read in the above posts.
ipkiss likes this.

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Been running mine for over a month now (WRGB 90). The light is ok but the Commander 4 is just a bad product in my opinion. The app is finicky and also it has some on/off problems as you can read in the above posts.
Thanks for the reply, I just ordered wrgb120, 1 unit for trial first. That's bad news i opted the light for the ability to tweak. How do you deal with it? Is it possible in any way i tweak the colors and then just use digital timer with the light?

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I just ordered wrgb120, 1 unit for trial first. That's bad news i opted the light for the ability to tweak. How do you deal with it? Is it possible in any way i tweak the colors and then just use digital timer with the light?

You can only tweak the light and color output if you have the Commander (or a third party dimmer). Without it it's just and on/off light. If you use the Commander to adjust light intensity and color output and add a timer you will experience the same problem as I described in my previous post.

Last edited by Hanuman; 01-24-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
That is a design issue. A new Commander 4 will not solve the glitch. I have the same problem. I told Chihiros and they keep ignoring me. Posted in their facebook wall as well and PMed them. To no avail. They simple don't give a s**t.
The problem stems from the fact that you are powering off your outlet. Once the outlet is off, the commander 4 is off. When juice comes back on, Commander 4 does not seem to acknowledge that and the only way your light will turn on is by opening the app and selecting your light. Bummer yes.

If you have a blackout same thing will happens. I live in a country were blackouts (even very short ones) are not uncommon which makes the Commader 4 utterly useless since when electricity comes back the light will not turn on.

Wow. Itís a bigger problem than I thought I guess. How can they not listen to their customers? Anyway, I realized that it may have been a power issue so I think I figured out a work around. I am not shutting the outlet on and off and I am using an old iPhone with the magic app loaded on to it. It stays home and on all the time. And so far the light comes on and off no problem. But if I would have known about these issues I would have never purchased this light. I would have either went for a twinstar or saved up my money and got a light with a reliable controller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@Hanuman @frrok Thanks you guys for reporting in on the issues so that the rest of us can reconsider. @frrok it sounds like now you use the commander4 to turn off and on the light as well? Assuming you do not have a power loss, is it at least able to fully run its power on, "ramp up/down", and power off cycle --- even if not connected to the app?

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
@Hanuman @frrok Thanks you guys for reporting in on the issues so that the rest of us can reconsider. @frrok it sounds like now you use the commander4 to turn off and on the light as well? Assuming you do not have a power loss, is it at least able to fully run its power on, "ramp up/down", and power off cycle --- even if not connected to the app?

No. If itís not connected to the app the light will not turn on. Itís as if there is a glitch preventing the software in the commander4 to stay ďconfiguredĒ. I hope that makes sense. If I didnít leave my old iPhone home in range of the commander4 it wonít work.

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
oh, that is indeed krap. sorry

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

Lame. I just ordered my light with the comma der last night. Fingers crossed I can diy a better solution with an arduino
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

Disappointing. I guess until other alternative are found, that commander will sit in its box. I'll just use digital timer to on and off the light.

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

I've posted on their Facebook page, everyone else should do the same
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Quote:
No. If it’s not connected to the app the light will not turn on. It’s as if there is a glitch preventing the software in the commander4 to stay “configured”. I hope that makes sense. If I didn’t leave my old iPhone home in range of the commander4 it won’t work.
Quote:
Disappointing. I guess until other alternative are found, that commander will sit in its box. I'll just use digital timer to on and off the light.
In the case you have commander 4:
If no power loss happens or you do not intentionally install a timer switch (which technically powers off the outlet) then everything works "fine". I used quotes on the word fine because that's not exactly accurate. The commander also tends to delay the on/off time for whatever the reason. This has been reported by several people. See Chihiros facebook wall.

In the case you do not have a commander 4 and the light is plug straight to the power adapter:
Using a timer switch is not an issue and the light will turn on/off as set by the timer. The problem is not the light but the commander. Although not a huge deal, the downside is you lose the ability to control each color independently but most importantly the intensity of the light. So it will be 0%-100%-0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slushroom View Post
Lame. I just ordered my light with the comma der last night. Fingers crossed I can diy a better solution with an arduino
You have 3rd party dimmers on the market. The TC420 or the TC421 (wifi version) being the ones that some people have used but on lower end model of Chihiros lights. For the WRGB that dimer might need some modifications which I am still unsure if I will go through it. The downside is that I think you won't be able to control the colors but only the light intensity. I am unsure of this though. You can read my posts over here.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Algae Grower

Chihiros WRGB, Vivid, or Orphek LED Bar

Here is an update for all you guys. I was able to talk to Chihiros at length. Finally. Here is the outcome of the conversation:

1 - The Commander 4 not being able to recover after a power loss, either due to an actual power loss or because of an intentional one (such as with a timer switch or simply because you unplugged the cable), is due to the fact that all settings are stored in the Commander 4. Since the Commander 4 stores settings in a RAM chip, all data is wiped out once power is lost and thus requires the app (ios of android) to copy the settings back to the Commander 4. Simply put this cannot be fixed by a software update. The device needs to be redesigned and potentially incorporate a battery that would save data in the event of power loss. So another edition of the Commander 4 is required. Basically a new product. So anyone with hopes that a software update would fix this can put those hopes to rest!

2 - Commander 1&4 increase light by step and do not ramp up light intensity gradually. I was told that they would fix this by making the increase every 1 minute thus making the ramping smoother. Not sure this is the best approach but at least they heard people and are doing something about it.

That sums up the commander4gate.
ipkiss, mnafisrusly and rebelrebel like this.

Last edited by Hanuman; 01-28-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: clarifications
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Here is an update for all you guys. I was able to talk to them at length. Finally. Here is the outcome of the conversation:

1 - The Commander 4 not being able to recover after a power loss, either due to an actual power loss or because of an intentional one (such as with a timer switch or simply because you unplugged the cable), is due to the fact that all settings are stored in the Commander 4. Since the Commander 4 stores settings in a RAM chip, all data is wiped out once power is lost and thus requires the app (ios of android) to copy the settings back to the Commander 4. Simply put this cannot be fixed by a software update. The device needs to be redesigned and potentially incorporate a battery that would save data in the event of power loss. So another edition of the Commander 4 is required. Basically a new product. So anyone with hopes that a software update would fix this can put those hopes to rest!

2 - Commander 1&4 increase light by step and do not ramp up light intensity gradually. I was told that they would fix this by making the increase every 1 minute thus making the ramping smoother. Not sure this is the best approach but at least they heard people and are doing something about it.

That sums up the commander4gate.
thanks for the clarification. my wrgb will arrive next week, least now i know wht to expect and do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode