Meanwell PWM-120 series - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Yes only one power supply is needed..
BUT each strip needs about 20V (typ. V(f) 19.5) so 2 in series requires 20x 2 = 40V
The drivers regulate the voltage to "set" the current..sounds complicated but its pretty easy..

you just need a power supply w/ enough voltage to satisfy the V(f) of the LED board.
Driver will decrease voltage to set the mA.. (it can't increase the voltage over the power supply.
LDD driver design dictates how much is err.. lost in translation.. 4V is a safe bet but it is actually a bit variable..
So, again 48V power supply only provides a 44 V potential on the other side of the driver.. 2 boards require 40 v so you are good to go..

a single board only requires 20V
In both cases the driver will regulate the voltage..

I use 3W diodes as well as bigger COB's..
The Bridgelux are really a nice "special" type of strip light..Not any different than stringing a bunch of 3W emitters, only individually smaller..

My 40B old frame.. After about 3 other iterations of experiments..

It was designed to illuminate the tank from top/bottom and front to back..
Crude but effective..diodes are currently a bit different as to ''colors" and it's due for one more small rebuild..

your tank has the same width approx.

nice and clean ...very nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

let me ask you a question and with this ill let you go ( for today ) . like setup i like things clean . is there a connector or something that i can use to have one wired connection coming out of the power supply with 3 cables ( like a peace sign ) and then connect the 3 ldds seperately ?

know what im saying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You only need 2 wires going to a bus bar that feeds the LDD's..
You create the largest rats nest w/ LDD's to strips.. so if you mount the LDD's near the strips (and say in a canopy and note LDD's are really tiny, like fat match boxes..)
most external wiring is eliminated..

Second rats nest is the PWM wires but that you can use like Cat6 so lots of thin wires in a nice neat package..

The 40B has one "wire" going to the light head.(16ga 8 conductor thermostat wire, 2 for each of 4 channels)..and the channels are all hooked to barrel jack pairs..
https://www.amazon.com/WildHD-2-1x5-...63449331&psc=1

Clean wiring, is an art I'm not really good at..
an example of prob an average build (2 steps above what I usually do.. w/ large chips.
2 cords to the light.. 1 power, one PWM wires from a controller. Hs a few bells and whistles in it. Temp IC and voltage regulator for fans.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2405385
Fancy tutorial..and the really expensive way to build one..
https://www.instructables.com/id/A-C...ED-Light-Unit/

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-25-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: edit

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks a ton jeffkrol

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Yes only one power supply is needed..
BUT each strip needs about 20V (typ. V(f) 19.5) so 2 in series requires 20x 2 = 40V
The drivers regulate the voltage to "set" the current..sounds complicated but its pretty easy..

you just need a power supply w/ enough voltage to satisfy the V(f) of the LED board.
Driver will decrease voltage to set the mA.. (it can't increase the voltage over the power supply.
LDD driver design dictates how much is err.. lost in translation.. 4V is a safe bet but it is actually a bit variable..
So, again 48V power supply only provides a 44 V potential on the other side of the driver.. 2 boards require 40 v so you are good to go..

a single board only requires 20V
In both cases the driver will regulate the voltage..

I use 3W diodes as well as bigger COB's..
The Bridgelux are really a nice "special" type of strip light..Not any different than stringing a bunch of 3W emitters, only individually smaller..

My 40B old frame.. After about 3 other iterations of experiments..

It was designed to illuminate the tank from top/bottom and front to back..
Crude but effective..diodes are currently a bit different as to ''colors" and it's due for one more small rebuild..

your tank has the same width approx.

Hmmm. besides crude drivers run low power and possib. questionable diodes, the DSunY's had fair power..and lensing
The Bridgelux diodes are prob. at least 2 if not 4x more efficient.

How about something like this?

Very early DSunY custom design vids:
https://youtu.be/lkq9rr8NQtc
https://youtu.be/kHX1hosIgzE

been busy ..... yea thats what im aiming for . i have the dsuny but lacking a bit. i have three of the 24inch models and they are great but dunno seems like i need another row of 24s. i have some dim spots. so instead of that im going with the diy. was gonna replace all the leds but ,,,

is there a dimmer you can suggest until i get the stormx controller ?

thanks again....that tank is beastly btw

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not my tank. just the layout ...
As to dimming, hacking a couple $ PWM dimmer works well..

Questions on dimming LDD drivers - Reef Central Online Community

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks

yea i see theres cyan , red , and blue in there . maybe ill put some 1watt leds in between each bx strip ?

Last edited by 20cc; 08-28-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: adding some info
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20cc View Post
thanks

yea i see theres cyan , red , and blue in there . maybe ill put some 1watt leds in between each bx strip ?

Actually the cyan were left out due to a delivery problem.. but rest was in tact..

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is probably a bit late but in this pic it looks like the psu is hooked up to vout and the leds are hooked up to vin ;/
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Happily, not my drawing..
but thanks for noticing..

I can't draw straight angle lines..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode