Help with lighting a 40b - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Help with lighting a 40b

I have a very old light on my 40b, SolarmaxHE, actually the tank needs to be redone. I haven't had much time in the last year to really do the water changes I used to etc.
I would like a new light, I only have different species of Anubias and some java moss in there now and they seem fine, I have algae in the tank too so I really need to get back to caring properly for the tank.
What lighting would you suggest, for low light plants. I don't use CO2, nothing fancy here. However I would like to add some other low light plants too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could stick with T5 if you want.

There are some good LED options these days as well, depending on how much fiddling you want to do. My own personal gut these days is to buy more light than you need, then dim it. Gives you flexibility down the road. It also depends on how fancy you want to get.

The Fluval 3.0 is a good light. It can be scheduled/dimmed without buying more stuff, but I find it works best lifted away form the tank instead of sitting on the rim. Having the waterproofing is a nice bonus as well, and the color rendition is pretty good. It is one of the fancier lights.

The Finnex Planted+ is another I tried many months ago. Also one I like.

Plenty others, it all depends on what you want. My experience is somewhat limited though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So sorry, just got back to this. I was looking at both of those and the Stingray, which might be too low but is cheap. Thank you!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Solarmax HE, One or 2 tubes..?
21W or 42...

anyways 40B is relatively wide an a bit tricky to light efficiently across the board..

Quote:
The Fluval 3.0 is a good light. It can be scheduled/dimmed without buying more stuff, but I find it works best lifted away form the tank instead of sitting on the rim.
Increases f/back spread..

One stingray will easily match and possib. exceed the output of your one tube currenty..w/ a likely narrower spread f/back..

cheap option but really would need a dimmer..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF0878...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The added rows will increase the width mitigating the f/b "problem" somewhat..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Solarmax HE, One or 2 tubes..?
21W or 42..

It has 2 tubes but only one is working now. Replaced it but still not working.

Now I'm thinking just go Fluval 3.0, 3 year guarantee and I can lower the light intensity, waterproof. To me it seems easier to use then the 24/7.

Also saw an Aquatic Life Edge LED, have your heard of that one? Seems very easy to use.

Never thought it would be such a big deal to buy a light,lol.
I will be adding some low light stems and java fern and some fiss font. and possible a little moss of some kind.

Well this came out of nowhere I decided to go with the FugeRay planted +. I don't really mind not having the lights go on and off themselves. It's simple and seems to grow low to moderate plants well. I watched 3 reviews from Slim Tim, that was my deciding factor. Can't wait to get it now and see how this will work.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-28-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

I love my Fluval 3.0 it is so customizable , and it takes care of itself. The light is growing dwarf hairgrass great with CO2 and the tank is dirted. I also have a quad t5 on my 40 b and its overkill, but I can adjust it with a built in timer. I think the t5 works well too, and can be a lot cheaper. However not nearly customizable as the Fluval 3.0. Thats my been my luck as of late.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingpin View Post
I love my Fluval 3.0 it is so customizable , and it takes care of itself. The light is growing dwarf hairgrass great with CO2 and the tank is dirted. I also have a quad t5 on my 40 b and its overkill, but I can adjust it with a built in timer. I think the t5 works well too, and can be a lot cheaper. However not nearly customizable as the Fluval 3.0. Thats my been my luck as of late.
So I wound up getting the Finnex FugeRay Planted +, thinking I didn't need all the controls etc. It's just for low to moderate light plants and no Co2.
I got it yesterday and plugged it in and let it run for a bit and figured out the switches at each end and then I felt it and it feels hot. My first time with LED lighting, does that happen? Actually I was looking at the Fluval 3.0, I'm thinking I might have made a booboo.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
So I wound up getting the Finnex FugeRay Planted +, thinking I didn't need all the controls etc. It's just for low to moderate light plants and no Co2.
I got it yesterday and plugged it in and let it run for a bit and figured out the switches at each end and then I felt it and it feels hot. My first time with LED lighting, does that happen? Actually I was looking at the Fluval 3.0, I'm thinking I might have made a booboo.
If it's just warm-hot and not like scalding it's probably fine. Passively cooled leds without a crazy heatsink get warm-hot, the waste heat is mostly radiated up into the heatsink. A 3.0 also gets warm...

What kind of lighting were you using that doesn't get hot?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
If it's just warm-hot and not like scalding it's probably fine. Passively cooled leds without a crazy heatsink get warm-hot, the waste heat is mostly radiated up into the heatsink. A 3.0 also gets warm...

I was using a SolarMax HE, one of the bulbs no longer went on. It really didn't feel this warm to me. I was just wondering if the LED's were different.
This is definitely hotter then the old solarMax. I've had this light a long time. I guess I forgot they warm up. I had a Coralite 4 bulb over a 75 I had with a fan built in.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post

I was using a SolarMax HE, one of the bulbs no longer went on. It really didn't feel this warm to me. I was just wondering if the LED's were different.
This is definitely hotter then the old solarMax. I've had this light a long time. I guess I forgot they warm up. I had a Coralite 4 bulb over a 75 I had with a fan built in.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well a single t5 (not ho) bulb isn't that hot and the heat is radiated differently like all directions out of the bulb instead of up through the contact point with the fixture, so with leds the heatsink gets hot (and the diodes if you actually touch them) but with t5 it's more like the bulbs get real hot before the fixture does.

It's normal for passively cooled leds to get relatively hot to the touch, but again it's probably okay if it's not basically burning you to touch it. A fluval 3.0 at max will also get quite warm.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is old but gives some perspective:
https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...mal-management

63C is 145F.. pretty scotching..
Now that is AT the diode so not the heat sink..

LED's t5's ect al produce heat because the conversion from electrons to photons is not 100% efficient.
(yet, and actually can be but that's err experimental and can actually exceed 100% "boom")...
https://phys.org/news/2012-03-efficiency.html

If you shrunk a tube down to the size of a quarter (50W COB) they'd be hot too..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

Yes my fluval 3.0 probably around 85% is pretty hot to the touch, but it still works great. My parents have a finnex planted + for probably 3 years now? It can grow low tech plants with no CO2 and no ferts, other than 12" pleco poop, and very cheap, but well established substrate. That is on a 75 gallon, but every tank is different.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode