New Tank light AI prime FW? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank light AI prime FW?

Hi all I am redoing my 20g High and i'm considering a new light in the past i was using the Finnex 24/7 Planted plus (original version) and wasn't having any luck mostly due to its light cycle being far too long but now I'v completely restarted the tank and I want a better light, so I've been considering the AI Prime FW but i'm having a hard time finding any reviews on it. Has anyone had any experience with this light? I'm planning on growing AR in this tank and i want to achieve a nice red in them but I'm uncertain as to whether this light will be capable of doing so. I have looked at the XR15 FW but the Price point is too much for me Especially considering the Mount for it alone is around $90! which just seems ridiculous after paying $350+ for the light its self.
So far there is nothing in this tank other than a piece of wood and substrate (Aquasoil Capped with sand) I plan on dosing this NiloCG PPS pro and Running C02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Algae Grower

I have 2 on my 90. I'm really happy with them.

I bought the brackets as well. Total Canadian cost was $675

The app took a bit of getting used too, but it's easy now. Make sure you have lots of plants before you crank these up to full blast!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
May I ask what your settings are ? I think the light has too much yellow on the 6500-7000 setting of which I hear the slider is way out of wack. I have been looking for someone that has had some experience with it as far as color settings. I have called AI and they cant recommend anything, go figure.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaindemo View Post
May I ask what your settings are ? I think the light has too much yellow on the 6500-7000 setting of which I hear the slider is way out of wack. I have been looking for someone that has had some experience with it as far as color settings. I have called AI and they cant recommend anything, go figure.
So since I bought them, I set every color to%40. It was spring here, and Sun light was getting high.

Then nature decided to give me BGA. Since then, I've been running what's in the pic, with my blinds closed.

I did a bit of reading, and someone said BGA grows with yellow, or between 5500-6500. So I decided to turn yellow right off. I can't comment if this is keeping the algae at bay. If been running it like this for about 2 weeks. I was also dosing heavily with excel fluorish.

My tank is about%20 populated with plants, and about 10 neon tetras

Sorry make that green, my green is off..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-14-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks ! I'll give that a try and play with it a bit. Its too bad that AI makes a light they dont have support for other than working issues
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
going off of what capaindemo stated, the light does produce more of a yellow tint then a bright white. I had both the salt version and now the fresh. I like how the fresh is, how it sets up/control ability and every thing like that. Just the yellow tint i still have mix feelings about it. Turning the warm off and just having cool white its not powerful enough/enough LED diodes to grow some of the things I want to grow.

Going off for the XR15, I like the light/like the combo of lights for the puck but it sucks besides buying the light and mount if you want to control the light through wifi you got to buy the reef link which is another $100. so end up paying almost $600 for a light set up and I though I was getting away from the over price reefing..but ya I couldn't afford such a light HA
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

Yeah, if you are aiming for 6500-7000K color temp, then the Prime is simply not going to work. You can get close, but you give up a lot of power to do it. So if you are going for a “bright white”, I would pass on this light, IMO.

If you want something a bit warmer than LEDs tend to be, then it is actually a pretty good light, as few LED setups let you get this warm. It’s one of the reasons I like this light, as it would be good for setups where you want to mimic the look of being in a river or a lake, IMO. Tanks where shimmer and shadow play a role in the look. In that realm you also have the Kessil as an option for a bit more, with stronger shimmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Probably the low CRI "cool white" diodes that are the main problem..
Listing ">70" isn't very encouraging..

BUT that said, few tunable, programmable, relatively powerful, lights to choose from.
On an unrelated not APEX isn't even bothering doing a "proper" interface for the Radion XR15 fw...

We get little respect..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

BUT that said, few tunable, programmable, relatively powerful, lights to choose from.
On an unrelated not APEX isn't even bothering doing a "proper" interface for the Radion XR15 fw...

We get little respect..
I love my APEX 2016 and the Fusion Forum is awesome, but yeah they really are focused on the Saltwater gang.

MrT
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

We get little respect..

i've got my cool whites turned way down and seems to cut down on the yellowing for me at least

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
i've got my cool whites turned way down and seems to cut down on the yellowing for me at least

Turning down the "cool" whites is reducing yellow?!

That doesn't sound right... must be something funky going on.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyetra8 View Post
Turning down the "cool" whites is reducing yellow?!

That doesn't sound right... must be something funky going on.

Actually that may just work.
The cool whites are blue w/ yellow phosphors.
warm whites are blue w/ yellow and red phosphors..

Dimming the cool whites will increase red, cutting the yellow..
also highlighting the RGB as well..

Slightly decreasing cool whites (say 20%) and ww (say 75%) should also kill any yellow but at the loss of way too much output..

Like I said, the low CRI of the cool whites is the issue..or it needs one more red diode..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took the dive and got the light So far I have to say I'm pleased but time will tell, its been on my tank for a grand total of a day with plants so nothing to comment on so far but I'm really enjoying the look it gives and the ability to control pretty much everything. If anyone has Recommendations on settings please feel free to share them! and thank you everyone for your thoughts on the matter!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode