90g - 2 AI prime fresh or 3? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
90g - 2 AI prime fresh or 3?

Hi all,

I'm new to the game, and I would like to have some grass and other plants in this tank. My tank size is 90 and it has a sump.

I have 3 bleeding hearts, and 4 gouramis.

I have Amazon swords, bacopa, Ludwig,weisteria, java moss, and some red plant.

I would like to put my smaller tetras and Amano, and Cherry shrimp in this tank. (Had them in their before, and they keep getting sucked in sump.)

Can you please recommend some lights for me?

should I buy 2 AI primes fresh or 3?

Should I buy 1 hydra 52 instead?

Im very impatient, so if I spend more money on equipment that will grow fast, I'm ok with it.

I have a reasonable fund, less than 1k canadian. I currently don't have a co2 kit. Open for cheap suggestions with that too.

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just looking at the pic above, it looks like a rimless tank. If so, that gives you a few more options as you dont have thick plastic braces in inconvenient places. Not knowing the exact tank dimensions, I would assume it is around 4' long. this would mean it is more than 18" front to back and maybe a little taller than 21" (I have a 75g tank). With that said, I would lean toward 3 of the AI Prime lights.
I have 2 Radion XR15FW lights on my 75g tank and there is a bit of a dark spot at the top middle of the tank. With 3 lights, it would look more evenly lit in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Just looking at the pic above, it looks like a rimless tank. If so, that gives you a few more options as you dont have thick plastic braces in inconvenient places. Not knowing the exact tank dimensions, I would assume it is around 4' long. this would mean it is more than 18" front to back and maybe a little taller than 21" (I have a 75g tank). With that said, I would lean toward 3 of the AI Prime lights.
I have 2 Radion XR15FW lights on my 75g tank and there is a bit of a dark spot at the top middle of the tank. With 3 lights, it would look more evenly lit in my opinion.
Your right, rimless starfire glass. 48x20x20 if I remember correctly..

Just a question about AI, are they like BMW of lights?

I'm also looking at longevity and ease of use..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Captain

LOL, close to BMW. I'm told when it comes to a puck style of light, the Radion XR15 lights are about the best available with the AI Prime being a close 2nd. Many will argue that the Kessil lights are better - hard for me to say. What I can say is the software that runs the Radion lights is pretty darn good with minimal issues. The software that comes with the Prime lights, as I have read, is a litter more difficult to setup and adjust. Not to say it is bad, maybe just different. A personal advantage to the Prime lights is no cooling fan. So, nothing extra to wear out. For me, I am running the Radion lights at around 40-50% power so the fans don't run very often. Heat seems to be the real killer of LED lighting so, which is better? Having a fun run when needed or not having the need for a fan?

I believe there are a few reviews on this site of the AI Prime lights and their associated software. Might read thru those before you make a final decision.

For my 0.02, I would go with the Radion Lights on your rimless 48" tank But then again, I am spending your money....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinghighlander View Post

Can you please recommend some lights for me?

should I buy 2 AI primes fresh or 3?

Should I buy 1 hydra 52 instead?

LED lighting tend to direct itself more or less straight down. A single Hydra 52 would give you a very bright spot directly under it and the rest of the tank would be really dim. Getting two of them would be a massive overkill unless your planning for a SW reef tank.

Two AI primes would give you fairly good coverage but still might seem a bit dim or uneven. Three would be nicer. If you go this route, get two, and see how they work out for you. You can always add a third one later.

As for the other brands like Kessil and Radion, they are also excellent lighting options. Lighting is a very personal and subject thing. As long as you avoid some of the absolute junk, most LED lighting will work for you.

I know you want fast plant growth, but don't over do things here. It's real easy to run into algae issues if youe not careful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think one benefit to the prime lights over the radion is that they come with wifi capabilities out of the box. the radion lights can be programmed directly via usb, but need an additional adapter to be programmable via wifi. That adds a bit to the start up price.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

Another option might be an sbreef freshwater. I have an aiprime, the app was quite glitchy during setup actually bricked my Android phone somehow. Switched to running it on an iPad and had better luck. Once you get the hang of it, it's ok. I do like the light

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Meant to add the prime light does have a small fan, I don't notice it at all. But I have a loud house with little ones wreaking havoc so opinions on noise level may vary

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-27-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_rob View Post
Another option might be an sbreef freshwater. I have an aiprime, the app was quite glitchy during setup actually bricked my Android phone somehow. Switched to running it on an iPad and had better luck. Once you get the hang of it, it's ok. I do like the light

Any experience with the SB reef? I think they are a bit fugly. The ultra looks excellent, but it is only for reef tanks.

I might still order one, but I'm across the boarder.

Maybe a 32 fresh with timer?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:42 AM
Planted Member

I had a 16" SBReef light on my 17g and at 24" wide was a bit dim on the ends of the tank. It is powerful, grows plants very very well and is dimmable. It does not offer a ramp up turn on. If you set it at 40% it turns on instantly at 40%. Great light for the money but it has a couple drawbacks vs the AI Prime. Which I currently have 2 of on my new UNS 90U 36x22x22. I love these lights even more. Dimmable, rampable, 5 channels of control, well built, and powerful. In your case I'd recommend 3 of them on very low settings until you get CO2 setup. Then they will really shine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode