Planning a new build for my 25g - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinns View Post

Thoses board are not easily/cheaply available for me, so i'm going with the LDD-700HW
What is your input about SpringHalo's advice for going with 2x3500K + 2x5700K ?
Standard setup.. but like I mentioned above, I'd prefer to "spend" your excess w/ a 5th board/driver for that.
and go as low K as you can..
Going like 0-20%.........20%-0 at the beginning and end as you ramp in the 5600k later.
ramping up 5600k is not "sunrise" color.. just dimmer white..
adding red to high k whites makes pink not golden orange.

A string of 2500K 3w cheap Epistars (10/$1 or whatever ridiculous price they go for) works well too..
They are for mood or effect, not growing, though the added RED does help..
2:1 or 3:1 Ratio of cool white to warm white is sort of the go to combo for look, color and red.
totally opinion though.

w/ 2 3500k and 2 5700k sort of guessing you won't prefer the "look" w/ both at 100%.
Could be wrong

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for your advices

That sounds like a good idea indeed but i am afraid i am going to "really like the 5700k look" as you said so 2 hotter strips sounds a bit much in that optic. 1 will be enough, but that means 4 LDD... decisions decisions ! Well done for having me doubting again
Too bad there isn't a colder version of thoses strips, that would have been gold !
You would use a 48V power supply and use two LDDs, one LDD driving two 5700k strips in series, the other LDD driving 2 3000k strips in series.

If you're worried about not enough light with "only" two strips, you can make a quick comparison to the popular beamswork fspec fixtures. To get an idea of PAR levels, the beamswork 48" strip is rated at 5200 lumen and has a PAR of 44 at 20" depth (I'm assuming your 25g is 24x12x20). That would mean you get 44 PAR for a 24" long beamswork that's putting out 2600 lumen. Your strips are rated for 2500 lumens for each strip, so you would get double that: 88 PAR running just two of the strips. To put that into perspective, 50+ PAR is considered "high light" so you'll be more than adequate no matter what combination you run.

When making LED lights you can get into a "more power and more light is better" spiral, but for this rig you're probably going to run into algae issues if you run "just" 2 strips at more than 50% brightness.

The reason I like the 5700k and 3000k options are that my house is filled with 2700k incandescents, and when I'm around the house in the evenings, I don't want a super blue-looking tank; everything looks more natural at the lower temperature, and I still have the ability to "match the sun" during the day. A good note of comparison: 120W of lights run at 100% over a 75G is blinding. I have them comfortably running at just 15%, or 18 watts, on a tank 3x bigger than yours!

Last edited by SpringHalo; 04-10-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Opinions
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is that...

Then again just use 2 strips in series and add a cheap row of 3W low K emitters..
saves $'s..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You should also still be considering 2x EB 5700K strips connected to a meanwell apc and call it a day. On and off is all you need.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
You should also still be considering 2x EB 5700K strips connected to a meanwell apc and call it a day. On and off is all you need.
Personal opinion whats the point of solid state lighting if one doesn't use what it is best at????
Just stick w/ tubes.

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Personal opinion whats the point of solid state lighting if one doesn't use what it is best at????
Just stick w/ tubes.
Last I checked solid state lighting was designed to use less power than traditional tubes while putting out same amount of light. I didn't realize that all the commercial installations of LED in the world have ramping and dimming when they come on.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Last I checked solid state lighting was designed to use less power than traditional tubes while putting out same amount of light. I didn't realize that all the commercial installations of LED in the world have ramping and dimming when they come on.
so add for our use...
Can't argue personal opinion. Built my fist light BECAUSE you can easily "control" them..and at a reasonable cost..

15 Advantages of LEDs When Compared To Traditional Lighting Solutions

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
so add for our use...
Can't argue personal opinion. Built my fist light BECAUSE you can easily "control" them..and at a reasonable cost..

15 Advantages of LEDs When Compared To Traditional Lighting Solutions
I don't get the point of the random links. Everyone knows that LEDs can dimmed and ramped easier than standard tubes and no one is arguing that. The point is that the main reason they exist is because they put out as much as light as traditional sources while using much less electricity. That statement is a fact and not personal opinion. You stating that if they are not used for ramping and dimming it's a waste is actual opinion and that's it.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You stating that if they are not used for ramping and dimming it's a waste is actual opinion and that's it.
Yes though that was self explanatory..
some links are just for fun.. Remember fun?

WHY would "jeff" use LED's over any other light source..in rough order.
http://www.stouchlighting.com/blog/t...f-led-lighting

Add one more thing so we can end this.. you can have the last word.. HEAVENS I have it..

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am totally with you with the fact that i will probably be good with 2 strips and an APC-35, simple and cheap (35$).
But i know i will make it evolve/experiment (add dimming, sun effects etc...) so why not make it capable from the beginning

Tank is 25gal (16tall, 12deep, 32wide)
I understand that 4 strips at full power would be too much.
So i think i found an ideal option for me :
2x EB 5700k
1x EB 3500K (or 3000k, still debating)
3x LDD-700-HW
1x LRS-75-24

That cost 70$ (versus 90$ for 4 strips with 2 LDD), would ouptut 7000+LM if needed, could be dimmed and color temp could be adjusted from 3500k to 5700K.

Again, thanks a lot for your advices it's been really helpfull
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I am totally with you with the fact that i will probably be good with 2 strips and an APC-35, simple and cheap (35$).
But i know i will make it evolve/experiment (add dimming, sun effects etc...) so why not make it capable from the beginning

Tank is 25gal (16tall, 12deep, 32wide)
I understand that 4 strips at full power would be too much.
So i think i found an ideal option for me :
2x EB 5700k
1x EB 3500K (or 3000k, still debating)
3x LDD-700-HW
1x LRS-75-24

That cost 70$ (versus 90$ for 4 strips with 2 LDD), would ouptut 7000+LM if needed, could be dimmed and color temp could be adjusted from 3500k to 5700K.

Again, thanks a lot for your advices it's been really helpfull
Looks good. Remember that 100% 3000k mixed with 10% 5700k will give you 110% 3500k. Keep us updated on progress!

To bring up the controller issue again, the reason to get a TC-420 or similar is to get accurate dimming throughout the day on a schedule. A regular arduino using its internal timer will have timing inaccuracies after a few days, while the others have an RTC clock to keep accurate time. A way to get around this is to use a regular wall timer and have the arduino powered with the timed outlet, so it resets every day and continues as usual.

Are you prepared to drill and tap (or drill through and use nylon washers and nuts) your heat sink? Or were you planning to use thermal epoxy for connecting the strips?
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringHalo View Post
Looks good. Keep us updated on progress!

To bring up the controller issue again, the reason to get a TC-420 or similar is to get accurate dimming throughout the day on a schedule. A regular arduino using its internal timer will have timing inaccuracies after a few days, while the others have an RTC clock to keep accurate time. A way to get around this is to use a regular wall timer and have the arduino powered with the timed outlet, so it resets every day and continues as usual.

Are you prepared to drill and tap (or drill through and use nylon washers and nuts) your heat sink? Or were you planning to use thermal epoxy for connecting the strips?
Sure i will try to keep you guys updated in a new thread
About the controller issue, i plan to try with what i have : an arduino uno + a "tiny rtc" module wich should be accurate enough, but good tip about the wall timer
About the heatsink, i think i will drill through because the thickness would'nt allow me to tap it (it's about 1/16 inch)
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys, some updates : I had time today to build my new light, i just finished a "beta" version tonight
It's working, and it's pretty amazing.... man are those strips powerfull ! I had pretty much the same amount of power before with cheap smds, but this is a night and day difference

I went with 1x3000k and 2x5700K. No dimming for now, but it's on the to-do list this weekend as the 3 combined is (obviously?) too much
I will upload some pictures then, it should be funny to see the before/after !
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey guys, some updates : I had time today to build my new light, i just finished a "beta" version tonight
It's working, and it's pretty amazing.... man are those strips powerfull ! I had pretty much the same amount of power before with cheap smds, but this is a night and day difference

I went with 1x3000k and 2x5700K. No dimming for now, but it's on the to-do list this weekend as the 3 combined is (obviously?) too much
I will upload some pictures then, it should be funny to see the before/after !
You using the 56cm strips? How much current are you pushing to each strip?
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You using the 56cm strips? How much current are you pushing to each strip?
if they stuck w/ the plan.. 700mA...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode