Fluval plant spectrum led NEW MODEL - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdunn1221 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this place? Price is almost too good, plus coupon code and free shipping. I have seen some negative reviews about customer service etc. I was about to purchase the 2.0, but now see this at the same price point.

Thanks
I've bought kind of alot of stuff from them, no lights, but I've bought a lot of repashy and other fish foods and marina hang on tank plastic stuff / driftwood in the same orders. Even with the free shipping they shipped the driftwood separately so it didn't break anything. Alita air pumps shipped straight from alita and I never got the tracking #, but all of my orders from them have not needed customer service so no comment there.

Edit: Actually you convinced me to get one for $159, as I have another essentially unlit 75g... so it's not true that I've never bought a light from them now. I expect it will be fine.

Last edited by Wobblebonk; 02-16-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: things done changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I've bought a lot of stuff from Ken's, food, filters, lights, driftwood, and always smooth transactions.

RAOK Club #55
post #33 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
I've bought a lot of stuff from Ken's, food, filters, lights, driftwood, and always smooth transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
I've bought kind of alot of stuff from them, no lights, but I've bought a lot of repashy and other fish foods and marina hang on tank plastic stuff / driftwood in the same orders. Even with the free shipping they shipped the driftwood separately so it didn't break anything. Alita air pumps shipped straight from alita and I never got the tracking #, but all of my orders from them have not needed customer service so no comment there.

Edit: Actually you convinced me to get one for $159, as I have another essentially unlit 75g... so it's not true that I've never bought a light from them now. I expect it will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @cdunn1221,

Welcome to TPT!

That is a good question; I have purchased items from Ken's Fish for several years now mostly for food and test kits. Last fall I bought the 48" F&P 2.0 from them. It shipped within 2 working days however I chose the 'Free Shipping' which is Ground and east coast to Seattle was about 5 days. It came in well packaged. It as a trouble-free transaction.
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go and order it tonight! Very excited.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @cdunn1221,

Welcome to TPT!

That is a good question; I have purchased items from Ken's Fish for several years now mostly for food and test kits. Last fall I bought the 48" F&P 2.0 from them. It shipped within 2 working days however I chose the 'Free Shipping' which is Ground and east coast to Seattle was about 5 days. It came in well packaged. It as a trouble-free transaction.
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go and order it tonight! Very excited.

post #34 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
This is a nice light...I tested the new spectrum at AE and look forward to testing the final version soon. A few points regarding the review from Aquarium Coop though:

The PAR values Fluval released for the 48" 2.0 model at that depth are 45-50 umol/m2/s, and this new spectrum should be similar. Why are the values so different in the linked review? First, that sensor he's using is terrible, it's not much better than using a lux meter app on your phone, so the measurements are way off. Second, the new spectrum is a bit warmer due to a greater amount of red, and that sensor completely cuts off spectral measurements at the far ends of the visible light range, so the values reported for both the 2.0 and 3.0 are incorrect with the 3.0 likely being more erroneously "measured" than the 2.0. Both versions should be similar output, perhaps even a bit higher for the 3.0. But we'll need to wait for Fluval or someone with a decent quantum meter to post PAR measurements.

In the meantime, I look forward to your feedback! I think the features and app control make this a very hard price to beat for most planted tank setups.

Cheers,

Cara
Patriot and Patriot like this.
post #35 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi @Dr_Hoatzin,

I don't know if @CoryWM has the latest sensor and software updates to his Apogee PAR meter but with the SQ-520 sensor and latest software upgrade it has pretty good spectral response in the 400nm - 675nm range for a "inexpensive" PAR meter.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #36 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Seattle_Aquarist, the new Apogee sensors are definitely an improvement on the previous generation. I can't see what he's doing with the sensor in the tank, but there's something weird going on with his numbers. At some point I'll test this model out with a Li-cor and post numbers.
post #37 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 AM

Longshot but does anyone know where I can get this light in South Africa? Or at least someone who ships there?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
post #38 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on these but I have a question. I have a 65 gallon 36x18x24 tank, with the substrate I am looking at around 21 to 22 inches from light to substrate depending on how the mount sets. Would 1 of the 36-48 inch lights get me to medium light at the substrate or would I need to get 2?
post #39 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval released a video about the FluvalSmart app today. I'm sure we were kind of expecting future software upgrades and the comment ~1:00 confirms it. I'm loving this light so far. It's built solid.

post #40 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalizd View Post
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on these but I have a question. I have a 65 gallon 36x18x24 tank, with the substrate I am looking at around 21 to 22 inches from light to substrate depending on how the mount sets. Would 1 of the 36-48 inch lights get me to medium light at the substrate or would I need to get 2?
I need to organize the data and I'm feeling lazy right now but this was taken from a standard 75g tank... the readings for 9" offset 16"/18.5" depth (the other light is raised up on feet...) are partially blocked by some stem plants... oh well. Depends what you consider medium but maybe with lids and especially at the front/back it may be "low". The feet on the fluval give almost no height.

AboveBeyond likes this.
post #41 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I need to organize the data and I'm feeling lazy right now but this was taken from a standard 75g tank... the readings for 9" offset 16"/18.5" depth (the other light is raised up on feet...) are partially blocked by some stem plants... oh well. Depends what you consider medium but maybe with lids and especially at the front/back it may be "low". The feet on the fluval give almost no height.

Thank you!!!

From what I am reading on your chart with all lights on you are getting a reading of 64 PAR at 19 inches with an offset of 9 inches. Most of my plants will do fine with low light but do better with medium. The only ones that really need the stronger light is my dwarf hair grass mats which unfortunately set in the front left of my tank. They would be at 21/22 inches offset between 3.5 and 9 inches from center. I am currently running four 30 watt t8s. A rough guess would put the PAR around 30 offset 9 inches at a height of 24 inches. If my math and curve are right. It would be on the cusp of what they like but I may be able to get by with 1. I was thinking about getting 2 and setting one towards the back of the tank and one towards the front but if I can get by with one I would rather invest the $160 for the second light on something else.

Bump: I have Italian Val, amazon sword, crypto Wendi red, bacopa, moneywort, wisteria which will all do fine with a lower light but the dwarf hairgrass is the one I am worried about. I donít use co2 but I do use limited frets, root tabs and flourish as well as flourish excel for the carbon.
post #42 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi @micca,

Wow! It looks like it will do just about anything I will need including adjusting the spectrum to my taste and photoperiod to my needs. Thank you for finding and sharing this!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #43 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Algae Grower

And a Java fern wined love but it generally doesnít care what kind of light I give it...lol

Bump: Windelove that should say, and ferts not frets. Thank you autocorrect...lol
post #44 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalizd View Post
Thank you!!!

From what I am reading on your chart with all lights on you are getting a reading of 64 PAR at 19 inches with an offset of 9 inches. Most of my plants will do fine with low light but do better with medium. The only ones that really need the stronger light is my dwarf hair grass mats which unfortunately set in the front left of my tank. They would be at 21/22 inches offset between 3.5 and 9 inches from center. I am currently running four 30 watt t8s. A rough guess would put the PAR around 30 offset 9 inches at a height of 24 inches. If my math and curve are right. It would be on the cusp of what they like but I may be able to get by with 1. I was thinking about getting 2 and setting one towards the back of the tank and one towards the front but if I can get by with one I would rather invest the $160 for the second light on something else.

Bump: I have Italian Val, amazon sword, crypto Wendi red, bacopa, moneywort, wisteria which will all do fine with a lower light but the dwarf hairgrass is the one I am worried about. I donít use co2 but I do use limited frets, root tabs and flourish as well as flourish excel for the carbon.
64 was 6" offset 9" offset was 50 par + a few inches of height and my readings were with no lids on if you are using a lid...
post #45 of 168 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

I have a lid but the fish are livebearers, Cory cats and cherry shrimp so I can remove the lid without issue. I just thought of something, I may be able to place the light a little closer to the front instead of center since my background plants are all fine with lowlight. That would put my offset at 6 inches for the hair grass but closer to 12 inches to the back of the tank. Do you think the light spread would cover an acceptable low light at 12 inches offset?

Bump: Especially since the background plants are tall and do not really need light to reach the substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode