• 2 Post By planted101
  • 2 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
75 gallon PAR (light) levels with Fluval F&P 2.0

Hi All,

Some time ago I did a Review and Comparison of the Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 fixture. After using the fixture on my 75 gallon for over 18 months (halfway through my warranty period) I can report absolutely no problems with the unit.

I recently 'broke down' my 75 gallon after almost four years, cleaned it, and am currently getting ready to re-stock it. Since it has been refilled for a couple of weeks, the water is clear, and all the plants are still short I decided to take some PAR readings with the GSAS Apogee Model MQ-510 PAR meter. I have one light on the tank, the 48" - 60" Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 (Model A3992) running at full output. The distance between the light and the substrate surface is 19.5" and I have a glass cover (Aqueon Versa-top) on the tank that was cleaned but has some mineral build-up. These are the readings I got with the PAR meter through the glass top (add about 10% to the PAR levels below if no glass top):

Directly under light [email protected]
At back glass (blk background) [email protected]
At front glass [email protected]
At side glass [email protected]

I was impressed how uniform the output levels were (approx [email protected] +/- 10%) considering the glass top and 18" front to back dimension of the tank. Since we have ( somewhat arbitrarily) decided that the following PAR levels / light levels correspond as follows then I can achieve medium/high to high light levels with just one light on my tank.
Quote:
PAR Values
Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.
Keep in mind that these values are what is currently accepted by the community as accurate, and aren't set in stone.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking of upgrading to a 75 gallon and using two 24 inch F&P 2.0 fixtures to span the length. Sounds like it could work well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great bit of information @Seattle_Aquarist - especially considering the recent lighting change to my 75g tank. One of these days I am going to have to borrow a PAR meter to see exactly where I am PAR wise.
Currently I am running a Satellite Plus Pro (48"-60"), a Satellite Plus (48"-60") and now on the right hand side a Fluval F&P 2.0 (24"). All fixtures are running at full power with the Satellite lights on for 9 hours and the Fluval on for 5 hours. PAR info from Current
I seem to remember Hoppy saying the sub-straight PAR would be the sum of the 2 lights where the lights actually overlapped. Not sure what the Satellite Plus puts out (not much in my opinion) but the Satellite Plus Pro was advertised at something close to the Fluval light. If that is correct, considering the fixtures are touching each other, I could be looking at maybe 150+ PAR at the sub-straight directly under the 2 lights. Seems like I might be needing to dim things down a bit before the algae farm begins to take over :-)
Again, thank-you for the updated PAR info

Last edited by Immortal1; 12-14-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: <?>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Immortal1,

This may help you! FS (for rent) Apogee PAR Meter - For Sale or Trade - Aquatic Plant Central

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Seattle_Aquarist, I have been meaning to contact Hoppy on the meter - just for got how to get ahold of him. Thank-you for the link!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode