Setting AI Prime Freshwater - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anybody running these with red plants? I'm running mine, and red plants are green up top, but pure red underneath.

I run the lights at 10-20% on all colors. How do u get the red hue on the plants to return?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostudent4life View Post
I’d love the opportunity to add more plant variety! I’m always looking for something new at my local shop, but the supply is rather consistent. Thanks for the offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Bumping my last post. Would you mind sharing your "%% numbers for each and are you still running the lights this way?

Thanks!

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

Prime HD is the marine version isn't it??

There is a freshwater version which might be better suited for a planted tank.

Both will grow plants fine I am guessing. Marine might be overkill for intensity.

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerTX View Post
I have two of these running at full capacity over 65G angel South American aquarium. The lights are fantastic, but agree with over users, its hard to find templates. I reached out to AI to get their suggestion for my High-tech, High-Light, High-Fert setup. They recommended 12 hours with a 2 hour ramp time (8 hour full intensity). Plants and algae are doing great, but was in middle of an algae outbreak before install 2-3 weeks ago.

Currently sunrise ramp is at 8 am, to morning light (by 10AM) is 125 cool white, 110 blue, 20 warm, 37 green, 100 red then as the day progress the lighting switches to (5pm) Warm 125 Cool 81 Blue 100 red 115 green 100. Greens and Reds intensify at in the morning, wane during afternoon light, then increase to peaks toward dusk (125,109 7pm). I agree with previous posters regarding the yellowish-water 6700k lighting however the plants are loving it, thus why I added the green and reds to clean up the look and sharpness. The Blue led being left high also shimmers the water and bubbles further enhancing the look. I also have 3 storms which can occur daily to provide a random photosynthesis break. I did my best to follow the 2.5 hour amazon sunrise and 1.5 sunset.

Algae is a battle, possibly due to the red and intensities, but as of now I'm reluctant to change the lighting as it is improving, slowly. All in all great lights, interested in seeing what others experiences are.
Hey Chandler, looking to see what others are doing with this light as well. I have 3 on my 125, and could use some advice. Are you still running your lights like this? What kind of fertz do you use? Thanks in advanced.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrebel View Post
Prime HD is the marine version isn't it??

There is a freshwater version which might be better suited for a planted tank.

Both will grow plants fine I am guessing. Marine might be overkill for intensity.
They are both are kinda called Prime HD, one either says Freshwater, or FW. People here have both I have noticed. I have the freshwater version, and struggling to get a good template to set on my 125.

post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Algae Grower

I see I didn't realise that about the HD part.

Can't help you with the setting though. My suggestion is to play with the light until you get the colour you want and then just ramp up and down sunrise/set over half and hour.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

Am I missing something? I am trying to upload an API file to my Prime HD Freshwater though the web app but I am missing the 'share' button (see screen shot).

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIPrime.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	879445  

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

Did you ever get the setting you were looking for? To get good growth without algae? I do not have time now to look through the entire thread. I am enjoying this light but learning as I go along, as I have only done salt water for the last 30 years or so.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

A friendly bump here!

Newbie hereóalso running the Prime Freshwater. Just read through this entire thread, trying to find what seems to be that sweet spot for inhibiting algae growth but allowing plants to thrive!

Iíve got the prime on a 23Ē long 18Ē high 21 gallon. This last week Iíve been in an algae nightmare, and I suspect lighting is my number one cause.

I run my prime ramping up 2 hours to full power for 8 hours then down for 3 hours. I leave green on at 1% overnight. This is probably all wrong LOL.

I also agree with a previous post that the warm white just looks dirty.... and I know that Prime makes a red light that focuses on refugium algae growth, so in my mind it makes sense to cut the red....

Anyone have any suggestions/template they can share that is that sweet spot for optimum high light carpet plants with minimum algae growth?

Some photos for you....

At full power

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:18 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeturbo View Post
... that sweet spot for optimum high light carpet plants with minimum algae growth?
Cute. My tank <> your tank and my numbers are next to useless to you.
Asteroid likes this.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Cute. My tank <> your tank and my numbers are next to useless to you.

What size tank are you running them on? Maybe if we take dimensions and put it into a math problem I can find a solution LOL
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a science experiment that you need to figure out on your own for each tank to some extent :/ There's not just some setting that just works for everyone. If the tank is set up recently the early weeks are just weird for algae also. I suppose if you are trying to fix this using only the light you would probably want to reduce the brightness and/or length of the "day" period...
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
What size tank are you running them on? Maybe if we take dimensions and put it into a math problem I can find a solution LOL
It doesn't work that way. Every tank is different based on plant type, mass, your maintenance habits, co2, etc, etc. etc.

If you started you tank with a long light period and used 8 hours of top light that more than likely caused the issue. Most tanks can't handle that especially at startup. There isn't a mature bio-filter or fully adjusted plant when you first start. The process for algae is initiated by the excess light before you actually see the algae.

Your best bet IMO is to use just a few hours of intense light and reduce your overall lighting period to around 7 hours or so. I have grown beautiful HC carpets with just 2-3 hrs of intense light. Do more water changes than you need, and perform good maintenance and things should turn around.
Joeturbo likes this.

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

I have a prime to fill in a dark spot in the middle of my 135.
I only have it at 45%
100% is equal to about a 84 wat flourecent.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:29 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
and I know that Prime makes a red light that focuses on refugium algae growth, so in my mind it makes sense to cut the red....

Anyone have any suggestions/template they can share that is that sweet spot for optimum high light carpet plants with minimum algae growth?

I was running 3 of the AI HD Prime FW, and now Im running 4 on a 125gal. I posted earlier in this thread and I ended up copying Prostudents layout for a while. I got decent growth, but all my stem plants seemed to grow very tall and stringy. I got frustrated with the way the stem plants were looking so I took them out. After a re-scape, Im re-adjusting my lights to find a sweet spot. After doing some reading on red lights and plant growth in the aquarium, I realize now why my stem plants looked the way they did. So im turning it down from 100 to 75.

I think you should not keep red light out though. It enhances all red looking plants, and encourages red color. It also encourages flowering which I have had a decent amount of. BUT - TOO MUCH will get you the long/tall stringy plants reaching for the light. Never had a major algae issue though. I only recently added a 4th light to even out the coverage area more. With only 3 in a 72in space, it left shadowy spots inbetween the lights, and the plants placed there suffered for it. Here is my current set up.

Joeturbo likes this.

Last edited by LiQuiD SmoKe; 06-04-2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: pic update

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode