Converting Reef to Planted ATI Question - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was surprised too with 50% purple bulbs. I looked at photo's side by side compared to super flora/6400k/Fiji purple/super flora. The reds were more red and the greens more green so I made the switch. There is a purple cast with the over spill that I had to get used to but I kinda like it.

I can't tell the difference between the Fiji purple and the ATI purple plus. Not sure how the Giesemann's would compare but I would guess the colour is similar. PAR I can't say, have never tested them.

We need to start a thread with FTS of different bulb combos, it would be nice to have them all in one spot.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Miller
Seems some of these bulbs/brands max out at 4 foot and my fixture is 5 foot over a 6 foot tank. Ugh!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Planted Member

BRS has the 5ft ATI and Giesemann's, not sure if you will find 630nm and 660nm red bulbs that come in 5ft or not.

My bulb combo would be for example:
Giesemann Midday/ ATI purple plus/ ATI purple plus/ Giesemann Super flora

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Seems some of these bulbs/brands max out at 4 foot and my fixture is 5 foot over a 6 foot tank. Ugh!
Yeah I forgot about that.

I have a mixture of 5' and 4' bulbs over my tank. It has to do with the way I built my canopy.

It does limit the selection, but I am sure you will find a good mix.

Keep in mind that any six bullbs over that tank will be quite high light, so you better be prepared. High light means more attention to getting everything just right.

Can you control the banks of lights with the fixture. For instance, I have 6 bullbs but can control each bank of two lights, so I can have 2, 4, or 6 bulbs running at one time. Allows for a ramp up/ramp down and control over how many hours there is the most intense light.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
I was surprised too with 50% purple bulbs.
I'll try swapping out the Powerveg and replacing it with another purple bulb just to see what happens.

Who knows? I might like it. Certainly works great for your presentation.
Miller likes this.

------------------
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hello everyone. Converting my 200 gallon reef to a planted.

Thanks
Don't doubt you will be totally satisfied with the switch from a reef to planted tank. I kept reef tanks, including a 240 and 135 in the same room for a period, on and off for the past 24 years. I used to poo poo freshwater tanks as too simple.

But when a sick coral wiped out my tank I made the switch and havent looked back. Tanks like you see in this thread are the closest you can get to the colors of a reef and it's because of T5 lighting, so I'd urge you to find a way to use the equipment you have and take the advise of these guys responding.

Planted tanks are instant gratification compared to a reef and there is a lot more to it than I ever thought. And it sure is nice when you want to make a change or add more fish when most livestock and plants are $4-10 versus $30 to $150.
Greggz and Miller like this.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
We need to start a thread with FTS of different bulb combos, it would be nice to have them all in one spot.
I plan to get some pics and PAR data with various combinations this weekend.

Should be interesting.

------------------
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I plan to get some pics and PAR data with various combinations this weekend.

Should be interesting.
I just took a bunch of photo's with different purple combos. I'm going to make a new thread and everyone can post their results. I know I have lots of bulbs stashed away I want to add as well.
Greggz likes this.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From what I've read so far the more light the more co2 and fertilizer And plants required to reduce algae (If I'm remembering correctly). I feel like I'm drinking from a water hose while learning all I need to know.
Greggz likes this.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
From what I've read so far the more light the more co2 and fertilizer And plants required to reduce algae (If I'm remembering correctly). I feel like I'm drinking from a water hose while learning all I need to know.
Yeah there is a learning curve. I've been at it over four years and am still learning and trying to figure everything out.

Think of light like the gas pedal. The harder you push, the faster everything goes, and it can expose weaknesses. It just turbo charges everything, good and bad.

So getting ferts/CO2/maintenance correct becomes more important. Each one deserves your full attention.

High light high tech planted tanks are not for everyone. It takes a good amount of thought and effort. Like any hobby, you need to enjoy the process. And part of that process is finding a good balance in your particular tank, which is not as easy as it sounds.

I always recommend going through the journal section to find tanks with similar goals to your own. It will give you a good idea of what it takes to get there, and how those folks manage their tank. Even then, expect some stumbles along the way. We all have them.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing how things develop for you.
Quagulator likes this.

------------------
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We recommend the GIESEMANN T-5 / tropic to be used in conjunction with the GIESEMANN T-5 / super flora for Freshwater and planted aquariums.

Anyone running a tank with just these two bulbs? I would run 3 of each.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
We recommend the GIESEMANN T-5 / tropic to be used in conjunction with the GIESEMANN T-5 / super flora for Freshwater and planted aquariums.

Anyone running a tank with just these two bulbs? I would run 3 of each.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Greggz and myself did some bulb comparison photo's, I have a 2 Giesemann super flora/ 2 6400k picture which will be similar.
Greggz and Miller like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in