Beamswork & TC420 ... Need some help - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beamswork & TC420 ... Need some help

So I have the Beamswork 72" LED Strip light and I also purchased the TC420 to control it. I have included a pic of both sides of Strip light. 1st pic is timer side and 2nd pic is plug/switch side. The strip light looks like it has ground as common and the positive is the side that turns on each color. The TC420 seems to use the positive as the common and controls the LEDs brightness with the Negative.

What I am trying to do: I would like to just plug the Beamswork power supply into the jack of the TC420, then run outputs to in timer input to control the LEDs. I would like to be able to control both the day mode and the night mode on the Beamswork. I just want to keep it simple.

1. The power supply for the beamswork is DC15V 6A. Does it matter whether I plug the power into the jack or hook it up to the terminals?
2. Is there a way to use the timer plug to control the lights?
3. I can turn the switch to have both color lights on or just blue on. Can I set up the TC420 to control both channels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	727962  

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	727970  

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	727978  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
1. The power supply for the beamswork is DC15V 6A. Does it matter whether I plug the power into the jack or hook it up to the terminals?
PS hooks to the TC-420..Easiest way to power the tc
Quote:
2. Is there a way to use the timer plug to control the lights?
Not that "I'm" aware of
Quote:
3. I can turn the switch to have both color lights on or just blue on. Can I set up the TC420 to control both channels?
Def possible BUT it depends (and most likely not positive) on what the Beamswork uses as "common"...
more than likely you need to reverse the TC-420.. Like w/ the Finnex:
This was used to drive the RGB channels seperately for a Plantd plus.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...211151839c.jpg

finnex used neg as "ground".. so the added MOSFETs reversed this...

https://youtu.be/TyV1SJ8LEdU

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...e-heavy-2.html

I could guess that the "brown" is plus. The switch goes between white and blue.. so tapping off those 2 white wires should be the "channels".. but like I said positive..
TC-420 wants those to be negative..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
PS hooks to the TC-420..Easiest way to power the tc
Can I just plug it into the input jack on the right side? Or do I have to cut the plug off the power supply and connect it the terminal inputs on the left side.

Quote:
Def possible BUT it depends (and most likely not positive) on what the Beamswork uses as "common"...
more than likely you need to reverse the TC-420.. Like w/ the Finnex:
This was used to drive the RGB channels seperately for a Plantd plus.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...211151839c.jpg
When the power supply comes in to the beamswork, the negative connects to the board and the positive goes to the switch. So I assume that the common input would be negative. I didn't check this with a multimeter, I just assumed by the wire colors. Can I switch the TC420? Instead of the V+ terminal being positive, I would need it to be negative and then the individual channels would control the LED with positive output instead of negative?

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmTasker View Post
Can I switch the TC420? Instead of the V+ terminal being positive, I would need it to be negative and then the individual channels would control the LED with positive output instead of negative?
not in the way you may be thinking.. but like this:

Internal MOSFET is NPN type and "chops" the positive line.
You just need to add an external PNP Mosfet (of correct voltage ect.)
and use the internal to supply a "signal" to the gate (N) and then control the positive leg.

ONE positive. w/ larger MOSFETS you can control larger than 4A lights...

Ignore everything to the LEFT of C/E, not important..
b5 is your led string
I believe you can add a resistor at c/g to limit current.. or:
Quote:
Might mean its a good idea to put the 200 ohm series resistor on the gate just to make sure you don't get too much ringing.

square on left (for fun) is an optically isolated transistor..so you don't burn out the Aduino..

https://youtu.be/V3EdwQmYyk0

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-03-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll just settle on only control one channel so I don't have to rewire everything.

Do you know if I have to use the terminal inputs or can I just use the input plug to power the lights?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you wire the Beamswork power brick to the TC-420
Then wire the output from the TC-420 to the head..

If you don't want to wreck anything, just get matching plugs.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
you wire the Beamswork power brick to the TC-420
Then wire the output from the TC-420 to the head..

If you don't want to wreck anything, just get matching plugs.
So, just to follow up on this and ask a possibly silly question (I'm a chemist, not an EE), could I simply buy an extension like this and wire it onto the TC420, then use it inline between the power supply and light without actually having to mod the light at all? Seems pretty simple, but I have found that when it seems this straight forward it is because I am doing it wrong.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep. That's is exactly what I ended up doing. You can't control each color individually but it works great.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Yep. That's is exactly what I ended up doing. You can't control each color individually but it works great.
Sweet, thanks. I have the extra timer and think that the white only looks bad (on my tank anyway). I think programming the controller to have more viewing time trumps the blue moon light anyway. I'll have to get one of these and put it together.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just leave my light on at 2% until midnight then they go down to 1% for the rest of the night. Looks good as moon light
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
so how does this unit do with the 72in light? that is 6amps i beleave compared to the 4amps the tc420 is "rated" for any issues so far with it?
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So far mine has worked great with no issues. The unit is always cool to the touch.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
@WmTasker, @jeffkrol, is there any way to control the colors individually if I wanted to do more work? I noticed on the diagram jeffkrol posted that the different colored leds on the finnex were wired to the different tc420 channels. But, from my precursory glance at this beamswork unit, it looks like some of the other colors are wired together with the whites so maybe not? But then again, I don't know what logic circuits are in line and if there's some magic that can be done to control it anyway.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ipkiss; 10-05-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarification
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
@WmTasker, @jeffkrol, is there any way to control the colors individually if I wanted to do more work? I noticed on the diagram jeffkrol posted that the different colored leds on the finnex were wired to the different tc420 channels. But, from my precursory glance at this beamswork unit, it looks like some of the other colors are wired together with the whites so maybe not? But then again, I don't know what logic circuits are in line and if there's some magic that can be done to control it anyway.

thanks
Can't be exact but switch lights either all diodes (white and blue) or just blue..
So of course it is possible but the nuts and bolts is ?

Main question, Like the Finnex is which polarity does the Beamswork use for "common"...
Not an issue w/ Finnex or Beamswork if one just controls the whole light as one..

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Can't be exact but switch lights either all diodes (white and blue) or just blue..
So of course it is possible but the nuts and bolts is ?

Main question, Like the Finnex is which polarity does the Beamswork use for "common"...
Not an issue w/ Finnex or Beamswork if one just controls the whole light as one..
I meant I wanted the ability to control green and red as well so I was hoping someone (cough *you* . mr. led lighting extraordinaire .. *cough ) had figured it out .. and speaking of which, where'd you get that fancy box that houses your tc420 again? I thought I read in some thread that some other member had made it. Any change he/she is making more?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode