Beamswork & TC420 ... Need some help - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Followup regarding the timer port..maybe.. a bit confusing here..
Left end is the timer port , right the switch and power..
all neg ground AFAICT so would need the PNP Mosfet thingy..so you can "pulse" the plus side.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/top...420-need-help/
http://www.tribalvisiontruck.com/diyledlight.htm

First writeup mentions the diodes and I have always wondered how they did all or blue..
Needs some more probing .

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Can this work ?

Just want to know if this work to dim all colours with the TC420 ?
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacapamac View Post

That is the "classic" way, as long as polarity is correct..obviously.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Thanks Jeffkrol, really appreciate.
If I need a moon light, I add one to my liking. I think that playing with the separate colours on these are tricky and prone to incorrect lighting.

I just need a timer/dimmer.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks Jeffkrol, really appreciate.
If I need a moon light, I add one to my liking. I think that playing with the separate colours on these are tricky and prone to incorrect lighting.

I just need a timer/dimmer.

Actually, the more I look at it the more you just follow the "Finnex" way w/ adding the appropriate PNP mosfet circuit and jacking into the timer port...

Green wire = white/blue (could seperate by removing blue jumper)
Blue = blue
Black = ground
Red/Brown = positive

Just need to "pulse" the Pos to green and pos to blue wires..
Incomplete drawing btw

any real electronic guys want to clean it up??

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

That's the way I did mine, and it works great. It's so much better than just a "timer and a dimmer", since you aren't set to dimming just to one level.

You can ramp light level up and down to avoid quick light changes that will scare your inhabitants. You can have long periods of low light that let you view the tank without having to worry that it will contribute to an algal bloom, and then figure out how bright your "growing photoperiod" needs to be for your tank to grow it's best.

For example, I ramp from 0 to 30% over half an hour (sunrise), then spend 2.5 hours at 30% (twilight - plenty of light to view, way too low to contribute much to algae or plant growth), then seven hours at 90% (ramped up in 20 minutes), ramp down in the reverse pattern. I've changed the pattern and the levels as my tank got established and I learned what made it work best. I also have two "always on" modes (at 30% and 80%) in case I want to switch to a preset light for viewing at an unusual time. It is so useful to be able to fine-tune your lighting regimen this way.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm bumping this up as I think this will be my next project. I saw mention of meanwell power supply. What ratings do I need to run a DA and FSEC off on 1 tc-420. I would simply like to do a 1 hour ramp up and one hour ramp down with both fixtures running off of one power supply.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I'm bumping this up as I think this will be my next project. I saw mention of meanwell power supply. What ratings do I need to run a DA and FSEC off on 1 tc-420. I would simply like to do a 1 hour ramp up and one hour ramp down with both fixtures running off of one power supply.

Need the watt output of the fspec/da and voltage has to be the same (well generally speaking)
Whats on the output specs of the 2 power bricks?

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where or what are you buying to get those wires with the plug that go from power supply to TC421 and from TC421 to fixture? That looks really look and would make mounting really clean.
The power supplies are 15v and 21v most extensions I see are 12v at best

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Where or what are you buying to get those wires with the plug that go from power supply to TC421 and from TC421 to fixture? That looks really look and would make mounting really clean.
The power supplies are 15v and 21v most extensions I see are 12v at best
I really like the idea of going with the TC420 (or TC421 if the wifi actually works...lots of bad experiences with "wifi ready" appliances) for my Beamswork 6500K DA 36". Did you (or anyone else) every find the exact part numbers for the plugs? Or even just the sizes & polarity? I'd rather not have to destroy the Beamswork wiring if I don't have to.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Almost all the beamsworks use 5.5mm od /2.1mm id standard dc barrel plugs, like these...
https://smile.amazon.com/SIM-NAT-Con.../dp/B071LQFQ17

I prefer the 421 just because it's my understanding that to do ramping on the 420 you have to do each step individually like 9:00 10% 9:03 11% 9:05 12% or whatever while 420 is every 30 mins and will ramp between those points on its own. Not gonna lie the wifi config is a pain to set up still because you're making a schedule entering values for every 30 mins on a phone.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just starting this off here..
Sometimes the VERSION of the OS is problematic..

As to the plug yes it's known..Others will respond here.
One thing though that I remember is that sometimes it's a mechanical fit issue which is overcome w/ force..
i.e the plus tight around the waterproofing jacket.

most are center positive, easy enough to verify w/ your power supply and a VOM.
There are only 2 sizes of plug to choose from... AFAICT

post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply Wobblebonk. Looking at the "documentation" for the TC420 and TC421 (tc240.net) it does look like you're correct that the TC420 doesn't actually fade. For example from the description in an eBay listing, for the TC420:

note: If your set 6:00 @ 0% to 6:30 @ 100%, it will keep 0% from 6:00-6:29, then fade 0%-100% at the last min 6:29-6:30, or jump to 100% at 6:30 directly options.

* Brightness changing effect can be "Jump" and "Fade" between each two time points.

For the TC421:

note: If your set 6:00 @ 0% to 6:30 @ 100%, it will fade 0% to 100% in 30min.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Algae Grower

I ended up getting the TC420 and can verify that it does provide for "ramping" between set times. As far as I can tell it is identical to the TC241 without the wifi.

I have the lights completely off from 24:00 to 08:00 then at 5% until 13:00, then ramp up to 100% by 15:00. 100% until 21:00 then ramp down to 5% at 23:00. 5% is working well, it's actually bright enough that I'm wondering if it is bright enough for algae issues! Definitely bright enough to appreciate the fish.
milesm likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode