Show off your Kessil light tank - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDillon View Post
You know, I really want to put the tuna sun A80 on my freshwater 9 gallon aquastyle tank... I love the look of the lighting arm though only problem is, the one led isn't strong enough and two is off center so the light is stronger on one corner only
Well, you could do a Finnex Planted Plus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDillon View Post
You know, I really want to put the tuna sun A80 on my freshwater 9 gallon aquastyle tank... I love the look of the lighting arm though only problem is, the one led isn't strong enough and two is off center so the light is stronger on one corner only
I`m not familiar with your tank dimensions, but my A80 Tuna Sun is over a Cad Light 15 gallon with approx 20X13 foot print and substrate to light of approx 17-18 inches, i`m currently growing Bylxa Japonica , Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' & Marsilea Crenata carpet at less that full power , granted these are all considered medium light plants.
Hope this helps in someway.
Regards

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
I`m starting this thread for hobbyist that use or have used Kessil lights on their planted tanks
I`ll start
15 gallon Starfire tank with Kessil A 80 Tuna Sun, work in progress.

]
Then and now

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would two kessil a160 tuna sun be enough for a 48" long tank, by 24" wide and 18" deep/height ? I dont intend in having plants at the front of the tank nor to many on one side. It just seems the 360s are overkill for planted aquariums compared to their reef version brothers.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

I'm running 2 of the 360WE's on my 120g that's 24" deep and previously had them on a 90g that was 18" deep with 3" of substrate.

I didn't find them to be overkill and still ran them at 70% power without an algae outbreak.

Although I don't have any experience with the 160's I imagine they would be fine depending on how demanding the plants your wanting to grow will be. Always felt it was easier to reduce the power to get it in the right area then try to get more out of the light if you upgrade down the road. Given the price of these units though definitely understand wanting to avoid excess light if there won't ever be a need for it.

...if I take the dishwasher out and use paper plates I can put a tank in the kitchen without losing counter space
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLeaf View Post
I'm running 2 of the 360WE's on my 120g that's 24" deep and previously had them on a 90g that was 18" deep with 3" of substrate.

I didn't find them to be overkill and still ran them at 70% power without an algae outbreak.

Although I don't have any experience with the 160's I imagine they would be fine depending on how demanding the plants your wanting to grow will be. Always felt it was easier to reduce the power to get it in the right area then try to get more out of the light if you upgrade down the road. Given the price of these units though definitely understand wanting to avoid excess light if there won't ever be a need for it.

Thanks, yes thats exactly my concern spending almost £1000 on lighting that I may not need, my logic is that the 160 is roughly 50% power of the 360s and is advertised with the same time coverage. Its only the pentration that the 360s seem to exceed them at.
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

I'm pretty sure they use the same lenses so the coverage is still the same.

I had them about 4" above the water when they were on the 90g because the gooseneck was a bit small. On the 120g I bought the 90degree adaptor for them and now they sit about 8" above the water and I've since reduced them from 100% down to 70% power. I use the kessil controller with them so it ramps up and ramps down. Biggest let down with these lights is they aren't dimmable between 0 and 10% or 20% so you can't do a true sunrise/sunset. They're off and then they're on

Even with them higher and lower power I still have a good carpet of dwarf hair grass growing, nothing else is really demanding high light so it's going fine. I'm really happy with the lights, I know I can grow anything and won't have a need to ever upgrade them for a freshwater set-up.

I debated back and fourth on getting the 160's as well but am really happy with the larger light. If you're already debating it then you might as well just bite the bullet and make the investment.

#TeamKessil

...if I take the dishwasher out and use paper plates I can put a tank in the kitchen without losing counter space
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Kessil-A360X-...17863860&psc=1

Newest...

Low dimming..

KIT:
https://www.amazon.com/Kessil-Lights...12206675&psc=1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

For those of you looking for a cheaper option this Aussie company makes a pendant system that is comparable to an A160WE
https://makemyled.com/1-x-flora-sun-...-florasun-401/

post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
For those of you looking for a cheaper option this Aussie company makes a pendant system that is comparable to an A160WE
https://makemyled.com/1-x-flora-sun-...-florasun-401/

Better off w/ 2 AI Prime freshwater (for 160) over either of those though (PERSONAL opinion)..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where do you find those for 160? I kinda wish there was a little wiggle room with colors on the cetus 2 instead of the max cri basically being everything @ 100% but I suppose both setups have their advantages.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
Where do you find those for 160? I kinda wish there was a little wiggle room with colors on the cetus 2 instead of the max cri basically being everything @ 100% but I suppose both setups have their advantages.

sorry meant compared to the Kessil 160 (50W-ish) vs 360.

AI primes are around $200 each plus mount but inc. software..
Pretty well price locked by AI.
Actually the $200 was pre- 10% price increase..

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...yABEgLI6vD_BwE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode