The Planted Tank Forum banner

Koval 156 LED enough for high tech?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  registratorauto@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Hi

Wondering if this light is enough for a high tech 12" deep tank. I already have it but getting worried that it's not enough because I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum. Link and Specs are below:

https://www.amazon.com/KOVAL-Aquarium-Extendable-Brackets-50-Inch/dp/B00OY7OQAA?SubscriptionId=AKIAI2PJEDVTTEI2UB4A&tag=saltwaterfishtanks-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00OY7OQAA

156 bright LEDs with 5 colors, full spectrum LEDs and makes phycophyta vivid

1)White LEDs: 132pcs(8000K,0.1w)
2)Blue LEDs: 12pcs(460nm, 0.1W)
3)Green LEDs: 4pcs(500nm, 0.97W)
4)Pink LEDs: 4pcs (465nm, 0.1W)
5)Red LEDs: 4pcs (625nm, 0.08W)

#2 ·
Well one good thing is it looks like they publish "real" led emitter watts..except I have a hard time w/ 1W green..so roughly 15W of LED's..
w/out PAR measurements it is hard to tell and usually sub .3W emitters have weak output (by def really) but for a 12" tank shouldn't be too bad..

Get a lux meter app for a camera and measure that at 12" (on land of course).. divide by 47
By curiosity we took reading along a LUX meter, the 47 factor is constant.
If you have a LUXmeter divide by 47 the value and you have the PAR value (very near).
PAR readings in some of the latest LED Fixtures in the market - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the information. I just downloaded an app, and it has an "indoor" setting and "outdoor" setting. Indoor, I received a reading of 297 (or 6.3 PAR) at 12". Outdoor setting I received a reading of 1100 (or 23.4 PAR) at 12". Not sure which is accurate. I'm running CO2 as well!

Bump: I just took another "outdoor" reading at 6 inches I get 2200 Lux (or 47 PAR)

#5 ·
Yes, I see that even at 6" it qualifies as "medium" lighting. I might want to add a light. Thinking of adding a Finnex thin strip. Any suggestions? If I'm going to add lighting, it would be cool to get something that allowed me to highlight certain plants areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.