SB Reef Lights sBox 16" Basic Fresh Water Plant LED - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
SB Reef Lights sBox 16" Basic Fresh Water Plant LED

Anyone running one of the SB reef lights freshwater LED fixtures? Thinking about running two of their 16" basic models over my 75 gallon. Was hoping for medium light by hanging and using the dimmers, would that be attainable? Also just any info and feedback on the lights would be great. Here is the particular model I am looking at https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-fw-pla...led-light.html.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
They use teal and violet. But that is all I can say for now.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your desired light levels are easily attainable on one of these. They are essentially a Chinese black box with different LEDs. Those lights get pars of 200+ easily in a 24inch area

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Need to figure out exactly what they mean by "a" "b" and both????

other than that, looks like something I'd build... w/out the green

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah the channels are kinda awkward. I wish they truly split it warm/ cool light wise but it's not controllable via a ramp timer stock so maybe they have some other theory in the light layout considering there are not many situations you would want to run that thing full blast.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

OK had my coffee.. so they mean:
ch"A" blue/teal/violet/red/warm/neutral
ch"B" green/10k/red/warm/neutral

doesn't help my ego that it is clearly labelled..
scolba and scolba like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

honestly if they were to roll out of a version of these with pwm dimming they would be amazing. I know you can hack them to dim them with an analog dimmer contorller but thats a lot of added expence.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Algae Grower

I have one of these. Running at 50% channel B and 30% channel A generally. It's really bright over a 29g high. New tank so I'm seeing algae directly under the light. I'm needing to add lights on the end is my only issue it's on a stand 7" above the water and the last 4 inches on the sides are somewhat dim. Just adding 30watt 5400k photography CFLs on the ends see how that goes. So on a 75 two should be fine, especially hung. But for better spread I'd go with maybe the 30" or three lights if you find it's not the best spread on your 75.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 3 of em on my 135 gallon, running 10% channel "a," 30% channel "b." drilled some 1/8" thick angle iron to mount the 3 fixtures together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 02-16-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: correction
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanastasio View Post
I have one of these. Running at 50% channel B and 30% channel A generally. It's really bright over a 29g high. New tank so I'm seeing algae directly under the light. I'm needing to add lights on the end is my only issue it's on a stand 7" above the water and the last 4 inches on the sides are somewhat dim. Just adding 30watt 5400k photography CFLs on the ends see how that goes. So on a 75 two should be fine, especially hung. But for better spread I'd go with maybe the 30" or three lights if you find it's not the best spread on your 75.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
over a 29 I'd just pull the lenses off you will get better spread you don't need the penetration on a 29.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

Hows the growth using the sb reef lights? Are they better than finnex ray2s or fluval 2.0pro?
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinhell View Post
Hows the growth using the sb reef lights? Are they better than finnex ray2s or fluval 2.0pro?
I am curious about user experiences with this light as well.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
spec wise they will blow both of them out of the water. these lights are designed to grow sps coral in a 24x24x24 cubic area they just changed the spectrum to be fresh water friendly. there is no way you could run one of these full blast over an aquarium with gobs of c02. just would be to bright.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
Quote:
spec wise they will blow both of them out of the water. these lights are designed to grow sps coral in a 24x24x24 cubic area they just changed the spectrum to be fresh water friendly. there is no way you could run one of these full blast over an aquarium with gobs of c02. just would be to bright.
I know a guy that runs 4 over his 125. Gets crazy growth on his plants. His pogo Kimberley look amazing. So do all his other red plants. He also has about 60 cardinals in there, but goes through tons of co2 like you said.

Everyone I've talked to about them recommend going with two 16inch over the 32 inch. You can spread them apart to get all the corners of the tank. Also none of the light will be right above the center brace.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
I have one of these over my 46 bowfront, sitting about 6" above the tank on 90% both channels and just use excel for the last month. it's just amazing so far, growth is awesome, and now im finally getting algie that my plecos munch on.

also had some red root floaters, and this has so much power it can grow them and still have enough light to grow everything under them. i took the red roots out for a bit though, i wanted to try and grow a carpet in my tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode