Kessil A80 Tuna Sun - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kessil is a company I personally don't agree or trust with, now this was on the king of DIY and people say its true and it works an stuff, but if you go on amazon and get a floodlight (a little one that fits your aquarium size and needs) its just a bright and produces EVEN LESS shimmer, and works apparently with all plants, ill give a link here in just a bit.

Bump: Floodlight link
mageikman32 and mageikman32 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarrow View Post
Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has an A80 Tuna Sun over an 18x18x18 planted tank and it looks bright enough to grow anything; I don't think this was at 100% either as I fiddled with the output knob and it went a bit brighter. See picture.
thanks for the pic
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

I have one on the way as well. At $150 with a gooseneck if this thing can really grow anything at around 12" substrate depth its kind of a game changer for cheap high quality lighting on smaller tanks for those who don't like strip lights. As for the comment on led floodlights being a good alternative I think that's a bit ridiculous. I have a 10w flood over my 6gal low tech and while it does work well the quality of lighting you're going to get as far as color rendering and shimmer from the kessil is going to be much nicer. On top of all that its a much more attractive package and I don't have a ton of faith in the longevity of the flood lights. They serve their purpose for the cost but so does a Toyota carolla vs an Audi, both will get you to work but it's all about where you prefer to spend your money. Mine is going to be over a 15.8x12.6x12.6 tank so I will be sure to chime in on how it works out for me.
tariqkieran and tariqkieran like this.

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTerror View Post
I have one on the way as well. At $150 with a gooseneck if this thing can really grow anything at around 12" substrate depth its kind of a game changer for cheap high quality lighting on smaller tanks for those who don't like strip lights. As for the comment on led floodlights being a good alternative I think that's a bit ridiculous. I have a 10w flood over my 6gal low tech and while it does work well the quality of lighting you're going to get as far as color rendering and shimmer from the kessil is going to be much nicer. On top of all that its a much more attractive package and I don't have a ton of faith in the longevity of the flood lights. They serve their purpose for the cost but so does a Toyota carolla vs an Audi, both will get you to work but it's all about where you prefer to spend your money. Mine is going to be over a 15.8x12.6x12.6 tank so I will be sure to chime in on how it works out for me.
Congrats, looking forward to reading your experience with it.
Back ordered here in my neck of the woods in Canada -Frustrating!

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

error, plz delete

Plants and algae grower.

Last edited by micheljq; 01-09-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: error, plz delete
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
Congrats, looking forward to reading your experience with it.
Back ordered here in my neck of the woods in Canada -Frustrating!
Should be arriving tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
Should be arriving tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!
nice put up some pics when you can. I'm still on the waiting list
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoon View Post
nice put up some pics when you can. I'm still on the waiting list
Light is here , gooseneck is not.I will Ghetto mount it until such time the gooseneck finds it`s way here

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

Curious to see some picture with that product, the silence mode is always a big plus.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalion View Post
Curious to see some picture with that product, the silence mode is always a big plus.
My tank is in it`s infancy stage and a work in progress, nevertheless i will take and post a picture when i get home.

post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Really interested to see some actual pictures of these things in action. I am curious if it will be able to grow a carpet in a tank that is 18 inches deep.

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

Hmm those numbers don't look promising. I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated. Lighting a planted tank is frustrating since there are no good options in the LED market. I am thinking about snagging two gen 1 radion pros for a 120p size aquarium if I can find them at a decent price.

post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated.
Can't se how that is possible.. Even w/ some increased diode efficiency they are still 1/2 the power of a 160.
Can't fight physics..though you could focus the bejessus out of it.. but spread would suffer..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
Hmm those numbers don't look promising. I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated. Lighting a planted tank is frustrating since there are no good options in the LED market. I am thinking about snagging two gen 1 radion pros for a 120p size aquarium if I can find them at a decent price.

There's plenty of good options in the LED market for planted tanks, options that are proven to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScubaSteve and ScubaSteve like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode