PinBallAnnie 4 Gallons - Your Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Your Tanks

Aquarium May08.jpg
User PinBallAnnie
Size 4 Gallons
Date Started March 2008
Lighting 13W 7100K daylight bulb that came with the kit
Equipment Finnex PF-5 filter that also came with the kit, with the addition of some ceramic media and floss; a 25W (?) Hydor heater--the label came off so it's a guess.
CO2 None added
Substrate Eco-Complete with some old aquarium gravel that I used to seed the tank.
Parameters Soft, 80KH alkalinity, slightly acidic to neutral. I'm just learning how to test it so I suspect my "test strips" are general at best.
Fertilization Right now nothing, but starting to see that I should....
Plants Best guesses--some I know, some were just grown from bulbs and I'm not sure what I have. Microsword Nymphaea sp. Pubescens? Grew from a Petco dry bulb. Cryptocoryne wendtii Brown or Tropica, can't tell Hygrophilia difformis HC Aponogeton, but I can't match it exactly The flowers were right for an Aponogeton.
Inhabitants An aging betta fish to whom I'm giving a good retirement. 1 cherry shrimp The inevitable snails.
Comments This is very new, and I haven't had an aquarium since I was a teenager. I bought the bulbs to try to treat my rescue (from an art auction) betta fish better in his little bowl, and then I wanted to know what they were, and now I have a planted tank. And I love it, addictive as it is. Comments/identification of plants/etc. welcome.
Profile Views 438

PinBallAnnie
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Sorry the photo is a bit blurry.

PinBallAnnie
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I was wrong--I think the crypt is some sort of Echinodorus species.

PinBallAnnie
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'd like to add a Cory but then I think there are too many fish...a betta and two shrimp now. Too much?

PinBallAnnie
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My betta (punk) killed the female cherry. Very sad about that. The male he seems to ignore. Figured out that it's HC, and still working on the right balance to get rid of an algae growth that came with one of the plants. Started fertilizing. Excel and Flourish, small quantities 2x a week.

gbose
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
very nice!

SaturnSlipper

Your Avatar
*Fairly impressive result, considering the small size of this tank. Would love to see more pictures of same tank under slightly pinker & dimmer light. Lovely contrast of blue fish against lime green and almost red leaves. Very clear water; intersting driftwood. Hopefully, the left rear corner will fill in with time. With such a small space, deifinitely less is more when it comes to fishy occupants. Kudos for your effort & info here ~S*