wakemenow 5 gallons - Your Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Your Tanks

dec23.jpg
User wakemenow
Size 5 gallons
Date Started 12/09/2007
Lighting One 10w CF bulb
Equipment Eclipse Hex 5, air pump and stone
CO2 None introduced yet.
Substrate Inert gravel mixed with laterite.
Parameters Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: very low Nitrate: 30ppm (before last water change, haven't tested since) 78 degrees F
Fertilization Tetra Flora Pride, laterite
Plants Java ferns, anacharis
Inhabitants One zebra danio and 1 small Oranda goldfish (I know they aren't supposed to be mixed but the danio's just placed there temporarily).
Comments It's been up for a few weeks now and is developing a diatom problem (as to be expected), so I'm reducing the light exposure period to about 6 hours a day.
Profile Views 560
front_view.jpg orandafish.jpg

Ishar
Planted Member

Your Avatar
Goldfish Rule of Thumb: 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons more for every other goldfish.

Chartreuse Boots
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i think it's okay to keep a single small goldfish in a 5g... assuming 50% water changes are preformed weekly, and there is a long term home available for the fish. i know someone who keeps three in a 12g for his little sister. when they get too big he moves them to his pond and replaces them with little ones. it usually becomes a problem when the fish is the size of the ornament and nobody can remember the last time the water was changed. :P

Kolkri
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
No it is not ok. That tank is much to small for even one goldfish. No matter how much water changes you do.

Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
A pair of cherry barbs would give good color and movement and be much more in line with the size of this tank.