migs_hernan 20 Gallons - Your Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Your Tanks

1 year.jpg
User migs_hernan
Size 20 Gallons
Date Started January 9, 2013
Lighting 3 x T5 14 Watts Fluorescent Light
Equipment Aqua Zonic: Black Knight #1 Overhead Filter, Aquarium Thermometer, DIY 12V Cooling Fan and DIY Tarpaulin Background.
CO2 API CO2 Booster Liquid Carbon
Substrate 3kg of Garden Soil, 7kg of Bicol Sand and 6kg of Pure Black Sand.
Parameters Water Temperature is around 25-29C
Fertilization ISTA Water Plant Fertilizer, Flora and Flora Nutriment
Plants Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana, Bacopa Monnieri, Dwarf Sagittaria (carpet), Ludwigia Repens, Star Grass, Green Stricta and Sunset Hygrophillia.
Inhabitants 10 Neon Tetras, 3 Rummy Nose Tetras, 6 White Skirt Tetras, 8 Nerite Snails, and 8 Philippine Rainbow Shrimps (wild caught).
Comments This is a low-medium tech planted tank. Here is a link of its video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymIGmjZO24
Profile Views 2034

Thamizhandaa...
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nice setup. Ur background..!? Is it a DIY or just a poster..?!

migs_hernan
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Thanks! It is just a customized tarpaulin for the background. ^^,

Aquamom
Planted Member

Your Avatar
Looks wonderful! Since you only started this tank on January 9th of this year, it obviously hasn't cycled yet. It seems you plan to cycle with fish. I think you're a bit overstocked for a 20-gallon, especially since the tank hasn't cycled, yet. You have one heck of a huge bioload. Or, was 2013 a typo? Did you mean January 9th, 2012? Where did you get the garden soil for part of the substrate? I'm curious, because garden soil purchased at a garden center often has ingredients in it that may not be suitable for an aquarium. If it's from your own garden, I assume it contained no fertilizers or pesticides? A wonderful-looking set-up; I only hope it stays that way for you.

migs_hernan
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Thank you for your wonderful comment Aquamom. There are no mistakes with regards to the date I started having this setup. I was just too excited by that time so I decided to put the fishes in the tank 3 hours after finishing the aquascaping knowing it hasn't cycled yet. I am also aware that my tank is overcrowded with fishes and right now I'm thinking of removing a group of them. Can you help me decide which group of fishes should I remove from my tank? ^^,

migs_hernan
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I forgot to say that I am using our own garden soil and because of that, I'm planning to add fertilizers soon. ^^,

Z71kitty
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I really like your tank and plants. The background is very nice also!

migs_hernan
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Thanks Z71kitty! ^^,

elo500
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nice looking tank. Tell me what kind of snail is the red one with racing stripes, it looks painted?

migs_hernan
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
@elo500, it is a Nerite Snail. Actually, I have different strains of it. You can visit the thread I made about them at this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=488097&highlight=