The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 31 Results
  1. Substrate
    Hi! I'm trying to decide what substrate to use for my new 80L (20g) aquarium. I'm planning to have seacham flourite (3-7mm) in the bottom/back of the aquarium to make some room for bacteria and get a bit if CEC. And then I'm thinking about having a finer inert gravel (1-2mm) in the front, for...
  2. Substrate
    does anyone have flourite sand in their tanks? the brown sand to be exact, not the black one. i’m starting up a new tank (40 gallon breeder) with multiple danio species as well as a lot of corys. i need a substrate that won’t hurt the corys and i would prefer a dark but natural looking...
  3. Aquascaping
    Hello, I got overly enthusiastic and chose UG as my first carpeting plant. I did a dry start from May 1 - early June with little to show, then flooded the tank about 5 weeks ago. I followed a method I saw on instagram - no filter, no heater, no co2 (couldn't get it cause of lockdown anyway)...
  4. Substrate
    I'm about to start a pretty simple 7 gallon scape that's mostly just going to be a monte carlo carpet. This will be the first carpet I'm attempting and I have a substrate question. I know I need soil for the monte carlo to spread best, but I have a bunch of flourite left over from my previous...
  5. Substrate
    After 2 years, I unfortunately have to redo my 40G high tech tank since I have to move it. Currently I am using ADA Amazonia. I am beginning to question whether Amazonia (or any aqua soil for that matter) is a good choice for me. Please note that I like to keep my tanks for 3-5 years and...
  6. Substrate
    I'm not very happy with the substrate I have in my planted tank at the moment. It is flourite mixed with sand on top. I was attempting to make my Aquarium a Congo biotope but I have not so far been successful and the flourite has risen to the top of the substrate in many places as I believe it...
  7. Substrate
    Forget using a colander, bucket, or tray rinsing. One of my friends taught me to do this flush and fill method and my tank cleared up by the morning time. I used Flourite Dark for my first planted setup and it turned out great. By day four it was almost crystal clear, I didn't have cloudiness...
  8. General Planted Tank Discussion
    So I've had my tank for about 3 years now and the setup has been very basic. Tank is 130L. The brand is Aquaone, I bought the whole package which came with the tank, light, HOB filter, heater and stand. Since then I got another HOB filter (Aquaclear). The substrate is Peat moss with white sand...
  9. Planted Nano Tanks
    I recently added Flourite to my 7.5 gal tank and I was wondering everyone else's experience with Flourite went or is continuing to go? It looks aesthetically wonderful. Adding plants in there this week which should be exciting. Just wondering! Happy New Year!
  10. Substrate
    hey everyone. I have a 20 gallon long aquascape that has seachem flourite in it. I do not like this substrate at all for the plants I am trying to grow. I agree it is an excellent substrate for swords and stuff, but not for what I am trying to grow. Plant list: Pearlweed, S. Repens, Ludwigia...
  11. Substrate
    I'm planning out a little 20G Long high-light CO2 driven tank and I'm trying to figure out my substrate. This aquarium will be set up for at least the next 2 years so I'd like to make a choice that doesn't have to be ripped out later. I'm debating between just flourite or a flourite cap on...
  12. Substrate
    Hello everyone! I have a 75 gallon tank that I want to convert into a planted tank. Based on the general rule of 2 lbs of gravel/substrate per gallon of water, I'm aiming for about 80 lbs of substrate. I currently have about 60 lbs of white gravel in the tank. What I would like to do is add...
  13. Substrate
    I just put Flourite in a 10 gallon tank last night, didn't wash it, as I thought that washing it would remove all the nutrients from the substrate. Now I see that others have completely washed theirs. Is it ok to wash it, and will it remove all the nutrients like I thought? The way it is now...
  14. General Planted Tank Discussion
    hello there...new to the forum and have a question for all you planted tank junkies...here goes, i have used both flourite and black sand as substrate for planted tanks in the past with excellent results. my question is would it be a good idea to use flourite as base layer with sand as top layer...
  15. Substrate
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help with substrate choice for my first big high tech tank. Just bought a nice 4 (L) x 2(W) x 2.6ft(H) low iron tank and trying to work my way through the confusing maze that is substrate choice! Going to do a fairly natural heavily planted Holland style tank...
  16. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Good Morning, This is my first thread after looking around the forums for a while. I tried search around with no luck. I plan on relocated my 40G breeder tank from one side of the house to another. I know that I should keeping as much of the old water as possible. When I first bought the...
  17. Tank Journals
    Hey everybody, so today I decided to do a well needed job-clean my 10. I'm rather satisfied with how it turned out, so I figured it was showable. The plants are Cabomba, hornwort, pennywort, dwarf sag, java moss, rotala indica, and lastly, narrow leaf ludwigia. Fish are a female german blue ram...
  18. Substrate
    I bought a bag of red Flourite and found out that is is very dirty, I mean very dirty! And I donot see the justification for the price and doubt it benifits, despite of many people here claim otherwise. Here is why. 1. It is just crushed shale and slate, both are mud stone, with the latter...
  19. Substrate
    I was wondering if anyone could provide a bit of advice. I just upgraded to my first large tank, 75g. I switched to Seachem Flourite this time and made the mistake of listening to what they said on the bag ( that rinsing was not necessary). Now my tank looks like one big muddy mess and I am...
  20. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello everyone, This is my first planted tank and first post on this site! I am in the proces of turning my 10G betta tank into a planted tank. Here's my setup so far Standard 10G tank with small HOB filter using filter floss and biomax Standard incodecent fixture with two 23W 6500K CFLs 25W...
1-20 of 31 Results