The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 336 Results
  1. Substrate
    Hey all, I'm thinking of a year or so down the line and was curious how I would go about swapping out existing Amazonia v2 substrate for new Amazonia v2 substrate. The ammonia spike when adding the soil initially was worse than I expected so when I consider changing that out down the road, what...
  2. Substrate
    Hi everyone ~ question here. I made a soil substrate with mostly top soil, peat moss, and compost. I sprinkled in some worm castings and handful or so of epsom. I also added a bit of diatomaceous earth and a tiny sprinkling of plant food. I capped it off with 2 inches of black sand. Then, I...
  3. Algae
    Need expert advice, i am running this low tech soil based tank for over a 1.5 year. About 6 months back my algae boomed with a mistake i did. The soil is caped or not I totally forgot now. But the algae is now at the bottom above the substrate and keep growing. Should I put a layer of sand over...
  4. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    I'm planning out a custom build for my sitting room, roughly 11 gallons (41L) and want to finally set up a Caridina tank. I'm not too familiar with the active substrates available however, and unfortunately, I don't have as many LFS's around anymore and that one doesn't have anything other than...
  5. Substrate
    I purchased three bags of Eco-Complete at least two years ago when I planned to set up a tank. Then, life happened, and I won't be adding water until next week. I know it comes with a bacterial culture, and I'm a bit worried that without being opened in a timely manner, the culture has died...
  6. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    So I just have a simple question. Am I able to use my cherry shrimp poop as substrate in my 10 gallon planted setup?
  7. Question

So I just have a simple question. Can I use my cherry shrimp poo as soil in my 10 gallon shrimp planted tank?
  8. Substrate
    I've neglected trimming one of my tanks so long that I've developed a hearty contingent of emersed plants, including a rotala of some kind and what I think is pogostemon octopus. It looks rather nice and I'd like to take the emersed stems and plant them in a bowl to see how they do. I also have...
  9. Substrate
    So I recently got fluvial stratum to replace my current gravel, but I just realized that I really don't know what to do with it... So I have a few questions: Can I vacuum it or no? Some sources say just to keep the vacuum an inch away from it, others say not to do it at all, so what do I do? (I...
  10. Substrate
    Hi everyone, I'm starting a new 3ft planted aquarium and I was wondering if it is possible to use pond soil as a base layer and then aquasoil to cap it off? I have seen a few videos and articles that promotes the use of dirt in your aquarium but none that uses dirt and aquasoil at the same time.
  11. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I am new to aquariums as a hobby and my goal currently is to get a planted tank going with some Caridina shrimp. My understanding is that these shrimp prefer lower pH and 0 KH and some GH. I'll briefly summarize my experience and the setup so far: 3 L of ADA amazonia 2.0 aquasoil as the...
  12. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hey guys, so I'm a big fan of marine ecosystems and aquariums. I have decided to do a small project as a test before upgrading. I am attempting to create a self-sustaining aquarium and today is actually day one. I have already filled my "tank" (it's a 20-litre transparent water bottle) with the...
  13. Substrate
    In January of this year, I started a discussion on using Black Diamond Blasting Sand (BDBS) as an aquarium substrate, specifically in regards to its use with plants and corydoras. It has since been about 6 months since I started using BDBS. Here are my findings for those who are interested: It...
  14. Substrate
    I am extremely new to Aquascaping and just doing my homework research, I am unable to solve a dilemma: I heard about DIY Top Soil that could be used as a substrate in a planted aquarium, and it is dirt cheap and also doesn't degrade or breakdown in a long time but I got to know there are some...
  15. Substrate
    Hi all, Im going to try a dirt tank for a new project. I have some organic topsoil on the way. I have Tetra ActiveSubstrate (a clay) and play sand. Should i mix some of this clay and sand into the top soil (if its quite dence - wont know until i get it) or just put the dirt down, then the...
  16. Substrate
    what is your favorite natural looking substrate?
  17. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I know enough not to chase pH but I have a few concerns with my water parameters. I have a new moderately planted high light tank with co2 injection, first time with co2, and I'm using ada aquasoil ver2 for the first time. The aquasoil is buffering my pH down to about 5.5. I've been trying to...
  18. Tank Journals
    Note: I have not posted the progress of the tank on this forum, this is just a story about what will happen when you cheap out on the wrong things. I walked into my fish room, I do a survey on all the tanks, Check Check Check Disaster, my 40 gal revamp for some old South American community...
  19. Substrate
    I have been looking into budget substrate options as I cannot really bring myself to spend £30.00 on substrate. I know that play sand is a safe option, however, i have seen "grano dust" available on the website of a local supply store ('Massams Supplies Ltd' if you wanted to take a look) but I...
  20. Substrate
    Hi all Hear me out before you judge.... I have an idea when it comes to replacing substrate. Looking to hear your thoughts on if it is a good idea. Im thinking of removing most of the current substrate, and placing it in a pair of tights(UK) i think you call them pantyhose in the USA, tying...
1-20 of 336 Results