The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 41 Results
  1. Substrate
    I purchased three bags of Eco-Complete at least two years ago when I planned to set up a tank. Then, life happened, and I won't be adding water until next week. I know it comes with a bacterial culture, and I'm a bit worried that without being opened in a timely manner, the culture has died...
  2. Substrate
    Hi! I'm trying to decide what substrate to use for my new 80L (20g) aquarium. I'm planning to have seacham flourite (3-7mm) in the bottom/back of the aquarium to make some room for bacteria and get a bit if CEC. And then I'm thinking about having a finer inert gravel (1-2mm) in the front, for...
  3. Plants
    so after doing a search I saw a thread from this forum saying monte carlo isn't good with gravel unless it's small. any suggestions for slightly larger gravel (it's the river bed gravel from Imagitarium at your local big box). CO2 set up will come eventually, so I'd love to hear all of y'alls...
  4. Fish
    Hello, I’m new to the forums and this is my first post, so apologies if it is out of place. I’m just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year break And due to space restrictions, I’ve ended up with a 60 gallon tall tank, 48”x12”x25”tall. It has 50 of gravel used for aqua scraping and...
  5. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hi everyone ! I set up a new planted tank a few days ago (on july 5th). I keep the light on from 8 a.m. to to 10 p.m. I checked the pH and it's neutral. I notice that my plants are dying. I keep finding and picking dead roots from the gravel. I'm worried that the coarse gravel is crushing the...
  6. Substrate
    Right now I have a 2.5 gallon tank with three plants inside: Anubias Nana, a Marimo moss ball (around 1.5 inches in diameter), and a Windelov Java Fern. Looking through my tank, I see that most of the gravel is between 8-13mm in terms of length or width. My tank is 6" x 12". Pictures if...
  7. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I've got a pretty low tech setup in a 36 gal with Anubias, Javas, Amazon Swords, Melon Sword, and a new Crypt. The thing is, way back when I didn't know what I was doing and used gravel substrate. I now get that my root feeders would be way better off with planted substrate, but I'm headed off...
  8. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Hello, new here at the forums! Is there a way to rinse gravel when there is a healthy population of MTS in it? I really don't want these snails getting out into Albertan ecosystems and ruin everything so I'm being extra careful about this. I usually throw the water from water changes to my...
  9. Algae
    Hi, My tank is a 12gallon long Mr. Aqua. No algae problems at the top, glass algae slight, but the gravel (using aquarium ADA soil with HC has started growing this think carpet light algae. The strands are very short, say 5mm in length, but they clump up together to form a think layer that...
  10. Missouri
    Ok, so I made a DIY CO2 system, works fine. I am going to aquascape a 20 gallon with 3 substrates and I was wondering if I should place the floramax down first everywhere, and completely bury it with gravel and sand. I was going to make a sand type river in the center of the tank to the front...
  11. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Let's assume there are four main substrate colors: white, black, grey (or black and white mixed), and brown. Which shrimp colors go best with each one?
  12. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I was thinking about setting up the Dwarf Lily in a small dirt tank and trimming any leaves that start growing towards the surface. Would this plant do fine if I just grew it on gravel though, or does it require a rich substrate? I've read that Banana plants grow into a much larger lily if...
  13. Substrate
    Hello everyone! I have a 75 gallon tank that I want to convert into a planted tank. Based on the general rule of 2 lbs of gravel/substrate per gallon of water, I'm aiming for about 80 lbs of substrate. I currently have about 60 lbs of white gravel in the tank. What I would like to do is add...
  14. Plants
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=42058&title=20131114_2011241c.jpg Hello everyone, real quick question. I recently got my first fish tank and my friend found a great anubias nana plant for pretty cheap. I don't know much about planting and have looked for some...
  15. Equipment
    Hello all, I'm a big fan of the DIY things and I didn't want to pay for the Python water changer, so I decided to build my own. Picture is below of my setup. I'm having trouble with it because it is not working lol. with both valves open, it is supposed to create a suction with the water...
  16. Substrate
    Hello All, I currently have a 10G tank that I'm using to grow plants (new to the plant part of this hobby). I used soil and then topped it off with play sand. I put Water wisteria in the tank and planted it. The roots grabbed hold fairly quickly and today when I up-rooted one, I ended up...
  17. Substrate
    Hello all, When I only had gravel in my 55G tank, I would clean the gravel during my water changes. I would let the water flow to a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. The problem is I can only gravel clean about 4 buckets worth because I don't want to do too big of a water change. I was wondering...
  18. Low Tech Forum
    OK my friends. It's time to weigh in on whether Sand or Gravel is a better top cap to MGOC Potting Mix. I like the look of Sand, with a handful of gravel strung across its surface. And sand is an excellent top cap, maybe to good. Does sand prevent organics and nutrients from returning back...
  19. Substrate
    Has anyone tried the CaribSea Instant Aquarium gravel/sand? I just ordered some from Petco since they only sell it online. Its a little more coarse than sand but a lot more fine than gravel. It also comes ready for fish. Your suppose to be able to just put it in and add water and fish. Ill...
1-19 of 41 Results