The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-17 of 31 Results
  1. Equipment
    I had previously used a small powerhead xilong 3W filter as a CO2 diffuser, with DIY CO2. Now I have set up pressurised CO2 setup in my 29gal tank, should I use a powerhead as a CO2 diffuser?
  2. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Still trying to diagnose algae problems that I've had forever. I'm wondering if my tank current is too low which is allowing organic particles to settle on plants and then lead to algae. Is this theory correct? Does increasing the flow rate reduce the problem (i.e. blow off particles on...
  3. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello there! I'm a recent adoptee of the hobby and new to the planted tank forums. I started with a 5g betta tank, upgraded to a 15g planted pea puffer jungle tank, and before long that itch to 'go big' - and I couldn't stop myself. And that's where I f*cked up.... so I need help from more...
  4. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I am emptying out my 100 gallon used to house my Arowana and converting it to a 100 gallon shrimp tank with carpet plants n stuff. I found most of my information online already but there are some that I wasn't able to find. The tank is 48"L x 20"H x 18"W with HOB filters. I plan on adding a...
  5. General Planted Tank Discussion
    [FONT="Verdana"]Hi, I'm struggling to find guidance on a few things; hope you can help. First, some specs: 44 gallon tank (about five weeks old) Injected CO2 (on a timer/solenoid) Eheim Cannister Filter 45 GPH Powerhead Aquascaped Lots of Wood & Plants (mostly stem) Light-to_medium Bio Load...
  6. Equipment
    When I finally decided that I needed to get a powerhead for my planted tank, first, I went through buying one that was too powerful. Then, I had trouble with my floating plants being sucked to the powerhead and getting their long trailing roots stuck in them. SO frustrating! I'm also thinking...
  7. Equipment
    Water flow too is strong, I'm planning on getting a Krib pulcher in the future and they like a steady/low flow. I need the power head to benefit my plants but there isn't a built in way in the fan to adjust it. What can I do to make the flow softer?
  8. Equipment
    Hey, sorry if this has been answered already I am having a hard time finding opinions so I wanted to start this thread. I have a SunSun 304B on my 75G. I am also running a small AquaClear 20 as well to keep the BB alive for a quarantine tank if necessary. I just started with CO2 injection and...
  9. DIY
    I'm having issues with mulm build-up and stringy algae in my 5.5g and I'm thinking the water flow is part of the problem. I have an Aquaclear 20 on it right now and just got an Azoo 180 nano powerhead. I would like to put the filter on the side of the tank, but my light legs take up too much...
  10. Equipment
    Okay, I have seen the diagrams about how sponge filters work with air pumps. And I have seen people say that it's possible to run a sponge filter using a powerhead. I saw a video on YouTube, but the powerhead they used had a bottom that snapped off and then they attached some adapters. Do you...
  11. DIY
    I have 4 powerheads in my 50 gallon tank that have sponges affixed to their intakes, and that filters the water mechanically and biologically. I've used sponges I found in the garage- from the 80's... Perfectly preserved. I tried using sponges from Home Depot, but the modern sponges...
  12. Low Tech Forum
    I'm setting up a 20G high tank, planted with all low light plants and some corys, nano shrimp, amano shrimp, snails and maybe a school of rasboras. I was initially considering an AquaClear HOB filtration system, however I was wondering will I need to run a powerhead with this? Can a powerhead...
  13. Equipment
    Hello all, I'm still setting up a 92G corner tank and am concerned about water flow. It'll be moderately planted with val, Amazon/Kleiner bar sword and crypts. Anyone have recommendations on a powerhead or circulation pump to prevent any dead spots? Or should I just aim the return hoses (from my...
  14. Planted Nano Tanks
    For a 65G tank, if I want to use a powerhead to distribute the nutrients to my HC carpet plants, should I go with the 425GPH or 900GPH if only these 2 sizes are available?
  15. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Guys, I'm thinking of doing undergravel for the next tank im setting up. Gonna be 15 gallons. My concern is too much suction which shortens the life of the substrate. I want a good 2-3 years before having to redo the whole tank entirely instead of just a year like I have read. If longer, even...
  16. Fish
    Hi All, I woke up this morning to my betta stuck in the intake of my powerhead (hydor pico evo-mag 180) and he is still alive, but shredded. He is currently sitting in a quarter gallon outside of the tank, still breathing but his chin is resting on the bottom. His fins are pretty shredded, but...
  17. General Planted Tank Discussion
    As a preface, I've researched the absolute hell out of solutions for this, and just can't figure out where to go from here. Need some advice :icon_mrgr So, one of the last times I went to the LFS, I was conned into taking home a large bagful of duckweed for my 55g. I'd always heard good things...
1-17 of 31 Results