The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 53 Results
  1. Substrate
    Hey all, I'm thinking of a year or so down the line and was curious how I would go about swapping out existing Amazonia v2 substrate for new Amazonia v2 substrate. The ammonia spike when adding the soil initially was worse than I expected so when I consider changing that out down the road, what...
  2. Substrate
    Hi everyone ~ question here. I made a soil substrate with mostly top soil, peat moss, and compost. I sprinkled in some worm castings and handful or so of epsom. I also added a bit of diatomaceous earth and a tiny sprinkling of plant food. I capped it off with 2 inches of black sand. Then, I...
  3. Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium
    Hi everyone, I am quite new here and I am doing as much research as possible but I cannot find a definitive answer to my current issue. I am building a paludarium which will have about 40L (10 gal) water area. My primary focus is on different plants. I may add some fish, shrimps, isopods etc...
  4. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Yesterday, I finally finished my 3 day test for cycling a 30-gallon tank for an axolotl. I have been cycling for nearly 4 months. I had been using a heater to encourage bacteria growth during a fishless cycle. Last night, I removed the heater (abruptly) and then did a 50% water change. What I...
  5. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hello! I'm Eva from the Netherlands and new to this forum. I have a question about nutrients and ammonia while cycling my tank. It's a 84L (I think 22g?) tank with a fluval 3.0 but no CO2. I am familiar with the nitrogen cycle but since I am cycling fishless I wonder if I need to add a small...
  6. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    So soo..excited to be a part of the PlantedTank. Dunno if I'm allowed to post my questions here. Mods, please excuse if so. I switched to a low tech tank last week 3rd Oct. I used the same filter media and rocks, presuming they have already been colonised. Introduced the fishes after 30hrs...
  7. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi guys, just moved into the city and dealing with something I've never had to before, chloramine. I picked up a bottle of API tap water conditioner, but now see mentions that it leaves behind the ammonia in a toxic form. Is this true? Checked with my kit and there is over 2ppm of ammonia, but...
  8. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi, I have a heavily planted tank with aquasoil ( tropica ) that I launched in dry start method 2 months and a half ago. I flooded the tank 2-3weeks ago. Everything is going well, my plants are fine. But I need to cycle the tank, and when I test nh4, its always at 0, same for nitrites and...
  9. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Is there any such thing as a dechlorinator that can remove chlorine and choramine without fixing ammonia or nitrites? I don't like that if I add Seachem Prime to my water, I cannot see how much ammonia my ADA Tropica soil is releasing (ammonia test reads 0 ppm). My tank is new (just a month...
  10. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hiya. I set up a 15 gallon tank around 40 days ago and did a fish in cycle (my partner came home one day with a Betta in a cup). I planted heavily with mostly foreground plants, carried out regular water changes (usually 25% or more daily), and tested my water daily. I saw my ammonia levels...
  11. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hey all, Does anyone know the timeline of the nitrogen cycle in an established tank? I have a fully, recently cycled Fluval Spec V, and was curious how long beneficial bacteria takes to convert ammonia to nitrite, and then from nitrite to nitrate. Can't seem to find any answers anywhere. I'm...
  12. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hey i have startet for 1 week ago, a Fishless Cycle with Fish Food, and have gotten my ammonia up to 3, now today i got my first nitrit Reading 0,6 nitrit, but my ammonia is going down to 1,5, do i when have to put more fish food then before, so its getting up to 3 ammonia again?
  13. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I have a 90 gallon fresh water tank, moderately planted and moderately stocked with fish. Eheim canister filter, full back wall air bubbler and now a standard DIY CO2 generator setup. It's been up about 2 months. Everything was fine until we had a meltdown that we believe was caused by a...
  14. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi, I’m starting my first planted tank with Controsoil. My question has to do with the Nitrogen cycle. Controsoil says it has low ammonia release. I have tested at 1ppm for the last three days and have been dosing seachem stability as per the instruction on the bottle. Is the 1ppm ammonia leach...
  15. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hi, long time reader first time poster. I have recently flooded my 3.7 gallon nano tank, after scrapping my attempt with the DSM when mold started to form. The trouble is that all my plants are dying, which I attribute to the ammonia spike which seems uncontrollable (8+ ppm) with high nitrates...
  16. Plants
    I just set up a 5 gallon densely planted tank a week ago. i sprinkled in some fish flakes the first day i set it up, and now am reading that there is between 2.0-4.0 ppm of ammonia. How long do I need to wait before my plants absorb the bad water chemistry? (I do not have any fish in the tank...
  17. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi everyone. Recently I set up a heavily planted Fluval Spec V 5 gallon nano tank, full of multiple java ferns, the beginning of a dwarf mini hairgrass carpet, anubias, and crypt wentii; all planted in fluval stratum (no fish or inverts in the tank as of right now). I dose the tank with the...
  18. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi everyone. Recently I set up a heavily planted Fluval Spec V 5 gallon nano tank, full of multiple java ferns, the beginning of a dwarf mini hairgrass carpet, anubias, and crypt wentii; all planted in fluval stratum (no fish or inverts in the tank as of right now). I dose the tank with the...
  19. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi all, I recently did a total do-over with my 10 gallon tank. I decided to go with the low light/low tech option with tons of plants. I took out my old substrate and left a few handfulls to hopefully cycle the tank faster with some pre-existing BB (My old tank had been set up for a couple...
  20. Low Tech Forum
    Hello everyone, I'm still somewhat new to all this and this forum. I started a brand new 55 gallon tank almost 3 weeks ago (Setup on 1/16/2017) using the Walstad method (No Co2, No Ferts, Nothing). Here is what I did and what plants, fish I have in it - Also please see attached pics links...
1-20 of 53 Results