The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-18 of 21 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    My aquarium background is with vivariums and faux-hardscaped tropical nano tanks, but it's been 10 years. I have a six year old boy and he has been asking for a "real aquarium" - he means planted. So... we are now the owners of a refurbished (by me) 45-gallon Fluval Bowfront tank and a 10 gallon...
  2. Plants
    I have read that micro sword / copragrass (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) prefers to have a softer substrate. If I use Eco-Complete Coarse will it still carpet the tank or will it not do as well because of the rock? Lighting is a 2 bulb T5 HO light with a 24w Flora Sun Max Plant Growth bulb and a...
  3. Substrate
    Hi all, First post here, all the way from New Zealand :D I am thinking of swapping out my current sand substrate for Caribsea Eco-Complete to help out my plants after reading many good reviews. Even with root tabs and liquid fertiliser they just aren't developing well in the sand and their...
  4. Substrate
    Using Eco-complete in a 55 gallon tank. Pretty lightly stocked, 3 guppies, 2 otos, 7 harlequin Rasboras. Fairly lightly planted as well with 3 smaller crypts, three clumps of giant hair grass (to add some early height), 4 smaller Amazon swords, 1 red melon sword Never had detectable ammonia or...
  5. Substrate
    Been reading too many posts and forums very late into night, I find myself with a few things -- First let me describe the substrate in my 150 gal tall non-CO2 tank. Lighting is from a double bright reef 300 W LED strip. From bottom to top: 1. Laterite - 144 oz 2. Azolite - 5 lb 3. Small fired...
  6. Substrate
    Hi, My Eco-Complete is too dirty. I cannot really clean it it planted tank, I need to remove everything that I don't want to do. Can I use Malaysian Trumpet Snail to clean the substrate? They won't affect the bioload much by multiplication of itself? Thanks
  7. Tank Journals
    Finally decided to take the leap and do a planted tank with the 60P. It has always been my wife's goal to make a planted tank with an anubia tree. Using our existing stock of anubias nana petite + some anubias a friend donated, we went for it. We still have a long ways to go, but its a work...
  8. Tank Journals
    So I've had both Eco-Complete and ActivFlora in a multitude of tanks. Lately I've been leaning more towards Activ-Flora and really want to put both to the test. Here we go: Both substrates I took straight out of the bag (huray for left overs). Pulled a run of glosso from one of my tanks. Cut...
  9. Substrate
    It seems every time I go into the substrate section I always see "Eco-Complete good for.....?" or "Should I go with Eco-Complete or .......". So here sparks the debate! I don't know if it's just me and I have found the holy grail or if people don't know about this stuff but no one ever mentions...
  10. Tank Journals
    Back in July I posted this thread asking for some advice about how I should approach resetting this tank, which led to some very helpful discussion. I started the process of aquascaping the tank this weekend and I wanted to share my current progress and get some feedback. I am using a...
  11. Substrate
    So i have MGOPM capped with eco complete in a smaller tank. The plants seem to love it how ever it can be extremely messy (when you dump water in to fast.. or re-arrange plants. How big of a boost is actually adding the MGOPM under the eco-complete? Does it mainly just save you adding root...
  12. Substrate
    I've been reading and reading on the different substrates and I have a good idea of the basic pros and cons, but I cannot for the life of me decide which to go with. I'd love to hear anyone's input and experience. Here is my plan and equipment: 40g breeder Eheim 2217 with in-line Hydor heater...
  13. Substrate
    Hi All, I am starting up a 36 Gallon tank. I have 2 twenty pound bags of eco-complete and 15lbs of petco black sand. Has anyone worked with this combo before? Will the addition of the sand give enough weight to hold down stemmed plants? THANKS!
  14. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello, I'm new to the planted tank forum and I just started growing a dwarf hairgrass in my new 10 gallon aquarium and a friend of mine explained to me how to grow this but I'm still a bit confused on how to do it, so I was hoping if someone here on the forum could guide me in the right...
  15. Substrate
    I am planing to start 55 GAL Fresh water Planted Aquarium and I can really use this community members help in finishing my project. I am planning to purchase CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate 20 lb bags Please suggest howmuch do I need for my 55 Gal (48x13x21). Do I need...
  16. Substrate
    hi i want to add eco-complete to replace my play sand substrate in a planted tank. the tanks 29 gallons so is 2 bags enough? also is could i just dump it in with the water still in the tank? the tanks already got plants, 9 neon tetras, 2 otocinclus, and a pearl gourami so i dont think i want to...
  17. Planted Nano Tanks
    So the canvas is blank, and i have a vague idea. I want a red cherry shrimp breeding ground. and pretty plants without high maintenance root systems (plants that spread by runners). Right now i have a few scrap stalks of wisteria planted, just to get some growth before i finalize the plan. And...
  18. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi all. Long time viewer, first time poster, here. I have a 90 gallon tank that has several anubias, java ferns and two marble swords with a substrate is small 2-4mm river pebble. It is stocked with angelfish, corys and clown loaches. I am adding some dwarf sag and some narrowleaf microswords...
1-18 of 21 Results