The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 24 Results
  1. Substrate
    I started this tank around 10 days - 2 weeks ago. First time I've tried using potting soil as the base substrate. I added about an inch of soil, then covered it by an inch or so of pool filter sand with some gravel mixed into the very top layer of that sand. The sand and gravel were washed...
  2. Plants
    Just starting a new 5g Walstad tank (see photo for reference) - I did the dry start method with some Glossostigma Elatinoides and it seems to have started out ok. I recently added some Rotala Nanjenshan and they haven't looked well from the start. Does anyone have any experience with this...
  3. Algae
    Hi All, so I'm plagued with an issue I've never run across in my time of aquariums. I have a tank that is quite well established, was set-up around September last year (DSM, which I had to cut short due to fungus/mould). I had a auto dosing pump for EI which failed when I was on holidays and...
  4. Algae
    1 week ago I set up a 45 hex tank using Seachem Flourite sub, Light is 15W Power-Glo bulb. 4 days ago I added a few plants and a DIY yeast co2 set up. 2 days ago i added a guppy and 3 red eye tetras. As you can see the water is still cloudy (I did a 25% water change yesterday and today water...
  5. Low Tech Forum
    I started a 32 gallon planted tank recently. I've had substrate and water in it for 2 weeks now. Substrate: organic soil capped with eco complete. I planted it about a week ago and the water is just as cloudy as day 1. I poured the water from the eco complete bag out before adding to tank. There...
  6. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I have a 20 gallon long tank at work that I have had a persistent (several months) clouding problem with. I do approximately 70% water changes on a (usually) weekly basis - when I pour the old water out into a porcelain white sink it has a slight green tinge to it. This initially clears the...
  7. Substrate
    Hi all, I have just added Seachem fluorite to my 35gallon established aquarium because the roots were sticking out of the sand. I added it this morning by rinsing it then placing it in a mason jar and pouring it into the tank, about 1 inch from the surface of the sand. I thought this would...
  8. New Member Introductions
    when i put 3 gallons of new water into my small community 15g tank, many particles arise among the water. they sink/disappear quite quickly, although the fact it occurs worries me. am i putting the water into the tank too harshly? is my filter not performing adequately? thanks!
  9. General Planted Tank Discussion
    G'day, Last Sunday I emptied my tank into a bucket, fish and all, then replaced my substrate. It was river sand capped with 3mm pebbles, I changed it to 1 part peat moss, 3 parts laterite and capped with the old river sand I had removed. I then filled and vacuumed the tank dry 4 times...
  10. Substrate
    I am just setting up my first planted tank and bought the Fluval Flora kit. This is what my tank looked like after filling having rinsed the Fluval Stratum! Three days later it's settled a bit but any disturbance picks up a lot of dust. The filter is also making an awful whirring noise. I'm...
  11. Low Tech Forum
    Apologies for the wall of text. I just wanted to be thorough. Ok, so I am SOMEWHAT new to fishkeeping. A friend gave me an established tank years ago which I never had any problems with. I've since moved to a new continent and I don't know any fishy people here so I have nobody to ask, and...
  12. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    We just bought a used 110 gallon fresh water tank, we got it home and set it up about 2 weeks ago. We are using the bio wheels from my husbands tank, One 90 gallon filter, one 50 gallon filter, I put brand new white sand (after rinsing it of course) I used some of the old water (maybe two...
  13. General Planted Tank Discussion
    A combination of messy mistakes has made the water in my 10g completely cloudy. Problem is I can't seem to clear it. Here's what I've done: - daily 50-80% water changes - multiple deep gravel vacuums - temporarily put in a more powerful filter than is typically in that tank - dredged the...
  14. Substrate
    Just started our new tank about a month ago, went from Flourite to Silica. This is "number 2" grain on a scale of 0-4. The look is great, and it cleans very well, but it clouds up the water very easily. I just did a re-scape and stirred the substrate quite a bit, I need a way to remove the...
  15. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I have a 75gal, medium planted tank. The substrate is fine gravel mixed with Seachem Flourite. I do inject DIY CO2. Lights above the tank are staggered with two 54W (10K and 12K) being on for 8 hours and two 6700K being on for 4 hours. Plants include Jungle Vals, Amazon Sword, Apongeton...
  16. Substrate
    Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at a planted aquarium. It seems I have jumped into this before actually being intellectually ready. Now I'm on the internet looking for answers. This community looks amazing. I plan to stick around. I have a 29 gallon and Eheim classic 250 canister...
  17. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I have a 29g planted tank that currently has very cloudy water and it's getting worse. I didn't think it was green cloudy but it could possibly be starting to look slightly green. There also seems to be a large amount of particles floating around the water (I repositioned my intake to be out...
  18. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I have a 90 gallon with 35 gallon sump. 4 x 55 HO T5 bulbs on 8 hours a day. Substrate is 3 layers, fluorite, organic miracle grow, black SMS. CO2 is injected through an stone in the sump. The sump has that shredded PVC stuff, heater, and pump in it. Does with 30ml of excel and 30 ml of...
  19. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I've got a new 35 gallon tank planted with Vals, Sagittaria, and 2 types of Swords. The plants died back during tank cycling and it took about a month for this to stop and get to 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite. It was capable of cycling a teaspoon of Ammonia over night. I understand tanks well but this...
1-19 of 24 Results