The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 115 Results
  1. Fish
    Hello all! I am new here. I would like some opinions and suggestions about a tight schooling nano fish for a 40 gallon tank. I had a lightly planted 20 gallon which I upgraded to a 40 after my last giant danio passed at almost 8 years old, cycled the water, and transferred driftwood and plants...
  2. Substrate
    Just tried my luck with dirted planted tank fir the first time. Setup and first fill went easier than expected. Now I am seeing a dirt colored mucus like substance in top of the sand cap. Just want make sure its something expected.. Or should I be doing something now keep it from going south...
  3. Plants
    Hello everyone, I have a new low tech aquarium (Fluval Edge 12g), only three weeks old. I go with low light (8h/day) and without CO2. Observing nutrient deficiencies on few plants where others seems fine to me. I am a bit confused if my water lacks NPK and micro elements due to varying health...
  4. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    New to the fish keeping hobby, so please forgive me for the mistakes I have made, the ones I will continue to make, and anything I ask that makes me sound like the completely inexperienced hobbyist that I am. We started with a 10 gallon community tank about a year ago with a dwarf gourami, 4...
  5. Tank Journals
    Waterbox clear mini 30 30 gallons All dragon stone and easy plants Low tech tank, no co2 Fluval plant 3.0 light Going to put a oase filtosmart 100 canister filter on, just bought the wrong size lilly pipes so waiting for the new ones to come in, just have a hang on back on for now Mostly...
  6. Algae
    This 8.8g has been a dry start tank for 11 weeks. The moss took 4 weeks to take hold as a dry start. It has been flooded for a week now. No fish or inverts yet. Fluval 3.0 Plant Light - now reducing from 8 hours to 7 Drop checker was reading 30-40ppm, reducing to aim closer to 30 or just...
  7. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi there! Hope everyone is safe, sane and well in these crazy times. I've just bought my first aquarium in years and I'm super excited to get cracking now - my husband and I have decided on fancy goldfish instead of tropical this time. I'm planning on doing a planted aquarium (have researched...
  8. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi all, I’m setting up my waterbox PM 15 as a planted freshwater tank. It will be co2 injected with a fluval plant nano as my light. I plan to dry start the Monte Carlo. Plant stock: (subject to change rough outline) 2x AR Mini Monte Carlo carpet 2x S.repens Christmas moss Anubias Still...
  9. Substrate
    Looking to get some feedback on a planned rescape of my 25 gallon tank. I'm looking for a good alternative to Tropica Aquasoil. It would be my go to substrate, save for the fact I'd need so much of it and it goes for almost $60 / bag at the local store (Western Canada). As such, I'm looking for...
  10. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Hi - just got some blue cherry shrimp from LFS. Tested the water, the levels were very similar to mine (they're less than a mile away). I drip acclimated for an hour and a half, then put them in. They were swimming some upside down here and there, and now they're all piled on top of each other...
  11. Algae
    TL;DR I can usually manage algae with EI and CO2 but this mystery brown fluff has the upper hand. How do I kill it before it smothers my MC, without killing the shrimp? I posted another thread asking about hair algae in my tank but it doesn't look or act like normal hair algae. I've been...
  12. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello everyone ! I set up a ''regular'' fish tank recently and added three fish at the beginning of the month. Unfortunately, I did not cycle it correctly (too many water changes according to an employee at the local fish store) and they all died within three weeks. In an attempt to save the...
  13. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi All, I couldn't find an answer to my specific situation regarding the nitrogen cycle anywhere, so I figured I'd bring it up here. I have a brand new tank that I've been trying to cycle since January 1st. In March, I saw that the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels all dropped to zero. I was...
  14. Plants
    Just starting a new 5g Walstad tank (see photo for reference) - I did the dry start method with some Glossostigma Elatinoides and it seems to have started out ok. I recently added some Rotala Nanjenshan and they haven't looked well from the start. Does anyone have any experience with this...
  15. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hello all, I have had a bit of a break from keeping fish and recently set up a 15g Fluval Flex planted aquarium. I set the tank up and added the live plants on 15th Jan and have been testing and today, I am measuring nitrates, it seems too early in the cycle but I'm wondering if this could be...
  16. New Member Introductions
    Hi Everyone, I have had freshwater aquariums of all sizes since my first 20 gallon guppy tank as a kid to a 29-gallon female betta sorority tank 5 years ago. The tank was a success (I ordered fancy females from a online resource) and all went fairly well. I even had a YouTube channel going...
  17. Tank Journals
    Current Photo (3/14/20) Introduction: Hello and welcome everyone. I'm very excited to be starting my aquarium. I've started this journal as a resource to view my tanks progression over time. Background: I'm almost brand new to the fish keeping hobby. This is my first tank and it's been up...
  18. Equipment
    Hi Friends, Been reading articles for sometime and all your advice has helped so much. So im hoping you can help with my new tank build! Quick history; have had fish tanks as long as i can remember and explored all avenues including reef, cichlid, pirahnas and planted. Moved To Australia...
  19. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    I just bought 10 juvenile shrimp from a local guy and i was just wondering if it is normal for juveniles to molt this early after being put in a new tank. Or is it just his dead body? do fish only eat the meat or do they eat the shell as well?
  20. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hi there, I am super new, and despite my best efforts all attempts to buy the Planted Tank Guide have left me eternally loading on the paypal page. I was hoping to get some advice on starting my tank. I had a tank when I was a kid, and I really didn't have the resources/know-how to keep the...
1-20 of 115 Results