The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 41 Results
  1. Algae
    I am a newbie. This is regarding my very first planted tank - or the very first tank for that matter. I have this aquarium which is on a dry start for about 5 weeks now. I have a Monte Carlo carpet, nile sand, some driftwoods and a seiryu rock. I have a light going on for 12 hours each day. and...
  2. Plants
    Hi all, First post here so sorry if I'm missing crucial details. Thinking about doing a dry start with dwarf hairgrass in my 28 gallon tank. I'm planning on using 1" of organic potting soil under 1" of Quikrete play sand as the substrate. Just wanted to know if The sand I'm using is too fine...
  3. Low Tech Forum
    This is my first time working with monte carlo and pretty scared of how it will go. I am trying to grow monte carlo and hair grass with the dry start method with the Walstad approach. Substrate : potting mix + 1 cup red soil + 2 cup compost + black sand capping plants: dwarf hair grass TC and...
  4. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I just flooded my 5 gallon dry start, but im wondering how much co2 i should start putting into it, i havent added fish or anything yet as i want to get a good start on the plants before getting started on everything my monte carlo has quite a bit of melt going right now, Is there such a thing...
  5. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi Guys, I just started my tank yesterday using the dry start method and i just have some few questions. 1. Is it okay if im using an airline tubing with an aerator to put air inside the tank? 2. Do i have to leave an opening in the lid? 3. Can i use dsm in sand substrate as well? 4. Is there...
  6. Plants
    This is my first planted tank (10gal, will eventually put shrimp in it). Normally I’m no green thumb but I figured I’d try my hand at the dry start method. In general I am pretty bad at keeping plants alive so I would greatly appreciate some pointers. Yesterday I bought a S. repens tissue...
  7. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I've got a 20 gallon and I'm going to make it high tech (this is my first time). I want to dry start some Monte Carlo, S. Repens, and Hygrophila Pinnatifida (amount in that order), but I'm also worried about algae popping up, so I'm torn on whether to dry start or cycle first. Can they be done...
  8. Planted Nano Tanks
    hey there, this will be my first time to learn setting up a tank with dry start method with classic iwagumi theme on mind.. i'm planning to use either amazonia (likely ver 2) with monte carlo and maybe two or three small clumps of dwarf hairgrass to gave accent near the hardscape. couple of...
  9. Aquascaping
    Day 1: Day 12: I am currently in roughly week 2 of my DSM. The HC (dwarf baby tears) have taken exceptional hold and growth so far, as well as the S. repens. I would like to use the yogurt + moss DSM on my spider wood, but I have been battling white mold growth on it since almost day 1...
  10. Planted Nano Tanks
    First Thread guys!! So excited to join the community. I recently scaped a glass 2.5 gallon tank measuring 10L X 6W X8H. I bought an Azoo 60 filter and a Finnex Stingray clip on light (white, blue, and red,) and I plan to run DIY co2 diverting off of the main system I use on my planted leader...
  11. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hi, All - Been ghosting the Forum, finally had a question of my own. :) After tearing down my last successful planted nano, I'm looking to start anew. Will be very simple high tech nano. End Goal: dwarf hairgrass carpet, bonsai with either marimo or xmas moss, shrimp, endlers & embers. Here...
  12. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hello! I'm new here and I’m starting a new tank with my Waterbox 10, and trying out an aquascape with a Bonsai Driftwood I got a hold of. This would be my first proper aquascaped tank and I’m giving the dry start method a go for my Monte Carlo carpet. I’m mainly doing the dry-start so that when...
  13. Plants
    Hi everyone, I have started a new tank setup with DSM method the pictures of which are attached to this post. I am using a low maintenance method that takes advantage of adding moist air into the tank from a external air pump. Air pump shoots air into a sealed bottle of water that ultimately...
  14. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi, Sorry if there is no introduction but this is an urgent request I have setup a Dry Start Method with a Humidifier for roughly 1 month. Today I've decided to add a bonsai hard scape with weeping moss. I've used cyanoacrylate glue to attach the moss onto the bonsai wood. After glueing, i...
  15. Plants
    Ive tried to grow monte carlo submerged before and it has died every time, so this time I've decided to grow it in with the dry start method and it seems to be going good, but I'm concerned it will all die once I fill the tank. Is this something to be worried about, and if so is there anything I...
  16. Algae
    Does anyone know what this spider-web substance is that's in my aquascape? It's started to show up in the middle of the tank. I'm just past week 3 of my DSM Iwagumi -- and from what I've read I should put 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water. I sprayed that on the problem areas yesterday...
  17. Plants
    Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the "ebb and flow" method for dry start? What was your experience? I can only find a few brief posts on it and I would like to know more. I'm interested in trying it out. I'm currently doing a dry start...
  18. Plants
    Howdy! I have been dry-starting some dwarf hairgrass for several weeks now (about 2 months), but I noticed that it has algae growing as well. I'm not sure if I just have to toss all of it, or if there is a way I can save it for the tank I'm planning on setting up this weekend? I am not sure of...
  19. Low Tech Forum
    Good afternoon all, In my 20 gallon with gravel and Osmocote Plus as a fert I start a DSM tank with hydro sp japan. This plant spread so quickly and I have flooded the tank and started my fishless cycle. I was wondering if anyone had tips to keep this plant alive and green. I have read some...
1-20 of 41 Results