The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 120 Results
  1. Substrate
    What substrate do you prefer from an aesthetic standpoint only? Sand or aquasoil? I prefer sand but I’m bothered by the green/brown stain that appears at the front of the tank after a few months. I don’t mind that it’s happening except for when it’s at the front and that’s all I notice when I...
  2. Tank Journals
    This tank has been in storage for awhile after I took down my first concerted effort at a dynamic scape. I salvaged the structure I built for it and used it in my 10 gallon tank about 2 years ago. It had been slated for use as a quarantine tank, but I haven't had much to quarantine in the last 2...
  3. Tank Journals
    I have lived in the same basement suite for 7 years and we are now in a position to rent the entire house. We will be moving into the upstairs suite and increasing our living space by about 500 square feet. Which of course means I can finally upgrade from 3 nano tanks to a more substantial one...
  4. Aquascaping
    I have an 11 gallon nano which used to have sand but the Monte Carlo took over and and I ended up putting fluval stratum everywhere. It looks nice but I also want a sand section. I will be getting a 16 gallon soon and want to re create the scape, sort of. I’ll change some things with the hard...
  5. Substrate
    Hi! I'm trying to decide what substrate to use for my new 80L (20g) aquarium. I'm planning to have seacham flourite (3-7mm) in the bottom/back of the aquarium to make some room for bacteria and get a bit if CEC. And then I'm thinking about having a finer inert gravel (1-2mm) in the front, for...
  6. Substrate
    Hi all, sorry if a similar question has been posted. I have a low tech tank that is very self sufficient (inhabitants survive without a very routine cleaning schedule). This tank has mostly sand substrate. While I don't have many tank inhabitants, I find I get a LOT of mulm on the sand. The...
  7. Low Tech Forum
    https://imgur.com/a/QBtqtks I am going to take some of the plants out of this tank and put it into my 50 gal that I'm setting up here, I do however have a few questions. I tried my best to get the soil even, and I used a under how much soil I am 'supposed' to use, that isn't my concern...
  8. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello! I am new to live plants (I hadn't added them in my tank yet) and sand when it comes to aquariums. Today, I bought an Aqueon 10 gal starter kit with a Quiet Flow filter which is a hang on the back. https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-led-pro-aquarium-power-filters...
  9. Substrate
    As the title says, a very quick question: I have some CaribSea Super Naturals sand in my tank currently; it's been in for at least 7 years with no issues, but I'd like to make it a little deeper, especially in one back corner. Would there be any issues you can foresee with just adding more...
  10. Tank Journals
    I have just swapped a 10 for a 29. Its not so much a jungle yet, as it is a trimmed yard. All the plants were in my 10, after some pruning and culling to get rid of algae-ridden leaves. My lights are coming tomorrow, in the meantime I'm using my garden seedling T5 HO. Heater is coming in 2...
  11. Substrate
    I'm not very happy with the substrate I have in my planted tank at the moment. It is flourite mixed with sand on top. I was attempting to make my Aquarium a Congo biotope but I have not so far been successful and the flourite has risen to the top of the substrate in many places as I believe it...
  12. Substrate
    Hi guys a few years ago I had a tank with Fluval Stratum as the only substrate but unfortunately that substrate is too expensive to be used as the only substrate in a middle size tank (75 gallons) and also I had problems with plants that were hard to get into the substrate (they floated). Then...
  13. Substrate
    Hello, I have a bag of ADA Amazonia Aquasoil 9kg and just bought a 20kg box of Pisces New Zealand Iron Sand. I am thinking about mixing them both in a completely new cube tank. First i'd like to know, it is ok for me to mix both of them? the amazonia seems to be a bit more thick grain...
  14. Substrate
    Here are my concerns regarding choosing a capping sand. 1) The black gravel is 5 mm average size . Diana in her book recommends 2-3 mm and advises against anything more than this as it causes the dirt to accumulate in the gaps and anaerobic. 2) The white sands are of the right dimensions ...
  15. Substrate
    Greetings All. I am new here and have been researching substrate for my future planted aquarium. It is a 125g and will be filled with tropical fish such as cardinals, rams, platy's etc. I would really like a white sand substrate but the Planted substrate I have found so far (Eco complete...
  16. Substrate
    I have a 55g tank with a play sand substrate that is the bane of my existence. There are three featherfin catfish in there and they love rolling around in it and wallowing it out like little pigs. This is annoying, but the bigger issue is there is sand everywhere, literally everywhere. All my...
  17. Aquascaping
    Hi, I am planning to build a waterfall sand aquarium but I am stuck with the size of sand. I want to get a sand where it doesn't make the aquarium cloudy and the air pump will push the sand up. I have been looking at eBay to get a quartz sand but I am stuck with the size. The medium size is...
  18. DIY
    Hi all! This is my first post and i wanted to share some videos about my aquarium. I have built a sand waterfall using a powerhead instead of using the aerator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTdMJxcB5NI Please view the video and let me know what you think? Also feel free to ask me any...
  19. Equipment
    Ive noticed today that there seems to be sand at the bottom/tip of my heater. Theres also condensation near the top. Its fully submerged and came with the tank secondhand, i dont know how old it is. Its maintaining heat fine and been in constant use for about two weeks.
  20. Substrate
    I was wondering if I could have like a 1 inch bottom layer of ecocomplete with like maybe a 1.5 or 2 inch layer of sand on top of it to grow dwarf hairgrass. I know that the sand will eventually go under, but I'm looking to have the dwarf hairgrass stay in the substrate. Will this be fine or...
1-20 of 120 Results