The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-17 of 18 Results
  1. Substrate
    Hi all, Im going to try a dirt tank for a new project. I have some organic topsoil on the way. I have Tetra ActiveSubstrate (a clay) and play sand. Should i mix some of this clay and sand into the top soil (if its quite dence - wont know until i get it) or just put the dirt down, then the...
  2. Substrate
    Just tried my luck with dirted planted tank fir the first time. Setup and first fill went easier than expected. Now I am seeing a dirt colored mucus like substance in top of the sand cap. Just want make sure its something expected.. Or should I be doing something now keep it from going south...
  3. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hey y'all! Haven't been here in a year, but I did spend that year experimenting and learning through my own experiences. Just wanted to share one of my greatest successes, a maintenance-free (kind of a broad statement) 10 gallon tank. It sports 2x 6500k 23watt CFL bulbs, your run of the mill...
  4. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hey all, I just set up my first dirted (2.5 gal) tank last night in prep for a betta (not bought yet). I want to silent cycle but I want to be sure I have enough plants to realistically achieve that. I haven't done a water test yet because I finished setting the tank up at 3am last night and had...
  5. Substrate
    I am really on the fence about dirting my 38 gallon. I want to try and see what happens but i've heard of some problems with algae and other issues. I have a single florescent light that has grown crypts, vals, and swords pretty great over the last year with only some root tabs. If I dirt my...
  6. Low Tech Forum
    Tank: Bow front 36 gallons, 30” long x 18” wide x 22” tall Kit here Media: 1-1.5” of Miracle Grow Organic gardening mix; 2-3” Black Diamond Blasting Sand Medium coarseness 20-40 Plants: Staurogyne repens for carpet; had wanted Hemianthus callitrichoides but couldn’t find any; no idea about mid...
  7. New Member Introductions
    I am new to this site, but have kept tanks for most of my life. As a kid I had neons, frogs, and guppies as most kids do in a 5 gallon octigonal plastic tank. I now have a 55 Gallon and a 125H Gallon. I have had the 55 for about 18 years and it has seen many a fish/location. I am military and...
  8. Tank Journals
    I got this tank from my in-laws over Christmas. It was destined for the dump, so I rescued it. I have been looking at tanks and really enjoying getting back into the hobby, so I decided that I would have a go at setting up a dirted tank. There are some amazing scapes that have been achieved...
  9. Tank Journals
    I got a used 30 gallon (30"x12"x18"tall) from my in-laws this holiday season and I want to set this up as a planted tank on the cheap. Right now as it sits, the hood that it came with does not fit and is all corroded. Right now before I do anything else, I am going to make a new hood and...
  10. Tank Journals
    NEW JOURNAL: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7946226 This setup lost to BBA so I took an opportunity to redo the entire thing. ***I will be updating this first post with my progress / all the pictures*** Most Recent Pic: 10/1/2014 This is my first attempt at a real...
  11. Tank Journals
    Hi, i just got back into the hobby and i decided to start with a 55gal dirted planted tank. setup/equipment: 55gal standard built aquarium odyssey 4x54watt HO T5 lights w/timer fluval submersible heater cheap HOB filter rated for up to 75gal tanks Aqueon circulation pump DIY Co2 (1-2 bubbles a...
  12. Substrate
    Hello, everyone. I am going to be starting a planted tank soon and I will be using MGOCPM with a sand cap for substrate and will be using the DSM to establish a carpet. I have read all of the recent posts on mineralizing MGOCPM and why you should or should not do it. The answers are all very...
  13. General Planted Tank Discussion
    So as the title says, I'm attempting my first dirted tank, and I'm having some problems. I've been fishless cycling tanks for 10 years or so, and this is the first time I've ever had a serious snag. After a month of fishless cycling and seeing almost minimal ammonia, nitrite and no nitrate, I...
  14. Planted Nano Tanks
    Update 3-1-13 Update 11-15-12 Update 9-27-13 Decided to tear down my Petco 6gallon bookshelf and picked up an Aqueon Evolve 8 for my office. Also, decided to do my 1st dirt tank :proud: I used about 1" of Miracle Gro Organic potting soil and 1 1/2" of petco black sand. Plants are...
  15. Tank Journals
    After keeping discus for a year in my 29 gallon fish tank, I decided it was time to upgrade to my dream tank, a 72 gallon bow front! I really wanted to do the who planted tank thing right this time as to make it look like one of those beautiful aquascapes you see in youtube videos. I finally...
  16. Planted Nano Tanks
    So I managed to snag a little 2.5g tank for under 10$ and wanted to try my hand at one of the fancy minimal maintenance dirt tanks I've seen kicking around the forums. I tried to follow the Walstad instructions to a T, but I can't help but feel that I must have done something wrong. I'll...
  17. Low Tech Forum
    Setting up a 10g dirt tank with 2" compost from the middle of a leaf and stick pile. I have 1 1/2" sand ontop of the compost, didn't add water yet. Wanted to know if thats to much sand or not? I don't have alot of plants to put in it yet but I'm putting Java Fern (Windelov) along with another...
1-17 of 18 Results