The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 86 Results
  1. Algae
    Hello everyone, I hoped I could introduce myself in a different way, but it will be by asking for your help. I started my first high-tech tank around 1 month ago and around the 2nd-3rd week I got some algae. I assumed them to be diatoms and thought they would go away after cycling, but that has...
  2. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    So I'm in the process of cycling right now, no fish, and a dose of 2ppm gets processed after 24 hours. My problem is that I haven't been keeping an eye on nitrite, so now my nitrite is so high, I've done 2 50% water change now and it still reads between 2 to 5ppm. I'm assuming that it's way more...
  3. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I'm 2 weeks into a fishless cycle and haven't seen any nitrites yet on my API test kit--wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've been dosing with Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and keeping my ammonia levels around 5 ppm. My tank's pH is between 7.4-7.8 and the temp in my apartment is around...
  4. Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium
    Hi everyone, I am quite new here and I am doing as much research as possible but I cannot find a definitive answer to my current issue. I am building a paludarium which will have about 40L (10 gal) water area. My primary focus is on different plants. I may add some fish, shrimps, isopods etc...
  5. Tank Journals
    Just setup a 40g tank. Amano soil with a sand topping. Been cycling 10 days and getting some green algae. Water currently pH 6.8, Ammonia 2ppm and annoyingly nitrites and nitrates at zero even though I am seeding with aquavitro seed bacteria. See how it goes I guess
  6. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Alright, long detailed post, sorry in advance. TLDR; can you cycle a sponge filter in an empty tank and retroactively add it to an uncycled tank successfully? Also looking for lighting recs. I’ve kept RCS for a while in a 5 gallon planted tank but I finally upgraded to a 10 gallon over the...
  7. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    I had dosed my planted aquarium with a lot of ADA Bacter 100 bacteria product, and my fishes were happy, but due to an emergency aquarium sealing failure, I had to remove all the water and my 20-gallon sump(full of water) was also shut down for 11-12 hours, now its been a few days putting the...
  8. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hello! I'm Eva from the Netherlands and new to this forum. I have a question about nutrients and ammonia while cycling my tank. It's a 84L (I think 22g?) tank with a fluval 3.0 but no CO2. I am familiar with the nitrogen cycle but since I am cycling fishless I wonder if I need to add a small...
  9. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hello, In early April, I started up a new 90G tank and began a fishless cycle using Fritz's ammonia (made specifically for aquarists doing this sort of thing). Two months later, I have not achieved an ammonia reading of zero and I'm wondering if this community can help me to understand why, and...
  10. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hello, five weeks ago i set up my first aquarium. Volume: 5.5 gallon ( 21 litre) Substrate: organic soil capped with small rocks/pebbles/gravel from the beach Plants: Eleocharis parvula, marsilea hirsuta, vallisneria americana asiatica, ludwigia, anacharis, hygrophila 53b Heater/Filter: None...
  11. Plants
    I was just gifted a 20 gal tank. It came with a heater, thermometer, filter, LED lights. Whatever comes with the topfin starter kit, essentially. I’m not super sure where to start. Ideally I would like to keep live plants and mostly shrimp, and a few small fish if necessary for the overall tank...
  12. Planted Nano Tanks
    Hi everyone. I am coming up on 4 weeks of my first aquascape. here are some details: 10 gallon, eco-complete substrate, driftwood, lots of plants i cant even name half of them, plant light by fluval set 7 hours a day at 25% intensity. (youtube directed me to use lower intensity because 10 gal is...
  13. Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
    Hello! I've been a lurker on this forum for well over a year, everyone on here is immensely helpful and has guided me through my shrimp journey from the start. Normally I can find a solution for all my problems just by searching these forums but I'm at a standstill right now. I recently upgraded...
  14. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hey yall, I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank, im unsure of what stocking, but I currently have fluval stratum and driftwood, no plants. I am cycling with API quickstart as well as seachem stability. It took around two weeks for my ammonia to come down near 0, however I have not seen an...
  15. General Planted Tank Discussion
    I've got a 20 gallon and I'm going to make it high tech (this is my first time). I want to dry start some Monte Carlo, S. Repens, and Hygrophila Pinnatifida (amount in that order), but I'm also worried about algae popping up, so I'm torn on whether to dry start or cycle first. Can they be done...
  16. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hey yall, I am very new to the planted tank world, but prior to this i've been keeping reef tanks for a few years. My main confusion stems from pH. I have a 10 gallon low tech setup that is currently cycling. I used some spiderwood and fluval stratum as my aquascape. I've noticed that my pH...
  17. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hello! I am soon going to be transitioning my tank from dry start method to being flooded. I have monte carlo and S repens in there currently. I will be adding some more stem plants the day I flood. I read alot about quite a few water changes when you get a new planted tank. So one of my...
  18. Fertilizers and Water Parameters
    Hi there! Hope everyone is safe, sane and well in these crazy times. I've just bought my first aquarium in years and I'm super excited to get cracking now - my husband and I have decided on fancy goldfish instead of tropical this time. I'm planning on doing a planted aquarium (have researched...
  19. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hi all, new to planted aquariums and to this great site! I started by buying a 37 gallon tank (22” deep, minus a few “ of substrate), putting down some carib eco complete substrate, and got planting. My goal has been to do what I guess would be considered a “silent cycle.” Basically I just...
  20. General Planted Tank Discussion
    Hiya. I set up a 15 gallon tank around 40 days ago and did a fish in cycle (my partner came home one day with a Betta in a cup). I planted heavily with mostly foreground plants, carried out regular water changes (usually 25% or more daily), and tested my water daily. I saw my ammonia levels...
1-20 of 86 Results