Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =) - Page 73
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #1081
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipper View Post
Any issues with algae? How long is your light period? Tank looks MINT, love that driftwood.
Thank you!

Had a bit of cyanobacteria before everything was established. Some hair algae as well, but both were pretty minor cases...increased flow, started dosing, let frogbit take over the top...problem solved

Lights are on 8 hours a day 12-8. The 4 T8s are actually quite bright so i had to raise the light until i could get some floaters.

Awesome tanks people, keep it up!
shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #1082
BigTom
Planted Member

Figured this thread needed bumping up from page 3.

Who needs CO2 and dosing schedules? 8 month before and after -

BigTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #1083
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^^^^

Been following your tank since you posted the original thread a while ago. Goes down as one of my top 10 favorite tanks I've seen in the water keeping hobby. So well balanced.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1084
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Great job BigTom!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #1085
Silky
Algae Grower

older picture of one of my 55's, mainly just java fern crypts and flame moss, i do basiclly nothing to this tank. Has 2 48inch T8 6500k lights on it I bought at Lowes.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #1086
Leighkai76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

My 45 gallon low tech/no Co2 set up. I do occasionally use Excel but don't really notice much of a difference. 2 6500k T5HO, O+ root tabs, just started weekly ferts with API leaf zone. Two canister filters. Weekly 25-30% water changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130417_133851.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	140962  

Last edited by Leighkai76; 05-10-2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: added more info
Leighkai76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #1087
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky View Post
older picture of one of my 55's, mainly just java fern crypts and flame moss, i do basiclly nothing to this tank. Has 2 48inch T8 6500k lights on it I bought at Lowes.

Referring to your lights, do you have 2 dual 48" shop lights, as in 4 t8 6,500k bulbs total?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #1088
Sharpchick
Planted Member

My 29 gallon
FTS

Male guppies

10 gallon - male betta, 3 ADFs
FTS

Dubya was tired. Said, "Night, night."

Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #1089
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Here is my 29 Gallon that I just started a journal on. I just ordered 10 yellow shrimp and am in the process of collecting what I need to properly take care of them. Forgive my inability to use my DSLR correctly. I need to figure out why the top gets overexposed and the bottom is dark. It looks much more "balanced" as far as light goes and lush in person.

Equipment Rundown

Stand: Petco Brooklyn 29 Gallon Metal Tank Stand

Filters: Undertow undergravel filter connected to three Whisper 20's (Two with filter media - on 24/7 all the time - another with just a airstone and small mesh bag half full of peat pellets - on only at night -)

Lighting: Stock 29 hood retrofitted with AHSupply 55w compact kit with polished reflector. (4) TrueLumen 12k LED Moonlight pucks, (2) TrueLumen Blue pucks. All-Glass aquarium top.

Heater: Aqueon Pro 100w

Substrate: Mix of "medium" size light naturally colored gravel mixed with Flourite Red (Approx 60/40) Capped with Eco-Complete

Other things: Malaysian Driftwood, Red Slate, Black Vinyl background, the usual timers, and dimmers for the LED's.

Plant Species: Mellon Sword, Marimo Moss Balls, Red Nesaea, Micro Sword, Java Moss, Java Fern, Bacopa, Wide Leaf Sag, Water Wisteria, Red Ludwigia and Dwarf Hairgrass.

Stock: 1 Lg. Kissing fish. Name is Fred. I have had this guy for approx. 7 years since a friend of my wife moved away. I was going to get rid of him when I revamped this tank but don't have the heart to. He has one eye, the other he lost the lens a very long time ago to...well I have no idea what) If he really starts to rip things up (he does a little at night mostly) then I may have to let him go.

2 Baby Marbled Angels, 3 Black Mollies, 3 Gold Mollies, 1 Zebra Danio (mistake by LFS) 5 Brilliant Rasbora and a couple of Olive Nerite snails.

I dose 1 cap-full of Flourish Excel every other day, 20 percent water change once a week. I keep the tank at 78 degrees. I am not going to vacuum the gravel unless absolutely necessary.

On to the pictures...

And with the LED's on:

EngineChauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #1090
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

My 10 gallon betta tank...still very much a work in progress...substrate is 2 inches of mineralized top soil capped by sand and some gravel. The lighting is a T8 15w 6500K fluorescent. HOB filter, Marinelife 100w heater set at 75 F. Using root tabs for three crypts wendetii (2 undulata [?] and 1 Tropica) Floating plants are anarachis and some riccia. Would love to add some small foreground plants or more java moss...

This tank is not as beautiful as many on this forum...but it's a start...this sure is a fun hobby

Last edited by Saxtonhill; 05-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: always my bad spelling
Saxtonhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #1091
Silky
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
Referring to your lights, do you have 2 dual 48" shop lights, as in 4 t8 6,500k bulbs total?
no, just 2 lights, 64 watts total. I can't remember if I had 1 10k light and 1 6500k light on this at the time. I was trying different bulbs and seeing how they looked.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #1092
extrame
Algae Grower

update on my tank
Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #1093
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Really like this tank

Very well done low tech. There are many many great looking low tech tanks on here but it's good to see a few that really get filled out like this. I'm going for kind of the same style. Some broad leaves in the back, dwarf sag, and more stems. Hoping mine fills out to this point by the end of the year. Can you give us a few quick specs on your tank? Mainly just lights, substrate, dosing, and what that really fine leaf stem plant bush is on the right? Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrame View Post
update on my tank
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #1094
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrame View Post
update on my tank
Wow, reminds me of a lush rain-forest, looking great!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #1095
extrame
Algae Grower

Thanks bpb, I recently trimmed this tank. Took out the cabomba I had in the left back portion of the tank to make more space for the hygro polysperma. Also took out some stargrass, blyxa, and pearlweed from this tank and transfer them to another tank. i have collectoritis!!

the plant on the right side is najas. They are really fast growers.I have to trim them on a weekly basis. It reached a point where it was touching the front glass and so the plants under it weren't getting any light. I have 4 t5 shop lights on this tank. We custom made the hood. Re-used dirt subs capped with pea gravel. No dosing no co2 in this tank

Last edited by extrame; 05-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
extrame is offline   Reply With Quote