Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =) - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #151
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru
 
waterfaller1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
The colors are amazing. Tell, tell, lights, ferts, Co2, please.

I would love to try to replicate this in a 10 gallon tank. What are the plants, lights, ferts, Co2?
I have no idea..hehe. The ferts would have been to the Seachem chart. No CO2, just Excel. I believe the lighting was a T-5 desk lamp at some point, then it may have been switched to a Current T-5 fixture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Carole's little cube tanks have always been some of my favorites.
Thanks Laura. I miss them.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #152
TetraJeff
Algae Grower
 
TetraJeff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saint Cloud, MN
Posts: 38
Default

This post is somewhere else, but I will share it here anyways
The tank is a 29gal
Filter is what came with the tank, a quietflow.
I got a 170gph powerhead for additional Co2 injection, besides the Co2 ladder.
Lighting is 2 24" T5 at 48 watts total, life-glo and colormax.
I got 5 cardinal tetras, 5 glowlights and 8 neons, 2 otto's, 3 ghost shrimp.
Plants are
1) Ricca Fluitans on the dw.
2) Rotala SP. Nanjenshan
3) Cyprus Helfer
4) Nesaea pedicellata golden
5) Rotala Rotundifolia
6) Cryptocoryne parva
7) Echinodorus "Red Flame" sword
8) Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
9) Wisteria
10) Dwarf Hairgrass
11) Anubias Barteri Var. NANA
12) Java Fern
13) Bacopa monnieri
14) Rotala Magenta
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank10 022.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	23821  

TetraJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #153
Kamivy
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
Default

My low tech shrimp cube:

Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Lighting: 1 x 9w power compact fluoro
Filtration: cheapie HOB
Ferts: None, only additive is daily Excel
Plants: Unidentified moss on mesh for carpet in foreground, subwassertang midground, blyxa japonica background. Anubias nana petite and weeping moss on driftwood.

Please excuse the blob of shrimp food in the front of the photo

Kamivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #154
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru
 
PinoyBoy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 1,349
Default

Kamivy, do you have any closer shots of the tank? Looking good.
__________________
Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
PinoyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #155
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 4,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraJeff View Post
The tank is a 29gal
I got a 170gph powerhead for additional Co2 injection, besides the Co2 ladder.
I thought being low tech this meant tanks without Co2 injected.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #156
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I thought being low tech this meant tanks without Co2 injected.
People define "low tech" differently. Many people consider the use of DIY CO2 still to be "low tech."
__________________
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #157
Rainwater
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Howard City michigan
Posts: 4
Default

Hi all, newbie here, well I use to have a tank of oscars but i got out of that years ago and now just getting back into the hobby. Picked up this 75 gal and stand fairly cheap and just got the 3 d background finished and installed. Its not running and I am monitoring it for leaching. Been running for a couple of days now and seems to be non so far, I think its due to not using concrete as an overlay, I used basically sand and portland, a mix called ultra tex, a friend of mine gave me a bag and I thought I would try it. Anyhow my next step is to build a canopy and try and figure out lighting on a budget. Any ideas? i have some natural sand I am going to use as a substrate.
Rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #158
dj2005
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Kamivy, do you have any closer shots of the tank? Looking good.
Yes, please give us more pictures of your cube. Looks very pretty.


Since I rescaped two of my tanks since my last post, here are updated pictures of them:

Mini M:
18w PC lighting @ 9 hours daily
2x dosage of Excel once per day
Ferts when I feel like it (~twice a week)
Fauna: RCS and Red Ramshorns
Flora: Mini micro sword, MM, E. tenellus, HM, Weeping moss, Subwassertang, Fissidens fontanus, Anubias petite


2.5G (added DIY CO2 ~2 days ago):
9w PC lighting
Ferts added when I dose my Mini M
Fauna: RCS and a Betta
Flora: Blyxa japonica, mini micro sword, Fissidens fontanus, Subwassertang, Mini Pellia, Anubias petite, Weeping moss growing emersed
dj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #159
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainwater View Post
Hi all, newbie here, well I use to have a tank of oscars but i got out of that years ago and now just getting back into the hobby. Picked up this 75 gal and stand fairly cheap and just got the 3 d background finished and installed. Its not running and I am monitoring it for leaching. Been running for a couple of days now and seems to be non so far, I think its due to not using concrete as an overlay, I used basically sand and portland, a mix called ultra tex, a friend of mine gave me a bag and I thought I would try it. Anyhow my next step is to build a canopy and try and figure out lighting on a budget. Any ideas? i have some natural sand I am going to use as a substrate.
Welcome to TPT!

This isn't quite the thread to discuss your tank setup options, but if you'll start your own thread for that I'm sure you'll get all kinds of feedback.
__________________
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #160
Kamivy
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Kamivy, do you have any closer shots of the tank? Looking good.
Thanks. I havn't taken any recent ones, I'll have to do that, but heres a couple more taken at the same time as the first one. It still needs more growing in yet and a tidy up. Please excuse the dirty glass.

Shrimp on the "lawn"



Close up (ugh freshwater limpet infestation!)



And an updated photo of my 5 footer posted earlier on page 8 of this thread:
Kamivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #161
Rhaethe
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
ADA mini m. River sand. No ferts or water changes. 27W 16 inches above tank

I absolutely LOVE this tank.

Can you tell me more details? Type of plants used, etc?
Rhaethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #162
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
I absolutely LOVE this tank.

Can you tell me more details? Type of plants used, etc?
The plants I see are Bolbitus in the background, Java fern 'trident' in the midground, and Anubias nana 'petite' at the bottom.
__________________
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #163
Rhaethe
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 275
Default

Excellent. I'd suspected the bolbitis and the nana, but wasn't sure of any others.
Rhaethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #164
naturelady
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraJeff View Post
This post is somewhere else, but I will share it here anyways
The tank is a 29gal
Filter is what came with the tank, a quietflow.
I got a 170gph powerhead for additional Co2 injection, besides the Co2 ladder.
Lighting is 2 24" T5 at 48 watts total, life-glo and colormax.
I got 5 cardinal tetras, 5 glowlights and 8 neons, 2 otto's, 3 ghost shrimp.
Plants are
1) Ricca Fluitans on the dw.
2) Rotala SP. Nanjenshan
3) Cyprus Helfer
4) Nesaea pedicellata golden
5) Rotala Rotundifolia
6) Cryptocoryne parva
7) Echinodorus "Red Flame" sword
8) Alternanthera reineckii var 'roseafolia'
9) Wisteria
10) Dwarf Hairgrass
11) Anubias Barteri Var. NANA
12) Java Fern
13) Bacopa monnieri
14) Rotala Magenta
TetraJeff, I just saw your post about your tank. I love it!! I like the colors, the setup, the variety of plants, the... well, everything. It looks very nice!
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #165
davinci27
Algae Grower
 
davinci27's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 87
Default

Here's mine.

Size: 1.5 Gallon
Substrate: Black Sand
Filter: Red Sea Nano
Light: 13W Compact Florescent - on from 9:30 - 5 each day

I don't use any CO2 or Excel. I don't do water changes I just top it off. I've got a water bottle that I fill and dechlorinate once a week. I put about 1mL of plant food in the bottle when I fill it up, then I use that bottle of water to top of the tank throughout the week.

davinci27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012