Slowly setting up my 30 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Slowly setting up my 30 gallon tank

Lets start from the beginning shall we...

I picked up my 30 gallon tank (36"x12"x16") from a person who was giving away their tanks because they were moving out of state. It was a complete setup, wooden stand, matching canopy, stock T8 light, heater, filters, etc...

Here's what the 30 gallon looked like when I got it

So I first set the it up as a medium lighting planted tank, well it was up for about a week until I started to notice it was starting to lean backwards which told me the rear support of the stand was going out. So I drained the tank, and I'm finally getting around to reinforcing the stand with all new bracing...

I have a 36"-48" Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ lighting fixture, that was on the tank before I tore it down, and I'm now selling it. With that money I'll be hitting Home Depot to pick up some new 2x4's, etc... Then I'll get started on reinforcing the stand, and I would like to make a low tech planted tank with the following...

Lighting - 36" Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 2x21w (6500k bulb, colormax bulb)

Filtration - SunSun Hw-302 canister filter

Heating - 200w Eheim Jager submersible heater

Substrate - Mineralized Topsoil capped with Flourite black

I was thing of getting BOYU FS-602 Cooling Fans to attach them onto the canopy to insure the lighting doesn't get too hot.

I want to make it moderately planted with a couple swords, crypts, vals, dwarf sag, anubias, etc.... As for live stock, I was thinking of around 6 Amano Shrimp, a school of 15-20 Neon Tetras, and a pair of German Blue Rams or Electric Blue Rams.

So I'm thinking the T5 light fixture should work just fine for a low tech system, but I'm not for sure on going with that light or a different one. So if you were setting up this tank as a low tech (must be low tech) would you change any of the setup, and if so feel free to tell me about it.....

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 12-03-2014 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

A T5HO dual would probably be to much with out co2 or getting it up higher off the substrate. I have a 40b that i have co2 and a quad T5HO and if i shut down the front two lights and shut off my co2 how i started the tank it grows algae like crazy and thats 24" off substrate
rebelbuck1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Also instead of slacking on a filter look around you can usually find Eheim 2215 classics for 50-100$ and if you do go with a T5HO aquatraders.com has a odessea T5HO that is nice and comes with 6500k bulbs its nice for under 70$ once again i have the quad and for the price it is very nice just dont get the timer ones they have problems

Last edited by rebelbuck1993; 11-21-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

Well the Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Freshwater is a T5NO so it's not as intense as a T5HO, and because I really want to set this tank up as a low tech tank I feel the T5NO fixture should be plenty of light so the plants will grow, but won't grow as quickly as they would under a T5HO fixture.

Here's the Coralife T5NO fixture I want - http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualig...p/res58122.htm

As for the Odyssea T5HO Quad w/ timers they actually work pretty well, I've had my 48" Odyssea w/ timer for around 5 years now, and one of the ballast just went down on it and a replacement ballast is only $20.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Good. And the only reason i dont recommend the timer ones i have heard in the last 2 years they are failing more maybe the older ones were better however i cant say. Just going off reviews of recently bout ones.. i hope mine lasts 5 years i was only counting on it for 2-3 so thats good hope for me
Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

Yeah the old Odyssea lights with timers could start a fire, and they were so unreliable but the newer series of the fixtures they changed to a new ballast system inside them because it was the old ballast that were shorting out and causing major failures, and some fires.

The new ballast in the new series of the T5HO systems are quick disconnect ones that the wires to/from the bulbs now just clip right into the ballast, and they have 2 separate ballast for the lights, 1 for the front bulbs, and 1 for the 2 back bulbs. Even the timer has it's own ballast and is quick disconnect and can be replaced with a new one, you can get the replacement parts here...

http://www.aquatraders.com/category-...show=90&page=1

The replacement parts for the T5HO are

Internal LED Driver 5V 650mA 3W for T5 HO Deluxe Fixture

Replacement Digital Timer for T5 HO Quad Deluxe Fixture

Internal Ballast for T5 HO Quad Deluxe Fixture w/ Built-in Digital Timer Quick Disconnect
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I want to make it moderately planted with a couple swords, crypts, vals, dwarf sag, anubias, etc.... As for live stock, I was thinking of around 6 Amano Shrimp, a school of 15-20 Neon Tetras, and a pair of German Blue Rams or Electric Blue Rams.

So I'm thinking the T5 light fixture should work just fine for a low tech system, but I'm not for sure on going with that light or a different one. So if you were setting up this tank as a low tech (must be low tech) would you change any of the setup, and if so feel free to tell me about it.....
What I would suggest is to skip the Neons for Cardinals if you are going with Rams of any kind, especially Germans. They like far warmer waters than Neons (we're talking close to twenty degrees here).

Same look, but completely different fish which will be much more responsive to a tank that should be kept between 82F and 84F for centerpiece Rams of any kind.

Your plant stock, your substrate, etc. should all fall in line just fine. You probably won't even need a fan considering your tank should run warm for the Rams in the first place.
IDR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
James`
Algae Grower

Hey sweet tank. That filter is plenty of filtration for your system. I do not know why someone above said it was slacking.. All a filter needs to be is something to move water through... The GPH will be fine.... I've been using sun suns for awhile. Remember bio diversity in your filter media leads to aquarium stability. Consider additional methods of circulation to elimination dead zones.

I like Indian Ghost Eels in my substrates to stir up dead zones..

You'd be keeping the Neons a little above their high preference and the Rams at their lowest in my opinion. It can be zone with clean conditions.. Will your neons thrive? Yeah they absolutely will adapt to these conditions.

I like your idea of using the cash from the LED with low PAR for money to build the stand up. Get some quality ATI T5 bulbs, don't spare expense here... this will make your low tech system flourish. ATI Bulbs..

The plant selection is sweet! I like how it's scattered heights.
James` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Reason i suggested a better filter is because the sun sun's have alot of bypass and bypass means dirty unclean water goih back into the tank. That is why i dont like them. I perfer filters with out trays because it has to go through the media to get to the other side then whede trays can allow water to pass by the sides
Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, but I like the SunSun canister filters, they're inexpensive, and do a really god job at keeping the water nice and clear. I mean for the price of say an Eheim 2217 I can get two SunSun Hw-302 canister filters for around the same, and that matters to me since I live of of disability.

I understand why you don't like them, but for someone on a fixed income they're well worth it. I budget around $100 per month just for my aquariums since they bring me peace, and tranquility and give me something to do during the winter months lol.

Since August I've spent the planned aquarium budget on upgrading all of my fishing gear for 2015, since it's all been upgraded I can get back to my aquariums, and getting them fully set up with everything I want for both my 30 gallon, and my 45 gallon long which will end up being a high tech planted aquarium.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
rebelbuck1993
Algae Grower

Yes i under stand your point but like i said you only need a eheim 2215 never did i say you need a 2217 a 2217 would be over kill on a 30g and for the price you can get a 2215 50-70$ if you shop arround you will have a better filter for just a little more and never have tp worry about it breaking or failing like he sun sun's do.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

Even a 2211 would work just fine on a 30G. I run one on my 29G.
IDR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #13
James`
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuck1993 View Post
Yes i under stand your point but like i said you only need a eheim 2215 never did i say you need a 2217 a 2217 would be over kill on a 30g and for the price you can get a 2215 50-70$ if you shop arround you will have a better filter for just a little more and never have tp worry about it breaking or failing like he sun sun's do.
What makes you feel as though the SunSun Canisters break? Just like any canister, make sure the trays fit when you put them back in, and close it gently. These products are not designed to be forced. They close and operate as designed just fine..

The pump inside has no documented functionality problems to suggest it'd stop adequately filtering the aquarium to optimal ability. Yeah the plastic pieces require some slow gentle force but they get put together and move water just fine.

But yes the Germans did a good job on their Ehime. I say go Italian and stick with Hydor. You get a better quality product, for less... Plus they give you a lot of extra pipe/tubing/4ft of spray bar.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
fishhes
Algae Grower

Sunsun filters are the best filter for the money. I bought mine for $40, threw in a liter of Seachem Matrix and some coarse and medium foam and it was good to go. Total cost of about $60 and it has been working great. You could buy two of them and still be under the cost of other brands.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
James`
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhes View Post
Sunsun filters are the best filter for the money. I bought mine for $40, threw in a liter of Seachem Matrix and some coarse and medium foam and it was good to go. Total cost of about $60 and it has been working great. You could buy two of them and still be under the cost of other brands.
You just described my 60! I have two of their biggest canisters operating with matrix, bio ball, and ceramic rings. It's a clutch method

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.