Low tech successes an failures.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Low tech successes an failures.

Even after a few decades in this hobby I'm still experimenting and trying new things. Unfortunately sometimes it works and sometimes it well bombs

My first major success was the 125 jungle that's been setup for 3 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405035904860.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	344050

This year I'm testing out MGO capped with different things.

Successes

Dwarf sag.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405036145342.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	344058

Dwarf hairgrass

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405036168012.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	344066

Dismal failure - pigmy chain sword.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405036244452.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	344074

Anyone know what the heck is wrong with this stuff.. sheesh...
THE V is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

That low tech jungle tank looks awesome. Pygmy chain swords are pretty easy to grow. Maybe it's the lighting and nutrient levels or combination of the two out of sync or something. Try adding more plants in that tank.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lighting is identical to the dwarf hairgrass tank. They are both 10G tanks with two 23w CFL bulbs above it. all three smaller tanks share one timer on the lights. The rotala is my fast growing nutrient sink. I prune it out trying to give the dwarf pigmy swords time to grow. The sword was growing well then I went away on a few business trips and it melted. I've been gone for 2 weeks per month internationally since april.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Aw man, sorry to hear that, V.. It happens; sometimes life just really intrigues, and we have to put down our hobbies temporary to focus on our goals and job.. Happened to me before as well with some of my plants while I went on vacation for several weeks overseas. I wasn't surprised though.. kinda knew it was bound to happen. Well, I hope they perk up on you later on.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Weird. What's the substrate?

Possibly iron deficiency?? Swords in general tend to have high iron demands...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Are you using co2?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Are you using co2?
Low tech forum -- Nope. I'd love to go the CO2 route but I just have too much travel to be able to keep up with the higher maintenance. I just past 90,000 airline miles for this year... in 6 months.... ugghh.. The reward of the airline treating you like a human instead of sheep isn't really that much.

Substrate is MGO capped with Flourite. Shouldn't have an issue with iron. I also blended in Osmocote & charged the potting soil with a few months of my low tech dry fert formula at setup. This is the mix that I use in my 125G that has a bunch of swords in it.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm curious why your pygmy chain swords did not do well in MGOPM (did you use the potting mix variety?). I have pygmies in my 3g bubble bowl, yes I know lot smaller tank but they are growing runners like mad all over. I will say the original leaves of the first 2 plants put in (oldest of old leaves) have died off but all new growth and new plants are healthy. Set up has MGOPM, black diamond 'sand' cap, 13w 6500k cfl bulb on 6 hours about 18" above substrate now (fighting hair algae, use to be 13"ish above 'sand') no added ferts just shrimp and snail poo.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
Even after a few decades in this hobby I'm still experimenting and trying new things. Unfortunately sometimes it works and sometimes it well bombs

My first major success was the 125 jungle that's been setup for 3 years.

Attachment 344050

This year I'm testing out MGO capped with different things.

Successes

Dwarf sag.

Attachment 344058

Dwarf hairgrass

Attachment 344066

Dismal failure - pigmy chain sword.

Attachment 344074

Anyone know what the heck is wrong with this stuff.. sheesh...
Yes i have a suggestion:

Plants does compete of nutrients, i am thinking that those tall plants in the background outcompete other plants of nutrients. I have had the same scenario in one of my tanks.

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'm curious why your pygmy chain swords did not do well in MGOPM (did you use the potting mix variety?).
Same bag of MGO in all three dirted tanks. Just different caps. Dwarf Sag - Eco-complete, Dwarf Hairgrass - Builders sand, chain-sword - Flourite.

It grew really well and then just melted. The A. reinekii is also struggling for some reason in this tank. The other two it's starting to become a weed.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

But are you using Miracle gro organic potting mix, Miracle gro organic choice soil, Miracle grow organic choice garden, Miracle gro organic tomato and vegtable, or Miracle gro organic choice blood meal?
You just list it as mgo, but there are several varieties.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #12
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

MGOPM-

Sorry I was typing on my phone. I've got the MGO saved on the spell correct but not the MGOPM. AUTOCORRECT TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

Kind of frustrating on this one as I've work in agriculture research and have gained some expertise on plant nutrition through trial and error. I've also got a little 2.5 gallon shrimp tank that is doing really well. This little 10 gallon bugger just ain't cooperating.

You missed the MGO African Violet BTW :-) Talk about effective use of brand image. They are getting a better price with a very effective ad campaign.

I used to have a special mix made up when I ran greenhouses that would put any of the MG products to shame. The secret is a minor percentage of sand. If done right it provides stability and drainage (no large wood chips, perlite, or vermiculite needed. It does add a lot of weight however.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
adive
Planted Member

I agree with the other post, that plants compete for nutrients and the fastest ones seem to succeed.

Even I have had great success with dwarf sag in my walstad (no co2 injection, no excel) tank, the one in my sig. no experience with pygmy chain swords...
adive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #14
Pandanke
Algae Grower

Have you tried selectively adding o+ pearls in the substrate beneath the most troubled areas? I know many feed heavily from the water column, but considering o+ is slow release, and low maintenance is very good, it may help? I add them with my lilies and swords, even in my dirt tanks as they seem to do much better.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
angelcraze
Planted Member

I have a few MGOPM tanks set up (all low tech), one is carpeted with pygmy sword (tenellus) if that's the same plant. I've found that the pygmy swords took a bit longer than other plants like dwarf sag and chain swords to establish. I don't find they root as deeply either. With enough light, the leaves turns pink, I don't think two 23w spirals on a 10g wouldn't be enough, I have only a single t5 and 12w LED strip on my 33g with tenellus.

Although, focussing more on the other plants, I see you rotala? is sweeping the surface. I would try pruning it down. I wonder if the rotala or sweeping plants are robbing out all the co2, what you do have. Also, since I mentioned that I don't find tenellus roots as deeply, and I find the runners creep above the substrate before they root in, I would say that you need more water column ferts. On top of that, I was surprised how much surface/floating plants shaded my plants underneath even if they were delicate.

This is just me, but I might add some kind of sword to use up the dirt nutrients better, and it's roots to aerate the compacted dirt. You could even try replacing some of the stems with a sword or two and see what happens, not all stems......
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote