No tech jar
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
AdamS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

No tech jar

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me advice on a no tech setup?

The only sort of tech is rising heat from my snake tanks.

Can alternanthbra riniki, java moss and java fern live in cold water or does it need to be in warm water
AdamS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Repteel
Algae Grower

Java fern and java moss have done ok in a non heated betta tank. Not sure about the other. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363465 has a bunch of links to other jar that you could find some info in. I've been there looking at ideas for setting up one.
Repteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repteel View Post
Java fern and java moss have done ok in a non heated betta jar...
Bettas require constantly heated water AT LEAST in the range of 78F.
HDBenson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
yoplait70

Default moss in cold water jar?

can java moss grow temporarily in a jar, or would it be overcome by algae in no time?
yoplait70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoplait70 View Post
can java moss grow temporarily in a jar, or would it be overcome by algae in no time?
Depends on your: lighting power, distance from moss, and time its on (or if using sunlight-how much direct/indirect and how long its exposed).

Btw get a heater. Unless you live somewhere that air temp is permanently over 80F you'll need it. Besides its better to keep a consistent temperature for the fish. In a small jar especially temp swings will happen more easily from the smaller volume of water which can stress the betta and possibly lead to sickness or issues like finrot.

.. And what size "jar" are you looking at putting a betta in? I hope its at least 2g if not larger. Keeping them in mason jars is not sufficient for them, they'll have no room in something so small. Also again.. smaller water volume= less stable environment (temp flux and pH depending on water source or items in tank like wood and IAL).

I have a 2g Anchor Cookie jar with jardin mini sponge filter, azoo micro temp controller, and a cobalt mini 10 watt heater. Have a happy active delta boy named Alastor, some mini ramshorn snails, and 6-?? cherry shrimp, planted tank with fissedens fortunas on very old driftwood (no more tannins) + salvia minimia.

I really won't recommended anything smaller than 2g especially for a no tech. The more volume the more diluted ammonia will be, especially since moss will grow slow so its not the best option for absorbing ammonia.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-17-2015 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: added photos and details
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
childofiam@att.net
Algae Grower

Really cool setup....
Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
It seems it can grow permanently in a jar or clear vase. Not sure if you can see the picture of the strands of java but that was from one strand I threw in there to see if it would grow. that's probably more than 6 months now. It's at my desk at work so on the weekends there is no lights on and it's not by a window. It is light by some yellowish flourescent tube just a foot above it.

I periodically top it off and every week or two I replace the entire contents of the filtered water I let sit for a few days because of the dust that gathers in there. It doesn't get any additional fert so whatever is feeding is in the water.

I have another vase, I should give its own housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	475713  

mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofiam@att.net View Post
Really cool setup....
Thank you ^^
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Miss Cellany
Algae Grower

Quote:
ime most aquatic mosses can grow in an unheated unfiltered jar permanently but if you put the jar where it will get sunlight, you'll get algae growth that could smother the moss.

The way to get around that is to put a snail or shrimp in the jar with the moss - they'll eat any algae that grows and leave the moss alone (a snail will also clean the glass for you).

Don't use a snail that can reproduce on it's own... or soon you'll see nothing but snails!
Miss Cellany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.