Low tech Discus tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
matt87

PTrader: (0/0%)

Low tech Discus tank

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum... I currently have a low tech planted 65 Gallon tall that I am swapping to a 90 gallon tall this weekend. Just some background on the tank, it has been operational about 2.5 years now, II run (2) eheim 2217 canister filters (1) all bio (1) all mechanical. I run a HOB uv filter, the (2) lights are from aquariumplants.com they are their custom LED lumenblaster series, 36" long (1) 60 degree (1) 90 degree both are 6400k. I'm waiting for them to release their new dimmer so I can ramp them on and off. Right now they run 6hrs. Tank is kept at 88 degrees

All water parameters are perfect. On my 65 I do 15 gallon water changes every week, when I get the 90 setup I'll be doing 20 gallon water changes. I dose with API stress coat and Seachem flourish weekly. I have no algae problems, everything seems to be going smoothly

I'm new to the hobby in terms of plants, I've finally had some success getting plants to live more then a month. I'm not 100% sure what plants I have as horrible as that sounds, I just go to my LFS and take whatever I can get that looks healthy. since I'm upgrading the tank, I figured maybe it's time to take my plants more seriously...so...What parameters should I be checking for healthy plant life, what plants do you suggest and where should I buy them. I will post some pictures tomorrow

Thanks for your time
matt87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 03:17 AM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

It's good to take your plants more seriously, but if you don't mind my saying so, it's more important to your intended project to take discus more seriously than the plants, given the cost of discus vs. plants.
If you want to be successful at discus-keeping, I hope you have done some advance homework on discus-keeping, and appreciated the importance of avoiding getting your discus from an LFS, and acquiring them only from a well-known, recognized reputable source for supplying quality discus.
May I suggest you consider acquiring your stock from Discus"R"Us (discusrus.com) of Ocean Gate, N.J. who are high quality discus suppliers. Check them out.
Then get fish of no less than 4" in size, or larger, and increase your wcs to at least twice a week @ more than 50% quantity.
Also lower your tank temp to 82-83 F - 88 is far too high.
Best of luck to you.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #3
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

P.S.
FYI, Matt,

Here's a link to very favorable commentary by a new discus-keeper who just ordered some discus from James @ Discus"R"Us of Ocean Gate, N.J.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...om-Discus-R-Us

You have the advantage of being located just a short drive away from Ocean Gate, so you can go see their discus in person, and select the fish of your choice on site.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
matt87

Yes, the discus are my main priority. I have 6 Discus in the tank and I've had them about 2 years now. I got them all around 2" they are all 4"-5". I got them all from discuss madness in north jersey, great people to deal with. As far as tank temp I got the 88 degrees from a few different places, they said it helps with digestion. I've never had to treat them for any kind of diseases either.... But maybe the 88 degree water is what's making my plants rot. How would you suggest lowering the temp as to not stress them? 1-2 degrees a week?

I wanted to post pictures of the tank but can't figure out how to
matt87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

You can lower that temp fairly quickly- even in as short a time as overnight or less.
That's likely what it would take for the temp to fall in your tank if you just reduced the heater setting at once from 88 to 83.
But you could do it a little more slowly to be completely safe if you wish - say lower the temp setting to 85 one day, and drop it further the next. No problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.