Outdoor Small Ponds
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Outdoor Small Ponds

Hello TPTF...

Hopefully, this subject comes under the "Low Tech" heading. Now that the nice weather is winding down at least in northern Colorado, it's time for me to prepare for next spring. Thought a small, outdoor pond might be a nice addition to my back yard. Nothing fancy that needs a lot of work, but a galvanized trough, say 6 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet. A few landscaping bricks around it for looking pretty and then some floating plants like lilies,
Chinese evergreen, Dwarf cattails with some Pond weed and Hornwort floating. Some multicolored Goldies for some activity in the tank. Can't be too expensive.

What do you all say? Are you with me?

B
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Get a Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock Tank http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ch/stock-tanks , not galvanized. The stock tanks are up to 300 gallons. I know a few people here in NJ that use them and have them sunk in the ground. Here's another brand 8' Dia x 2' deep. Better for plants. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...x-2-ft-plastic

I use plastic 55 gallon drums that I cut off the top 1/3 and leave it above ground. Last year I lost my hardy lily because it got so cold. My Sagittaria subulata survived though and is still there today. Going to go through another winter. Eleocharis from my local town pond survives fine freezing solid. I have Lobelia cardinalis from a fellow club member growing as a runner above water. I transplanted some to a muddy pot and have it indoors by a western window along with an Amazon Sword. I also have some left outdoors and it too will freeze.

Watch small children falling in.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
LittleMy
guppy wrangler

We had a fairly low-tech pond at our last house.

- Definitely go with the Rubbermaid stock tank over the galvanized tub. Bury part of it if you can.
- Small comets are pretty cheap and colorful. They grow fast.
- Put some rocks or build a shelf for some bog plants in one corner. Dwarf cattails really make it look like a pond. (For the winter put the dwarf cattail in the deepest part of the pond and it will usually survive)
- Water hyacinth is cheap and multiplies like crazy
- Yellow snowflake has lily-like leaves and pretty flowers and is much cheaper than a hardy lily and better suited to a small pond. You can bring it in for the winter.

We had frogs that appeared every year and some of the tadpoles usually survived to adulthood.

For a filter I bought a cheap pond fountain and zip tied some filter medium to the intake grill. Kept the pond clean and clear like a champ. Put it up on a brick so it doesn't suck up the muck and leaves at the bottom of the pond.

Adding a pond to my new house is high on my list of to-dos.
LittleMy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Outdoor Small Ponds

Hey Guys...

Thanks for the tips! I've had large indoor tanks for years, but wanted something outside that was low maintenance. Will collect all these bits of information and have a plan ready to go by spring.

Thanks again,

B
Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
LittleMy
guppy wrangler

Other than the tank, fish + plants + pond filter/fountain should be less than $100. Make sure you post pics! :-)
LittleMy is online now   Reply With Quote