Switching from high to med light...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Switching from high to med light...

Placed this in the low tech section to see if I might get a couple of people who don't do CO2 that have Bacoba and/or Alternathera reineckii
in their tank that would put a picture of it in here.
I have no trouble controling the algae in my tank/w T8 bulbs(2) on it, but the tank/w a T5 fixture is just overwhelmed with light I guess and
cladophora runs wild in it. I keep pulling out some/dosing Excel directly on it etc and it just comes back like I did nothing.
So going to buy the same light set up I have on the T8 tank and get rid of the T5.
But I am wondering what to expect out of my Bacoba M. (I believe) and
the Alternathera reineckii that is just getting started in there and is still very small pieces of it...both plants, the Bacoba is 2" to 3" pieces of new stems also.
Two T8 bulbs should be in the 60 PAR range. The T5 was 100 PAR according to Hoppy's chart by brand of fixture.
The tank gets light amounts of full ferts, Micro/Macro with an inert sub that has a few beads(individual ones) of Osmocote+ burried under each plant with my tweezers.
Any photos out there of either of these plants grown under med light/no CO2 ?
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

I guess if no one has any pictures of those two plants grown in 60PAR I'll have to just do it and see what happens.
Decided on a different way to do it though. I added a piece of plastic canvas to filter the light through. I'm usng the #5 mash which has 3/16" size holes instead of the usual 1/8" size. Noticeably larger holes. Don't have access to a PAR meter to see what it is now but will just leave the hrs the same and see after a month.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a finnex planted plus and I am able to grow plants that are more difficult than bacopa m. But my 15 stems have been in my tank for a while and have been stalled. Just recently getting some.new growth but it seemed to be shocked and wasn't doing anything for a while there.

My bacopa caroliniana grows slow but healthy. Like bacopa m its slow and almost seems to stall for weeks at a time.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for the reply.
I really don't know how much this plastic canvas will reduce the PAR. Regular screen wire is said to reduce by "up-to-40%" but this stuff I'm using is untried territory at least as far as I know.
The Bacoba stem pieces which I have stall from time to time for a few days. But they are very small and as such they take in very little light.
I'm also suspicious of my ferts being not enough of. As long as it just causes slower growth I can live/w it.