Anyone using a Coralife Aqualight?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-01-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone using a Coralife Aqualight?

i recently bought a 20"/28watt fixture for my 10gallon. when i turned it on, it was not as bright as my previous 2x15NO setup.

the bulb was much shorter than i expected. anyways, has anyone used this fixture (with correct bulb) for their 10gallon? what kind of results?

here's a pic of the fixture for ppl that dont have an aqualight:

DOH i didnt see the lighting forum
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
marjesatl

I have this light over my 10 gallon. I had a 10000k light as a spare from my sw reef that I have been using.Overall I am pleased with this pc setup.
marjesatl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Avalon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a 48" 4x65w version. I find it to be a good light. It still gets kind of hot even with the 4 fans. I dig the finish.

On the bulb size, my guess is that you can. In reality, it depends on the ballast. It will either light the bulb, or it won't. There isn't much tolerance when dealing with flourescents. If the ballast is too big, then the extra power will be wasted as heat, but if it's too small, it simply won't work.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 01:18 AM   #4
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I have a 48" 4x65w version. I find it to be a good light. It still gets kind of hot even with the 4 fans. I dig the finish.

On the bulb size, my guess is that you can. In reality, it depends on the ballast. It will either light the bulb, or it won't. There isn't much tolerance when dealing with flourescents. If the ballast is too big, then the extra power will be wasted as heat, but if it's too small, it simply won't work.
thanks. i deleted my previous post, after realizing i can not get a bulb that is square pin more powerful than 28watts and still fit in my fixture.

i opened the fixture and the bulb is 48watts, but 36watt bulbs dont come in square pins to match the fixture.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:53 AM   #6
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

If you have the 2x15NO, you should have just overdrive them. I overdrove my 2x15 4x and it was brighter than the 2x36PC I use right now on my 10gl.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

the reason i switched to aqualight was not due to lack of light. i had enough light. i was looking for a better looking fixture, im going to buy the aqualight legs and use them on a trimless tank so im giving it a full make over.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Fish Tank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021
thanks. i deleted my previous post, after realizing i can not get a bulb that is square pin more powerful than 28watts and still fit in my fixture.

i opened the fixture and the bulb is 48watts, but 36watt bulbs dont come in square pins to match the fixture.
Hey cb,

Actually they do. States-only order though. I just bought some from Drs Foster and Smith. Here's a link to the site that I had bookmarked:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2004

You want the 17" version

The Sunpaq Dual Daylights are the ones you ideally want. They're 6700K on one half and 10000K on the other of the same bulb. Great spectrum. Will your 28w ballast properly drive a 40w though (question goes out to other members as well)?

I have 2 old 40w with 10000K/Actinic for you to test out with if you want (I replaced them with the new ones) since you're in T.O. before you go hunting them down. I also have 2 spare Sunpaq bulbs (new) that I bought as replacements when the new bulbs degrade. You can fire one up to see if you like the spectrum IF my old ones work for you.

LMK & Cheers
John

Oh, and if the 10000k/Actinic is good enough for you, you can keep one :-)
Fish Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

www.hellolights.com sells lots of square pin bulbs....cheap too!
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.