DIY Lily Pipe for Nano tank - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #46
tyler79durdan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

GREAT work you guys! That really is some serious ingenuity. Me likey!
75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
tyler79durdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #47
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak13 View Post
Do they sell this acrylic tubes at local stores like Home Depot?
If not which websites sell them. I really wanted to try them out after seeing this.

that would be awesome if they sold these at home depot. l also wanted to try this out.i'm just curious if it's this link :

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147&

or this one?
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=463&

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #48
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have seen some acrylic tube at either Lowes or Home Depot but it was all scratched up and I considered it unusable.

From Tap Plastics this is the link for the tubing:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=141&

And this is the link for the rod that I use to plug the ends:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147&
I didn't go into a whole lot of detail on how I plugged the ends so once I get a little spare time I'll do some pics on how I do it.

The bike pump might work but really you need to be turning the tube over the heat and blowing almost at the same time. Plus trying to keep pressure in the tube all at the same time. Might have to give it a try though.
AquaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #49
NutZilla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

great ideas really, I was blown away. I'm totally going to make one of these. But one thing cross my mind, how are we going to clean the lily pipe and the drop check? especially the drop check. Or do we have to buy that special cleaning tool for the lily pipe that was sold by ADA. Anyone thought of this?
NutZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #50
peter1979
Algae Grower

great idea, some seriously good diy skills on this one. This could even make you some money, probably costs a couple of $ to make an in and outflow and could be sold for $10
peter1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #51
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutZilla View Post
great ideas really, I was blown away. I'm totally going to make one of these. But one thing cross my mind, how are we going to clean the lily pipe and the drop check? especially the drop check. Or do we have to buy that special cleaning tool for the lily pipe that was sold by ADA. Anyone thought of this?

Use pipe cleaner from your local craft store.

Best wishes,

Wes
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #52
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is the most exciting DIY thread I've ever read. So I can buy a heat gun and some acrylic tubing and go nuts??!! My tank desperately needs a nice clear Lily pipe, and this has me so excited!!! Thanks for posting!
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #53
familyman03
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi all awesome work. However what is a drop checker and lily pipe and what are they used for? Also could I do one big enough for my 110 "cube" I would love to hide my piping? Thank you.
familyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #54
deleted_user_6
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, got a quick one for all you who have done this. I am trying to make myself some of these pipes, but I can't seem to get the bubble blown right. I am using 1/2" tubing with 1/8" wall. Every time I try to blow a bubble, it blows out, and for some reason, I cant get it to be a long bubble. I am thinking either I am getting the tube too hot, or I am using tubing with a wall that is too thin.
deleted_user_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #55
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Me too. I can bend the tubing and stretch it out okay though. Suspect practice and patience plus wasting a bit of tubing is going to be the key here.

I just heated the end and flattened it to seal the bottom. Using heat to polish the edges too.

For $5 of acrylic, some salt and my $1 garage sale heat gun I am having a blast and just might come up with something useful and NOT breakable.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #56
heydude819
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

I used 1/2" tubing with 1/8" wall to make a lily pipe for the outflow of my 2217. The secret is to heat about 2 inches of the pipe evenly. Once the pipe can bend, start blowing in slowly. Once you get a bubble going, keep blowing until the outer diameter of the pipe doubles. Once it reaches that diameter, quickly cool it in a bucket of cold water. If the bubble isn't big enough, just slowly reheat and repeat the process. If one bubble doesn't suit your needs, just blow a second bubble next to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefang View Post
Hey, got a quick one for all you who have done this. I am trying to make myself some of these pipes, but I can't seem to get the bubble blown right. I am using 1/2" tubing with 1/8" wall. Every time I try to blow a bubble, it blows out, and for some reason, I cant get it to be a long bubble. I am thinking either I am getting the tube too hot, or I am using tubing with a wall that is too thin.
heydude819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #57
deleted_user_6
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You were right, I was heating to small an area. Now it seems that the tough part is cutting the bubble, without chipping it into uselessness. The fine toothed hobby saw isn't working out for me, and I am too cheap to buy a dremel right now. I did manage to get a decent one by heating a razorblade, and using it like a hotknife. It's keeping the razor hot enough that is the issue.. sometimes it gets stuck if you don't move fast enough.
deleted_user_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 AM   #58
heydude819
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

I wasn't delicate with my pipes as most of the people here. I took out my miter saw to cut the bubble at a 45 degree angle. Cut it slowly for a clean cut with no chipping. The bending comes after the saw.
heydude819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #59
skerzfan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Excellent post! I can see myself doing some serious experimenting....
skerzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #60
dvancook

anyone thought of using an airbrush to blow into the tube? The end of most would fit easily, it's almost infinitely adjustable pressure-wise, and sure would save on sore cheeks.
dvancook is offline   Reply With Quote