How to prime a canister filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

How to prime a canister filter?

Hello,

Very simple question as per the title! I've only ever used power internal filters and just wondered how you prime a canister type. I know the newer ones have a press like button which does the job but any tips etc would be useful... imagine you would suck on the end of the tube to get the water flowing? but this surely would be a bit messy!?

Graeme.
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It really depends on the brand of filter. Most all of them come with directions. Many are self priming. But I can tell you that the old suck on the hose is not going to work. Once you attach the hoses to most filters they are pretty much on there for life.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

One trick is to fill the canister as much as you can, assemble it, with both intake and outlet hoses submerged in the tank, and then plug it in. Tilt the canister to the side to submerge the impeller and it will start suction, pulling the air in the lines through. You might need to hold it on its side for a minute and tilt it upwards a few times to expunge the air, but it works and there's no nasty tank water in your mouth.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I think the Eheims have a priming button. The filstars you unscrew a cap on the intake pipe and use the funnel provided to fill the intake hose with water. then you lower the latch on the filter, which allows water to flow in/out of the canister. A natural siphon pulls water into the filter from teh intake, and air blows out the return pipe until the filter's full. Wait 2 mins, then plug in the filter and viola!
Once primed, it stays primed unless you remove all water from the intake hose, which you'd have to do deliberately.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eheim Classics don't have a self priming button. They do sell a self priming bulb that makes it easier, but I usually just do the ole classic sucking on the hose to prime deal. I have found with the eheim classics though if you just close the double taps, remove the filter to clean or whatever, bring it back and open back up the taps the usually it doesn't need to be re-primed.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote