DIY CO2 and Halgen ladder question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
ermaclob
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 48
Default

DIY CO2 and Halgen ladder question


im putting co2 in my new 37 planted, i just started putting co2 about 3 days ago and am concerned about the effectiveness of my co2 ladder. im getting about 1 bubble every 1.5 maybe 2 seconds. is this good? does it also matter how high the ladder is in the tank? mine is close to the top and was wondering if this would have an effect.

also considering the size of my tank would more then one DIY co2 reactor be needed?
ermaclob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
newday3000's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 475
Default

I've used the hagen system in a 46G with good results. The longer the CO2 bubles are in contact with water the better so putting the ladder at the bottom is better
newday3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Standish, MI.
Posts: 1,826
Default

Man I have the same setup, CO2 wise and at the most I can only get 1 every 7 sec. What's your recipe for getting 1.5 to 2? When I bought mine there was dust one the box so I not sure how old the yeast was, but I just used the last pack. Therefore, I will have fresh from now on. Do you add baking soda to yours?
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
ermaclob
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Man I have the same setup, CO2 wise and at the most I can only get 1 every 7 sec. What's your recipe for getting 1.5 to 2? When I bought mine there was dust one the box so I not sure how old the yeast was, but I just used the last pack. Therefore, I will have fresh from now on. Do you add baking soda to yours?
my recipe=

2 cups of brown suger
3/4 of soda bottle of water
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of yeast gives me 1 bubble every 2 sec
~~~
1/4 teaspoon yeast = 1 bubble every 5 sec



im thinking another 1/4 teaspoon will give me 1 bps or more
ermaclob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
ermaclob
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday3000 View Post
I've used the hagen system in a 46G with good results. The longer the CO2 bubles are in contact with water the better so putting the ladder at the bottom is better
how many BPS were you getting, and do you have any picks on how your tank did?
ermaclob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Standish, MI.
Posts: 1,826
Default

Sorry to jack your thread but I have a question to pertaining to the Hagen ladder also. I mixed up a new batch today and it's off and running. I get about 1 bubble every 3 secs. but it just started. When it first got going the bubbles got smaller and smaller as they traveled up the ladder. No the continue to stay the same size the entire way up and them come out of the ladder and float to the surface and pop. When they stay the same size, does that mean that the water is completely or almost completely saturated with CO2, or is it something else?
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
ermaclob
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Sorry to jack your thread but I have a question to pertaining to the Hagen ladder also. I mixed up a new batch today and it's off and running. I get about 1 bubble every 3 secs. but it just started. When it first got going the bubbles got smaller and smaller as they traveled up the ladder. No the continue to stay the same size the entire way up and them come out of the ladder and float to the surface and pop. When they stay the same size, does that mean that the water is completely or almost completely saturated with CO2, or is it something else?
Im dont have that much XP with the ladder but i dont think thats good
ermaclob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 2,710
Default

For your size tank, I suggest two bottles and a third as a water filter to prevent backups.
With two bottles you swap one each weekend for continuous production. Three is perfect as they start petering out at three weeks and you always have two working. Each generator bottle will need a check valve.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
hbosman
Wannabe Guru
 
hbosman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg Virginia
Posts: 1,595
Default

Another consideration is the temperature in the room where the yeast generators are. A few years ago, I was using a Hagen Ladder with two bottles, a Tee and check valves. I would get good CO2 production in the summer but, not so good in the winter. The temperature in the basement drops to 68 degrees in the winter and is in the high 70s in the summer. Algae was always a challenge, especially in the winter.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012