Should I bother with CO2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Should I bother with CO2?

Firstly I apologise for asking a question that I know has been asked hundreds of times! but after reading for many hours I still donít know!

so, I have a new AquaNano 40, 55l aquarium to set up, it will be housing a little family of Dwarf Puffers. I have the standard AquaOne LED light for it which is much brighter than I was expecting, as my Puffers like the shade I donít want to get anything brighter but I do want a densely planted environment for them.

so my question is, is it worth me putting a CO2 system on my tank with a basic light set up or am I wasting my money?

I do actually have another AquaNano 40 aquarium set up as a community tank with an 18w PL light which I have always had problems getting plants to grow. I have one sword shaped plant in there which is the only thing I ever got to grow!

as it is more important for this aquarium to be densely planted, I really want to get it right before the fish move in!

I've been looking on CO2supermarket and have pieced together a kit using soda stream bottles for £50 which isnít too steep if it will make a difference!

substrate is just aquarium sand. donít know what else to add but let me know if I've missed anything.
yamaha1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=975044

v3
Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

i would choose plants with less requirements or dose excel. for a small tank, i dont believe high tech is the way to go.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Ok so possibly not bother with the CO2. would you be able to suggest any low-tech plants for me to try? I get so confused sitting staring at Latin names!

I want a grass like carpeting plant for the front and then some bushy type plants for towards the back of the tank. Not a huge fan of some mosses so would rather stay away from those.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=498666

I love Blyxa Japonica.

v3
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

From trying to cross reference that list with some plants i can find for sale, this set looks to be what i need all in one??

http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/pla...tank-118-p.asp
Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I like tanks with CO2 and without. In many ways, I like tanks without CO2 more, but having the ability to grow everything is nice. I actually split the difference on my current tank and am using lower light and injecting a small amount of CO2.

One thing about plants is that with the proper light, the lack of CO2 isn't that limiting. I have found plenty of plants do fine without CO2, many can be very colorful as well. Some just won't color up and look nice but most will, maybe not as much, but still well enough to enjoy. Low tech does not have to be low light, you just can't go to far with the lighting.

I guess my point is, you can easily enjoy a planted tank either way. The main difference is most carpet plants don't do well without CO2 and lighting that makes CO2 a requirement. Many will grow OK, but the time makes it a factor.

Honestly, at this point, try to consider the needs of the scape and plants I want to keep, rather than the opposite. I found myself investing a lot of money so I could grow anything, just to have much of it grow fine without CO2.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info!! I've done some reading in the past about aquascaping and to be honest I'm really not interested in substrates and CO2 and daily fertilisers etc etc, I keep aquariums to keep fish. This is why I've never bothered with any of this extra equipment.

Having said that, this is the first time I've kept a fish that has a specific requirement for how it needs it's live plants to be. I am looking at liquid carbon and weekly fertilisers as a sort of compromise to get some big, green, bushy, healthy looking plants to suit my puffers , I'm just getting confused with all the Latin names!!

So will daily liquid carbon, weekly fertilisers and the led lighting I have be enough to grow nice looking, colourful low tech plants using only aquarium sand and no real plant substrate or will I be wasting my time with them?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
OVT
Carpe Diem

It is doable, as many tanks in the links I gave show. Also check peoples' journals. This forum has all the info you need and more. If you want dwarf puffers, you need to invest some effort into research: search and read.

Here are some more examples that might help:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3644897

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=5587305

v3
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Steve002
Planted Tank Obsessed

Many plants do not need CO2 to grow and grow well. CO2 just speeds up their growth. The increased light actually speeds up the growth but the CO2 and the ferts then become necessary to sustain it. You get some of your ferts from the fish waste and the fish food so with just a few more additions, such as root tabs, a little Excel now and then, and maybe a bit of other ferts, combined with the right amount of light and you can achieve a nicely planted tank with minimal maintenance needed. As mentioned above you'll want to choose the right plants though.
Steve002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Many plants do not need CO2 to grow and grow well. CO2 just speeds up their growth. The increased light actually speeds up the growth but the CO2 and the ferts then become necessary to sustain it. You get some of your ferts from the fish waste and the fish food so with just a few more additions, such as root tabs, a little Excel now and then, and maybe a bit of other ferts, combined with the right amount of light and you can achieve a nicely planted tank with minimal maintenance needed. As mentioned above you'll want to choose the right plants though.
Thabks for the info. So my plan is to dose liquid co2 daily and then supliment fertilisers once a week.

Thus is the plant collection I'm looking at, it seems to have everything I want and according to their website, the plants included are all low light, low co2 plants! Would you mind just confirming what they say about the selected plants??
http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/pla...tank-111-p.asp
Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Steve002
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm no plant expert but I have some experience with a few of them.
Vals are easy to grow and will quickly fill your tank so you will have to cut their runners and keep them under control. They are susceptible to melting with Excel if you dose heavily at first. They need to be acclimatized over time.
Crypts are always nice and not hard to grow either.
I'm not familiar with the others listed but would recommend the anubias family of plants to you. They are slow growers but they look good especially as they can be mounted on wood or rocks. Swords are also nice and are not hard to grow, and they come in all different sizes.
Steve002 is offline   Reply With Quote