Drop checker/Bubble Counter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drop checker/Bubble Counter

Just checking before I order; If I have a drop checker I don't need a bubble counter?
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
jrill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would recommend one. It gives you a reference point when you adjust your co2
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Two separate items telling you different things. Bubble counter will tell you if and how much CO2 is flowing toward the tank. It gives you an idea of how a change you make when adjusting. Drop checker will act very slow but tell you what it sees as far as how much CO2 is actually staying in the water.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

Is there somewhere I can find a diagram (not video) of how all this stuff hooks up? Does the bubble counter hook up directly on the regulator, then the tube goes to the inline diffuser?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Lots of options in almost all the parts for CO2. Many commercial setups do put the bubble counter directly on the output of the solenoid.

For simple line up, it goes like this in many cases.
Regulator first thing off the CO2 tank. Solenoid is the "gate" and often goes next. Whether it is directly hard plumbed to the reg or set off to another spot on tubing is a part of the decision on which equipment you like. Next in line is normally a needle valve to do a bit finer adjustment on the flow of the CO2. Most of the time a bubble counter is placed so that you can see bubbles passing to give you a visual of how much more is going through after you adjust either the pressure, needle valve or both. Then it is still another decision how you get the CO2 into the water. Some use a reactor that is inline. It bubbles the CO2 into the stream of water passing through before passing it into the tank. Others run the tubing to the tank and use a diffuser to make tiny CO2 bubbles in the tank water.
Many, many options and lots of decisions on what you want, like, and are willing to spend.
It's all about concessions and making it work for what you want.
You will also likely want a check valve to keep water from running back into the other parts where it can really mess things up.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 09-13-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: add
Old 09-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

That depends on the kind of BC. If it's hard-plumbed to the regulator assembly (which I don't recommend), then yes:
Reg+BC -> tubing -> diffuser.

Or

Reg -> tubing -> BC -> tubing -> diffuser
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

This is one way that I have a tank set up. There are dozens of ways to do much the same. CO2 out of the tank passes through the regulator directly hard plumbed to the yellow Clippard solenoid. When powered on by a timer, the solenoid passes gas to the tubing down and then up to the needle valve mounted on the angle bracket on the side of the door. The needle valve can be adjusted to allow more or less gas to pass through down the tubing to the cheap little Fluval bubble counter where I can see any changes I make. From the bubble counter tubing takes the gas around behind the tank to a reactor. The reactor mixes the gas into the water and goes to the tank.

You will find there are many advantages as well as disadvantages to every system. My system suits me because I do have a stand where I can place things like the needle valve and bubble counter where I feel they are convenient and easy to reach. Then when I want to change CO2 tanks, I can unscrew the regulator and lay most of the fragile parts back out of harms way so I can drag the tank in and out.
But if you don't have space or a stand to hang things on, hard plumbed may look far better to you even though it may not be as convenient and easy to change tanks.
One of the big reasons I don't want the bubble counter and the water it holds put directly over the other parts is that most of us have never really found a check valve that we fully trust. Some are better than others but most fail at some point so I don't want water so that it is directly mounted on top of the parts I want to keep dry. There are lots of things that work some of the time but water running downhill is one that rarely fails so I don't put it right over the good stuff!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

Thanks all for the help! by golly, I think I got it-lol!

Don't know if this makes a difference or not, I would like to set up my eheim 2213 today, but won't have all the parts for the co2 until next week. Would it be easier to wait and do it all at once? Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to add the inline diffuser after, but if there is the slightest way to mess something up, I will find it.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

It really doesn't matter when you do it. The BC is easy to add on.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote