Getting ready to order need help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
TRENT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Getting ready to order need help.

Need advice first time co2 user. Looking to get co2 setup and a new light.

The tank is a Fluval EBI Nano, MGPS topped with Stratum and a Fluval 3G filter I want to add co2 so I have less limits on what I can grow. So my question is on lighting and co2 setup. Here is what I'm planning to get any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED

GLA, Atomic paintball co2 V2
Atomic co2 bubble counter w/valve check
Atomic co2 diffuser 45mm
TRENT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you're doing the G3 filter I'd go with an atomic inline diffuser instead, less stuff in your tank.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
TRENT
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
If you're doing the G3 filter I'd go with an atomic inline diffuser instead, less stuff in your tank.
Excellent point. Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for good advice.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I've read a lot more reports of people having problems with Finnex LEDs lately, and most seen to be having problems after the short warranty is over. If you want to go led I would look I to perhaps BML, I have a BML light and it works pretty well, I prefer different lighting over led though.

GLA makes good stuff, I would also recommend their in line diffuser, or the in line diffuser from eBay. I've read a lot on the diffuser from eBay and it's speculated that they are made at the same factory and are the pretty much the same, except one is branded GLA and one isn't. I ended up getting the one off eBay and it has worked great! You will want to get a check valve for it as well, I only use the metal kind, they are a but more expensive than the plastic type but work better for the pressure from the co2.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
klibs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 for metal check valved on an in-line atomizer.
Definitely worth avoiding disaster if a cheaper one lets go.

If you have the $$$ to blow I would look into BML.
I personally run a 12" Finnex Planted + on my 5 gallon nano but you will probably want more light if you are going high tech. I like Finnex because they're cheap, look good, and I have not had problems yet. The Ray 2 might work good for you (never owned one though - they can put out a lot of light)

However with a better LED fixture you can get things like dimmers for them and have sunrise / sunset, adjust lighting schedules, etc... You get what you pay for.

EDIT:
If you do get a planted + you may want more light down the road. 1 will definitely do fine especially with pressurized CO2 / good fert schedule.
klibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
TRENT
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I've read a lot more reports of people having problems with Finnex LEDs lately, and most seen to be having problems after the short warranty is over. If you want to go led I would look I to perhaps BML, I have a BML light and it works pretty well, I prefer different lighting over led though.

GLA makes good stuff, I would also recommend their in line diffuser, or the in line diffuser from eBay. I've read a lot on the diffuser from eBay and it's speculated that they are made at the same factory and are the pretty much the same, except one is branded GLA and one isn't. I ended up getting the one off eBay and it has worked great! You will want to get a check valve for it as well, I only use the metal kind, they are a but more expensive than the plastic type but work better for the pressure from the co2.
What other lighting do you prefer? I'm not sold on LEDs just read it in another post that tit was a decent light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
+1 for metal check valved on an in-line atomizer.
Definitely worth avoiding disaster if a cheaper one lets go.

If you have the $$$ to blow I would look into BML.
I personally run a 12" Finnex Planted + on my 5 gallon nano but you will probably want more light if you are going high tech. I like Finnex because they're cheap, look good, and I have not had problems yet. The Ray 2 might work good for you (never owned one though - they can put out a lot of light)

However with a better LED fixture you can get things like dimmers for them and have sunrise / sunset, adjust lighting schedules, etc... You get what you pay for.

EDIT:
If you do get a planted + you may want more light down the road. 1 will definitely do fine especially with pressurized CO2 / good fert schedule.
I know what you mean you get what you pay for. Just left the saltwater hobby. thanks for the advice.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Default Getting ready to order need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENT View Post
What other lighting do you prefer? I'm not sold on LEDs just read it in another post that tit was a decent.

I personally love T5HO lighting. I also use standard CFL bulbs on smaller tanks. One of the main reason I like T5Ho fixtures is at any point I can change it around to whatever I want by just swapping out the bulbs, cannot really do that with LEDs unless you have one designed to work on a controller that allows you to control the independent LEDs.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
KH2PO4
Planted Member

If to pay more money, not effectivity, is your priority, buy expensive metal check valves.

Some expensive metal check valves that failed that I could find in 10 minutes.

Swagelok
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00348.html
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...182#post123182

Clippard
http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...s-working.html

If effectivity is your priority, buy flat disc type plastic check valves (not the barrel type),
and ignore its lowly cheap price.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=699497
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
TRENT
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH2PO4 View Post
If to pay more money, not effectivity, is your priority, buy expensive metal check valves.

Some expensive metal check valves that failed that I could find in 10 minutes.

Swagelok
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00348.html
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...182#post123182

Clippard
http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...s-working.html

If effectivity is your priority, buy flat disc type plastic check valves (not the barrel type),
and ignore its lowly cheap price.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=699497

What one do you recommend? Is the GLA one plastic? Is it any good?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I personally love T5HO lighting. I also use standard CFL bulbs on smaller tanks. One of the main reason I like T5Ho fixtures is at any point I can change it around to whatever I want by just swapping out the bulbs, cannot really do that with LEDs unless you have one designed to work on a controller that allows you to control the independent LEDs.
The only reason I wanted to try LEDS is the no bulb replacement but I do get what your saying. Back to the drawing board. I have some homework to do.

Also what size inline diffuser?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
KH2PO4
Planted Member

The ones I use are non-branded. You can buy them from eBay based on the flat disc shape.
You can also buy them from USPlastic.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3369&catid=489

Last edited by KH2PO4; 08-14-2014 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Edit URL, delete url.
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
TRENT
Algae Grower

Nice, thanks for the link (saved).
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #12
BDoss1985
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Ebay inline diffuser works great for me been about 2 years now I do clean it when I see larger bubbles start to come out a little soaking and some cleaning with Qtips seems to clean it up just fine.
BDoss1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Carrie.a.gordon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What size is the tank? I have a finnex monster ray that I've had for two years now. The light gets really hot and I feel I am on the verge of failure. So that being said I'm pretty sure it would have been cheaper to replace light bulbs four times than buy another light fixture...

I just set up a five pound co2 tank with an inline diffuser last week. My diffuser is homemade and works very well. The bigger co2 tank I think will last about six months so that's nice too.
Carrie.a.gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #14
TRENT
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie.a.gordon View Post
What size is the tank? I have a finnex monster ray that I've had for two years now. The light gets really hot and I feel I am on the verge of failure. So that being said I'm pretty sure it would have been cheaper to replace light bulbs four times than buy another light fixture...

I just set up a five pound co2 tank with an inline diffuser last week. My diffuser is homemade and works very well. The bigger co2 tank I think will last about six months so that's nice too.
Ya not sold on the Finnex fixtures still looking at other options. Tank is 8 gallons I believe. 11.8x11.8, 13.75 inches high
Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #15
Carrie.a.gordon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fluval makes a nice led for planted nano tanks. I have it. I love it. Ordered on amazon for pretty reasonable price.
Carrie.a.gordon is offline   Reply With Quote